Twitter Updates!

Questions, ideas, and general discussion of Outer Colony.
Administrator
Site Admin

Re: Twitter Updates!

Postby Administrator » Tue Dec 13, 2016 1:46 am

I've posted a handful of Twitter updates in the last few days.

Showing off a rogue biologist, arriving on our multiplayer test world:

A screenshot of colony growth in the autumn, also on the multiplayer world. A world narrative thread update will be coming soon:

A pretty neat video of a full autumn day, condensed, as I progress on the multiplayer world:

Answering a question about cats in Outer Colony:

Added a user preference to enable and disable gore rendering:
Administrator
Site Admin

Postby Administrator » Wed Dec 14, 2016 4:04 am

Got a few more tweets in today. First, a new feature was implemented, requested by Torvus. This was a really, really good feature request:

And the start of my brother's colony on the multiplayer world:
Administrator
Site Admin

Postby Administrator » Thu Dec 15, 2016 3:01 am

Posted some tweets in a conversation today with @Dave_Draws and some other great people on Twitter.

My initial post was showcasing the new societal happiness report:

I got a funny question from @Dave_Draws:

I responded, showing how Outer Colony's DataNet is somewhat analogous to the real world's Facebook:

This was followed by an astute observation from @TeamAntMountain:

And my final reply, showing the configuration involved in imposing an oppressive tyranny:
Administrator
Site Admin

Postby Administrator » Sun Dec 25, 2016 4:09 pm

Loadsa' Twitter updates! Sorry I haven't posted to this thread in a while, but this should catch everyone up.

Announcing a new partner! Rombosaur has been in my Twitter crew for a while, and if you liked the classic Duke Nukem platformers, I really recommend checking out his game, MMM. It's solid!

This is the first high-speed video in a series that covers an entire playthrough, from alpha to omega! It starts out with world generation and embarkation here, and it will end with the eventual destruction of my colony at the hands of murderous raiders. More in the series follow this:

Here's the follow up video that picks up on the heels of the above tweet:

This is the next video of colony progress, showcasing lots more construction, manufacturing, and agriculture:

A couple screenshots of the current state of the colony:

Retweeting forum member Anachronic, who's testing some Outer Colony!

Tons more gameplay footage, showing the next video of my growing colony. If you're wondering what the digging is all about in the SW corner of my colony, I'm preparing to build a pretty awesome monument.

And last, but not least, a Christmas video of an Omspice tree in the snow!
Administrator
Site Admin

Postby Administrator » Mon Jan 09, 2017 8:32 pm

I've been derelict in sharing Twitter updates lately, but here are a ton of the entries I've posted since Christmas:

Here's a full year of gameplay, condensed into one high-speed video:

Here's a screenshot of the new embedded-video tutorial system:

Sharing screenshots of the new "micro" world size. This was made so that I could embed small world files into the installer, so users can follow the tutorial videos in the same world:

Another screenshot showcasing the video tutorials:

Here's a whole bunch of new sprites that I built into the last release:

Showing off all our slick menu icons:

Discussing how many lines of code comprise Outer Colony. This metric excludes the auto-generated code from protocol buffers:

Screenshots of a colony where I finally figured out the disappearing room bug that RetroPrincess discovered:

And today's video, showing filter / search capabilities in the order management dialog, also inspired by a RetroPrincess suggestion:
Administrator
Site Admin

Postby Administrator » Wed Jan 11, 2017 2:44 am

Today I shared more tutorial videos (high speed for Twitter, of course)!

And I posted a screenshot of the education policy dialog, which I promised Jennifer I'd clean up by aligning the controls...six months ago! I told her I'd do it, and I did come through! Eventually.
Administrator
Site Admin

Postby Administrator » Wed Jan 18, 2017 6:35 pm

Tons more Twitter updates! I've been spending a lot of time putting together promotional materials over the last week, but I should have another patch release out soon!

View of the tutorial colony as I make more videos for it:

Adding "Save As" functionality, another great feature request from RP:

A hilarious frame of myself from a promotional video I've assembled:

A quick video of a usability improvement for editing text boxes (like the Z level control) throughout OC. This was another request from RP, and Imperator asked for it as well:

Screwing up some rendering pipeline code as I work on a performance issue that Anachronic discovered:

Gathering world generator footage for an upcoming trailer video:

Posting some profiling and mini map imagery after I implemented an optimization. Rendering CPU demand should be down ~10-12% as a result of the mini map improvements.
Administrator
Site Admin

Postby Administrator » Tue Jan 31, 2017 1:23 am

There are a great many new tweets to share.

Administrator
Site Admin

Postby Administrator » Thu Mar 16, 2017 11:07 pm

It's been forever since I've shared Twitter updates, so here are a ton of them:

Administrator
Site Admin

Postby Administrator » Mon Jul 03, 2017 5:09 pm

You guys may have noticed that I haven't been posting very many updates to Twitter anymore. There are a bunch of reasons for this, but I don't think it's a particularly effective way to promote Outer Colony, given the results it's yielded over the last two years, particularly from a cost-benefit perspective in terms of the amount of time I have to invest to keep my Twitter feed active.

I might post a more significant retrospective on my Twitter use at some point, but I mostly just wanted to make sure you guys don't worry too much about the lack of recent Twitter activity. Development is chugging along, but I'm still trying to figure out the best way to share development news with people who are interested. I'm thinking forum updates may be the best way to go, since the people who actually are interested in Outer Colony seem to mostly be here.

Twitter has been a bunch of fun in many ways, and I'm glad for the sort of networking it's facilitated. I'm fortunate to have met so many great indie game developers and journalists by way of the platform, but I'll be looking for ways to more effectively keep Outer Colony's player base informed of progress moving forward. I haven't decided for sure on how to proceed, and I may try to return to Twitter at some point in the future, but in the short term, it's likely that my activity levels will remain somewhat low.

Thanks to everyone for your patience, and if you've got any questions or would like to discuss this more, please feel free to post!

Return to “Outer Colony Discussion”