Release Notes

Questions, ideas, and general discussion of Outer Colony.
Administrator
Site Admin

Re: Release Notes

Postby Administrator » Mon Jan 23, 2017 3:54 pm

Version 0.5.29 is out!

This is a bug fix release containing patches for issues I encountered with my latest very large colony. Stability should be significantly improved for population > 150 colonies, and now that I'm passed gathering initial trailer footage, I should be able to focus a bit more keenly on testing, polishing, and producing more tutorial videos.

Resolved ticket #218: This was a bug that could occur when demolishing free-form structures, which would cause duplicate items to be created.

Resolved ticket #219: Fixed a bug that was preventing the minister of labor from performing his bureaucratic tasks.

Resolved ticket #220: I had accidentally deleted the tailor profession in a previous release, and this was preventing attire manufacturing.

Resolved ticket #221: This was a fix for a problem with gravity processing. Under certain circumstances, rock / soil / tile contents weren't being affected properly by gravity, causing them to hang in the air.

Resolved ticket #222: Fixed a bug where adult humans were not leaving their parents' nuclear families. This was causing them to continue living with their parents, even after they had gotten married and started nuclear families of their own.
Administrator
Site Admin

Postby Administrator » Tue Jan 31, 2017 1:11 am

Version 0.5.30 is out.

This release consists primarily of usability enhancements, adding an engine capability to render simple particle-effect-like elements, and making the user interface a bit more attractive.

Resolved ticket #223: This was a feature request from Anachronic to smooth out how the pan-world keys work when the main UI's view controls are selected.

Resolved ticket #225: Improved the item detail dialog by rendering item sprites in it. This ticket was just to make it more attractive.

Resolved ticket #224: This was another feature request from Anachronic to make it so that pressing the ALT key would open the menus at the top of the main UI. This helps make a keyboard-centric play experience more practical

Resolved ticket #226: This was a feature request to add tracer effects for rounds discharged from firearms. It makes combat easier to follow and more visually stimulating.

Resolved ticket #227: This was a feature request from me to always highlight the tile that the mouse is over. This makes it easier to do pretty much everything, as you can tell which tile is highlighted for any tool. You've probably seen me use the render elevations view option to accomplish this before, but the red square is a proper solution to this issue.

I'm working hard on an (experimental) new way to conduct guided, mission-like tutorials, and the next release should be very cool if I can pull off what I'm trying. The video tutorials are effective, but if I can get this all working, it should provide an ultimate, guided, step-by-step, easy-as-pie mechanism for learning to play Outer Colony.
Administrator
Site Admin

Postby Administrator » Wed Mar 08, 2017 11:11 pm

The new tutorial release is out! Version 0.5.31 has been in the works for quite some time, and I'm sorry that it's taken so long to get this release out. Preparation for the Greenlight campaign, creating promotional assets and other marketing work, and other administrative work absorbed a great deal of time. It's my hope, though, that the new tutorial system sets us on the right path toward onboarding new users in an easy and fun manner.

Resolved ticket #228: This was a feature request to add achievements to Outer Colony. We've now got a whole bunch of these.

Resolved ticket #229: This is a major usability improvement - we now render items translucently when a pending placement order exists for one. It helps a great deal in keeping track of activities that are underway.

Resolved ticket #230: This is the same principle as ticket #229, showing where pending structure nodes are being built.

Resolved ticket #239: This is the same principle as ticket #229, showing where light structures are being deployed as they're built.

Resolved ticket #231: Added tutorial steps for digging a mine shaft.

Resolved ticket #233: Added tutorial steps for deploying starting machinery.

Resolved ticket #234: Added tutorial steps for deploying light structures.

Resolved ticket #235: Added tutorial steps for moving the initial socialization area indoors.

Resolved ticket #236: Added tutorial steps for creating rooms.

Resolved ticket #237: Added tutorial steps for furnishing initial rooms.

Resolved ticket #238: Added tutorial steps for powering initial structures.

Resolved ticket #243: Updated the tutorial UI controls to show which steps have been completed in the current run of the tutorial world.

Resolved ticket #242: Wrote UI code to auto-highlight the current tutorial step.

Resolved ticket #244: Updated the splash screen to replace the link to the text tutorial with options for running the new tutorial system.

Resolved ticket #246: Added achievement categories.

Resolved ticket #245: Got Jericho started on the next contract. I added this to Mantis because I kept forgetting to do so.

Resolved ticket #240: Added mechanism for viewing achievements. The new achievement dialog can be found under the options menu.

Resolved ticket #247: Added optional view type information for tutorial steps - this helps control what the user is looking at as they make their way through the tutorial, preventing them from going off the rails.
Administrator
Site Admin

Postby Administrator » Wed Mar 08, 2017 11:23 pm

And because I'm a spas, right on the heels of 0.3.31 comes 0.3.32. I had to fix a bug I forgot to address with auto-hiding the guided tutorial control on non-tutorial worlds.

Resolved ticket #248: This was a feature request to auto-hide the guided tutorial controls when a non-tutorial world is being played.
Administrator
Site Admin

Postby Administrator » Sat Mar 11, 2017 2:33 am

Version 0.5.33 is out! This release includes a number of usability improvements, bug fixes, and tutorial adjustments, as documented and proposed by Torvus.

Resolved ticket #261: This was a tutorial system bug that caused the tutorial steps to run, even when the user wasn't running the tutorial world.

Resolved ticket #257: This was a game-breaking bug that could occur when adjusting Z level views. Extra thanks to Torvus for putting in the time to figure out how to solidly reproduce this.

Resolved ticket #249: This was a tutorial clarification on Z level adjustments. The instructions should now be clearer.

Resolved ticket #260: This was a bug that could cause the map to jump around. It was caused by the same issue as ticket #261.

Resolved ticket #258: This was a serious UI bug affecting vertically shorter resolutions. The menu bar at the top of the UI would become hidden.

Resolved ticket #259: Implemented a feature request to delete world saves. This can be found under the options menu.

Resolved ticket #262: Added a menu item to return to Outer Colony's main menu screen / splash screen from the game's play-UI. This should address an old feature request from Anachronic.
Administrator
Site Admin

Postby Administrator » Sun Mar 12, 2017 9:13 pm

Version 0.5.34 has just been released. This release includes a ton more usability enhancements, feature requests, and bug fixes, chiefly identified and suggested by Torvus and Anachronic.

Resolved ticket #268: This is a bug Anachronic found with world scrolling near map borders.

Resolved ticket #263: This is a feature request from Torvus to show pending mining orders. Huge usability improvement.

Resolved ticket #267: This is a feature request from Torvus to show pending crop planting orders. Huge usability improvement.

Resolved ticket #274: This is a feature request to add local timestamps to error logs. This helps with bug reporting.

Resolved ticket #275: Fixed a UI bug with the height of the culture policy dialog on vertically small resolutions.

Resolved ticket #266: Another big usability improvement, suggested by Torvus. The pause button will no longer clear out the most recently selected tool.

Resolved ticket #271: Another Torvus feature request, added the world deletion interface to the single player portion of the splash screen.

Resolved ticket #256: Another Torvus feature request, this one to specify what types of area designations are being viewed in the advanced view options mode. Lettering is now rendered to differentiate among area types.

Resolved ticket #255: This was another Torvus feature request. Here we added map search functionality to the in-game world map, just like on the world generation interface.

Resolved ticket #252: This is a feature request that Dave and Torvus have wanted for ages, and I should have implemented it as soon as it was asked for, as it constitutes a tremendous usability improvement. Holding down left ctrl when using the item placement tool lets you place approximately average items of the last placed item type. This makes furnishing many rooms / large areas much quicker and easier.

Resolved ticket #251: Fixed a bug in some tutorial verbiage, as identified by Torvus.

Resolved ticket #276: This was a feature request to have top-down and surface views render area designations more intelligently. It goes hand in hand with ticket #272.

Resolved ticket #272: This is another huge usability improvement, requested by Torvus. Area designation from top-down / surface views is now significantly smarter, which should ease the area management process.

To Torvus and Anachronic, way to go above and beyond with your contributions to this release!
Administrator
Site Admin

Postby Administrator » Tue Mar 28, 2017 6:18 pm

Version 0.5.35 is out! Changes in this release consist primarily of tutorial expansion, with more bug fixes and feature requests from Torvus and Anachronic. Of note, version 0.5.35 is the first release candidate for the version we'll distribute to our expanded test group. Once this release has been exercised by current users, we'll add Mitch, CubeTwo, Minkaron, Bob12345tom, and any other forum users who'd like to try our beta out!

Resolved ticket #279: This was a feature request from Torvus to allow players to follow social network links from the human inspection dialog, easily inspecting relations.

Resolved ticket #269: This was a bug where NPCs were not being properly added back into world locations after world loading.

Resolved ticket #277: Resolved another Torvus feature request to show material stats / improve usability of the manufacturing interfaces.

Resolved ticket #284: Added tutorial steps for using the tile inspection tool.

Resolved ticket #283: Added tutorial steps for mining ore.

Resolved ticket #282: Added tutorial steps for material refining.

Resolved ticket #285: Added tutorial steps for manufacturing.

Resolved ticket #286: Added tutorial steps for crop planting.

Resolved ticket #287: Added tutorial steps for material synthesis.

Resolved ticket #293: Addressed an Anachronic feature request to highlight the next button in the tutorial control when it's needed to proceed to the next step.

Resolved ticket #232: Added tutorial steps for managing orders.

Resolved ticket #294: Fixed a variety of tutorial typos identified by Anachronic.

Resolved ticket #296: Added missing tooltips identified by Anachronic.

Resolved ticket #288: Added tutorial steps for essential room equipment.

Resolved ticket #300: Added tutorial steps for logging.

Resolved ticket #284: Added tutorial steps for plant harvesting.

Resolved ticket #299: Fixed a bug Torvus found with order visualization persistence.

Resolved ticket #298: Fixed another bug Torvus found with returning to the application's splash screen.

Resolved ticket #297: Fixed another bug Torvus found with material refineries.

Resolved ticket #284: Added tutorial steps for free form construction.

Resolved ticket #290: Added tutorial steps for child care.

Resolved ticket #302: Implemented a feature request to make feeding babies take 1/4 hour.
Administrator
Site Admin

Postby Administrator » Tue Apr 04, 2017 10:27 pm

Version 0.5.36 is out! This is a pretty major-league sort of update, as it greatly expands the tutorial system again and addresses a variety of bugs and feature requests reported by Torvus and Anachronic.

Resolved ticket #304: This was a feature request lodged by both Torvus and Anachronic to improve item filtering throughout the game's interfaces.

Resolved ticket #306: This was a feature request I wrote to improve the effects of insurrection when a large portion of the population is unhappy.

Resolved ticket #305: This was a feature request from Torvus to make it so that text isn't editable in various portions of the UI.

Resolved ticket #303: This was a bug reported by Torvus that was tangentially related to multiple item placement.

Resolved ticket #308: This was a feature request I wrote to include an on-screen announcement system for important happenings. It's pretty cool looking.

Resolved ticket #309: This was a ticket for using the new announcement system when an insurgency is active within a colony.

Resolved ticket #310: This was a ticket to write networking code for the new scrolling text alert system.

Resolved ticket #311: This was a feature request from Anachronic to display material yields right in the material refining window.

Resolved ticket #312: This was a feature request I logged to auto-focus on the item name filter when the item placement window is opened.

Resolved ticket #313: This was a bug identified by Anachronic where tutorial step 113's completion criteria was broken, as a result of a bug in the TileView class.

Resolved ticket #314: This was a feature request from Anachronic to change tutorial node highlighting to a color that would work for colorblind users.

Resolved ticket #315: This was a bug fix for an issue relating to stockpile deletion from the top-down / surface views.

Resolved ticket #316: This was a ticket to significantly increase the tutorial system using a series of new videos for advanced topics.
Administrator
Site Admin

Postby Administrator » Sat Apr 08, 2017 12:53 am

Version 0.5.37 is out, but it's just a very small update to add some sprites and correct a minor, cosmetic issue identified in 0.5.36. I'm mostly cutting this release to exercise the auto-updater for all the new testers.

Resolved ticket #320: This was a feature request from Torvus to make traits and sliders easier to associate in the education policy window.

Resolved ticket #321: Jericho delivered a bunch of awesome new achievement icons, and I wanted to add these into the game.

Resolved ticket #323: Jericho delivered a bunch of new menu icons, and these clean up the appearance of the main UI.
Administrator
Site Admin

Postby Administrator » Mon Apr 10, 2017 1:26 am

Version 0.5.38 is out! Sorry for the barrage of releases, but this patch includes some pretty sweet usability improvements. Torvus is a veritable fountain of excellent feature requests lately, and I've been really excited about making the improvements he's asked for, so I hammered these out yesterday and today. I don't want to hold them back from him or other players, so I decided to publish the new build.

Resolved ticket #328: Fixed a bug Torvus found with top-down area designations for cemeteries.

Resolved ticket #329: Fixed a benign but annoying null pointer exception identified by the Tartle Wizard.

Resolved ticket #327: I've been really excited about this feature! This ticket covers a series of augmentations to the existing combat order systems. Now, you can bind fire teams to the 0-9 keys, and by pressing ctrl + number, you can select the unit. With a unit selected, you can right click in the world view, issuing movement commands or direct-kill orders, depending on whether you click an combatant NPC or a blank space. The idea here is to make combat commands more fluid in real time, just easing the usability of everything. You can still issue commands the old way using the toolbar buttons, and combat mechanics remain the same. These new quick-commands just help direct things in the heat of battle.

Resolved ticket #324: Implemented a genius feature request from Torvus. The manufacturing windows now tell you which sort of manufacturing station is needed to produce a given item and whether you have one.

Resolved ticket #330: This is a cosmetic feature request I made to show the structure object type sprite in the item type selection interface for manufacturing building materials.

Resolved ticket #322: Added the swimming animation for when humans, creatures, and robots are traversing water.

Resolved ticket #316: Implemented another stellar feature request from Torvus, this time to display the number of structure nodes available in the various construction windows.

Return to “Outer Colony Discussion”