World Narrative: Sablonix 3

Questions, ideas, and general discussion of Outer Colony.
Administrator
Site Admin

World Narrative: Sablonix 3

Postby Administrator » Sat Nov 26, 2016 4:06 pm

I think one of the neat things about Outer Colony is that each world develops its own sort of narrative as you play. We're still in the internal testing phase presently, but we're getting into some multiplayer testing on a dedicated server, and I wanted to set up this thread as a way to collaborate among players and to give a view into what playing Outer Colony is like to everyone!

Don't worry, as we will be expanding our test group and cutting a public release in the not-too-distant future, but I hope this thread helps you guys to experience a bit of Outer Colony in the meantime.

Our test world is Sablonix 3, a small world with fairly typical features:
A large, warm, southern continent dominates much of the planet. Scrub forests, prairies, and savanna occupy the continent's northern shores, bisected by a large river that flows from the continent's central mountain range. A large, interior desert lies in the rain shadow of the mountains, which are covered by cool, rain-soaked forests and capped with an extensive alpine region. Down the range's southern slopes are harsh jungles, comprised of merciless areas and populated by dangerous creatures.

In the world's northeast, a long, snaking continent is covered mostly by glaciers and tundra, giving way to a taiga belt and some dry forests and prairies. Much of the climate here is too inhospitable for agriculture, making it less than ideal for settlement.

The northwest quadrant of Sablonix 3, however, contains a very interesting island:
Measuring a few kilometers across, it has ample space to support several large colonies, and its windward shore is covered by lush, temperate forests. The climate is rather cold in the northern part, which is covered in taiga and a bit of tundra at higher elevations, but precipitation is abundant, and the land is adequate for agriculture.

What really makes it a great place, though, are its mineral resources. The most inhospitable part on its northern peninsula contains an impact crater site, which is full of impact crater ore (yields gold, platinum, palladium, osmium, and other exotic / extremely valuable metals). I haven't ventured that far north yet, but if someone wants to set up a mining camp there, I'd be glad to supply them with food in exchange for metals.

My colonists touched down on the southern edge of the Violated, Cold Grove, an area occupying the isthmus between the island's northern peninsula and its southern bulk. The conditions are milder there, and it's good for growing crops. I wanted to have an abundance of food as the first colony on-world.

My base camp is pretty small still, but I'm decently established and I'll start walling / fortifying soon:

Most righteously, I started with an extremely gifted colonist by the name of Heis Rok, who has already put his talents to work. I've already got my first exceptional item, and I died laughing when I saw what Heis decided to make:
Behold, Hixonitog, the Ultimate Yurt. A yurt, of all things, and the ridiculous name for it. Way to go, Heis. I'll be deploying the yurt shortly, which will likely give my colony something of a happiness overload. It's an auspicious start.

I'll continue to post updates here as the colony and world evolve, and if anyone has any questions or comments, feel free to post them! This is a multiplayer world, so I should have a couple more colonies springing up nearby soon. So begins our journey on Sablonix 3!
Administrator
Site Admin

Re: World Narrative: Sablonix 3

Postby Administrator » Tue Nov 29, 2016 2:36 am

Spring of world year zero has come to a close on Sablonix 3, and it was a season of construction!

My colony saw abundant precipitation during this first season, and I took advantage of the favorable conditions to grow a ton of crops. I expanded the water treatment facilities, and I've now got several desalination plants increasing potable water supplies. Ample water and the prolific grain harvest should leave me in a very favorable position to begin food and drink manufacturing, and I've set up the requisite equipment to begin!

With the colonists focused on resource acquisition, there hasn't been a ton of labor available for construction. Still, I've deployed Hixonitog, the Ultimate Yurt, and I'm working on furnishing it to use as office space for the colony's bureaucracy. I've also constructed walls around the colony's southern and western border, and I've leveled a landing site in the taiga on the northern end of the isthmus.

Here's what the colony looks like at its center:

Here are interior spaces, as I furnish everything. I've been working on consumer goods manufacturing to build up furniture supplies, but I don't have everything I need yet:

Here's a zoomed out view, showing the area I've walled off to defend:

This is the landing zone I've carved out. I'll be starting off-world trade soon:

A side effect of clearing these areas has been that I've amassed a solid quantity of valuable conifer and hard woods, which I'll be using to manufacture high quality furniture soon.

Mining has continued at a good clip, and my reserves of conventional metals are high. I'm sitting on top of extensive bauxite and cassiterite ores, so tin and aluminum are available in large quantities:

Note, too, that I do have access to minor quantities of uranium ores, which I'm working on refining. I'll be aiming to upgrade my energy infrastructure to nuclear in the near future.

One place where I have been falling short has been in keeping up with energy demands. You can see in the above screenshots that I've established a fabric synthesis station in addition to my ore refinery, and it's running around the clock converting ores to mineral wool. That soaks up a ton of electricity. I set up a chemical power generator and started mining anthricite to fuel it, but I had some trouble keeping up with the generator's burn demands. The colony did suffer a temporary blackout, but I've been trying to keep the generator fed by dedicated one miner to coal duties.

Energy reserves. Note the blackout on day 2:

Coal reserves for the generator. I've got to mine more:
Administrator
Site Admin

Postby Administrator » Sun Dec 18, 2016 12:52 am

Seasons have come and gone on Sablonix 3, and the world has seen a great deal of continued development.

During the first year's summer, the site of my colony saw abundant precipitation, which was a boon for agricultural efforts. Extensive grain reserves were stockpiled for the coming winter, and crop harvesting, coupled with mining and ore processing, constituted the bulk of my colony's economic activities during this time.

My colony's social network began to mature during this period, too, with interpersonal relationships yielding marriages and new children. Population expansion began in this manner, and the new people imposed some material demands that I wasn't yet able to satisfy through manufacturing. All colonists need a basic set of clothing to function properly, and to attain this for new people, I turned to off world trade. After initiating a trade request with Core Worlders, I was able to export large quantities of elemental metals (tin and aluminum) in exchange for the much needed attire. I was also able to stockpile some currency during this exchange, which would prove useful when I recruited my first set of migrants.

Trades arriving:

Details of the trade:

Toward the end of the summer, the world's first VIP landed to visit my colony. Dr. J. R. Rubicon, eminent biologist, celebrity chef, and beloved children's book author landed just south of my lands in his ship, the Star Wagon. He spent some time exploring, socializing with my colonists, taking concubines from my population, and generally being a pain in the neck. I didn't have any of the specimens that he wants or any items that he would find desirable, so I wasn't able to make any diplomatic headway with him. He did conduct a handful of unsanctioned mutation experiments on my colonists, which proved rather fortunate, as they actually yielded desirable traits on the test subjects.

The Star Wagon, landing on world:

A view of the inside of his ship. He travels with everything he needs to survive and generally lives out of his vehicle:

Toward the end of autumn, a new set of Core Worlder colonists landed on Sablonix 3! Taking up a position in a more hospitable climate to the south of my expedition, my brother Dave's landing party set down and began building. Several huts and light structures were deployed, and a basic power grid driven by solar and wind generators was established. A mine shaft was dug to begin accumulating ores, several trees were felled, and valuable hardwoods were stockpiled. As you can see in the screenshot of Dave's colony, Dr. Rubicon took notice of his base camp and developed a romantic relationship with one of his colonists. A roothead can also be seen stealing food from one of Dave's stockpiles, but his colony is off to a fantastic start.

Dave's colony:

As autumn arrived, my population continued to grow, and I aimed to expand my manufacturing infrastructure to support attire production. Clothing material requirements can be tricky, as fabrics are needed for everything and hydrocarbon products are generally needed for shoe soles. Fortunately, my colony is sitting on top of a huge amount of coal, which can be processed into the synthetic rubber I need to make shoes. I set up a hydrocarbon refinery, fed a very large volume of anthricite to my power generators, and started producing synthetic rubber. My population also continued to expand, so I started leveling terrain to build a sizable apartment block.

My colony is built on an area on the border between temperate forest and taiga, and these biomes undergo extensive changes throughout the year. In the screenshot below, taken during early autumn, you can note all the leaves that have fallen off deciduous trees and the ground beginning to freeze in the higher elevation of the taiga. My workers are starting to level a foundation for the coming apartment complex, and you can see the newly constructed hydrocarbon refinery in my machinery complex:

My economy's focus during the autumn was manufacturing the new apartment block. It's an 8 story tall structure, with 6 units per floor, giving me a capacity to house 48 families. That far outstripped my present requirements and would allow for considerable population growth. More fabric was synthesized for bedding, datanet terminals built for each room, and lamps, chairs, and other basic furniture items were produced to make each room desirable.

To this point, I hadn't provided any significant direction for my colony's local culture, instead leaving my colonists to produce and consume whatever media they desired. There are a great many advantages to promoting a society of free speech and thought, particularly for the free cultural archetypes (Dagoroths and Core Worlders), but my local culture started going off the rails, embracing values that didn't mesh with what I was trying to accomplish (specifically, the glorification of intemperance and anti-intellectualism in media).

To correct this, I'd need to enact some laws regulating media production and consumption, and to give these laws teeth, I'd need to build a prison system. In the screenshots below, you can see the state of my colony in late autumn, with the top story of the new apartment block visible in my colony's northwest and the new prison area visible in its southwest corner.

Once prison construction was complete, I set out a new culture policy, promoting the value system that I'd need to build and defend my lands, along with culture portrayals that would be necessary for befriending allies and combating enemies.

The new culture policy, promoting desirable values:
Policy regarding other cultures in media, making it easier to fight my enemies:
Administrator
Site Admin

Postby Administrator » Sun Dec 18, 2016 12:58 am

Toward the end of autumn, another group of colonists set down on Sablonix 3 in a more hospitable climate, just to the south of my expedition. My brother Dave landed a group of Core Worlders and began construction late in the autumn, building a few huts and establishing a simple power grid, driven by solar and wind generators. This group of Core Worlders set about exploiting the natural resources in the area, digging a mine shaft and beginning to extract various ores, and felling nearby trees to accumulate valuable hardwoods. The presence of new colonists attracted Dr. Rubicon, who began a romantic relationship with one of Dave's settlers. With shelters established, material industries functioning, and basic furnishings deployed, this new colony is off to an excellent start!

You can also see a roothead raiding one of the new colony's stockpiles for food in the screenshot below:
Administrator
Site Admin

Postby Administrator » Sun Dec 18, 2016 1:09 am

As winter arrived, harsher conditions beset my colonists. Freezing temperatures and snowfall made agriculture impossible, so my colonists shifted their focus toward manufacturing. During the winter, I manufactured more construction materials, primarily built from my extensive metal reserves. Mining and ore processing continued at full tilt, and production of consumer goods also ramped up. During the winter, I also established my first military units by designating personnel for two fire teams. A training regimen was also established, and a training area was built and outfitted with marksmanship targets. My fledgling militia began to take form, and since my colony has accumulated moderate wealth, it's likely that they'll be needed to defend its borders from barbarian incursions soon.

A view of the colony during winter. Note Dr. Rubicon wandering around my territory:

A closer view of my machinery hub, with manufacturing activities underway. You can also see children playing with chemistry sets and learning from assignments in the child care area:

I established and outfitted a small militia during the winter:

Here you can see the training regimen I established for the new units:

Late in the winter, I also engaged in another round of off-world trade, accumulating more currency, much needed attire, and a large amount of fat unicorn meat. My population was growing tired of brown bread, and the meat has allowed me to establish more wholesome and desirable foods, like burgoo stew:

Successful trade can be seen here:

Manufacturing desirable food:
Administrator
Site Admin

Postby Administrator » Sun Dec 18, 2016 1:28 am

Toward the end of winter, my media laws began having an effect, curbing the production and consumption of undesirable media on the DataNet. Unfortunately, elements of my population decided to break the new laws, necessitating their arrest and incarceration. Sistorn Beakman, for example, was found guilty of consumption of degenerate media and was jailed as a result.

The police order for arresting Sistorn Beakman:

Sistorn Beakman's memory data after he was exposed to positive media, designed to correct his previously aberrant views on Kelgonian culture:

Finally, toward the very end of winter, I recruited a new set of migrants. I spent much of my accumulated currency on attracting colonists with traits and skills I needed, focusing on highly intelligent, inventive people that would bolster my manufacturing capacity. Shortly after these new migrants arrived, Krul Oxijinn manufactured another exceptional item for my colony! This time, "Pwinvex, The Unholy Hydrocarbon Refinery" was built, and this will be an item of tremendous utility. Exceptional machinery items are among the most useful exceptional items, and this refinery will yield petroleum products at a tremendous efficiency. I'll be setting it up in the spring and will immediately use it to produce synthetic rubber, which will be valuable for export off-word and essential for the manufacture of more clothing.
Administrator
Site Admin

Postby Administrator » Sun Dec 18, 2016 1:49 am

The winter of world year zero was truly a time of momentous happenings on Sablonix 3. Another group of settlers, this time hailing from the Clans of Dagoroth, set down to the north of my expedition, on the coast of the Sea of Sleeping. Staking claim to a cold region of taiga adjacent to tundra highlands, this group of hearty stalwarts aims to exploit the bountiful mineral resources of the area. This northern peninsula of our sits atop the site of an ancient impact crater, extremely rich in precious ore. Yielding iridium, osmium, gold, uranium, copper, and iron, impact crater ore is among the most valuable in the game, and access to these material alone is sufficient to bring a settlement great wealth.

As winter turned to spring, these industrious Dagoroths deployed a pair of all-weather shelters, set up a simple power grid based on renewable resources, and deployed basic machinery for processing ore and manufacturing more equipment. Logging operations began, accumulating conifer woods to be used in later furniture manufacturing. A very deep mine shaft was dug, aiming for the bulk of the impact crater ore located far below the surface, but mining operations initially focused on shallower, more readily accessible resources. A large cavern was dug, various ores were obtained, and elemental metals were refined at the surface machinery. These elemental metals were then employed in the colony's first manufacturing endeavor, successfully building a chemical power generator! The generator was stocked with available coal, and a large energy surplus resulted, which will serve the colony well in coming seasons.

As spring dawned in the taiga, the Dagoroths sprung into action planting crops, aiming to take advantage of the short growing season to accumulate as much grain and essential food as possible. This colony, too, is off to an amazing start!

The Dagoroth colony in early spring - note the chemical power generator and burgeoning machinery infrastructure:

The cavern resulting from this colony's extensive mining efforts:

Return to “Outer Colony Discussion”