Forum Contest - Describe Your Colony, Become a Tester!

Questions, ideas, and general discussion of Outer Colony.
Administrator
Site Admin

Forum Contest - Describe Your Colony, Become a Tester!

Postby Administrator » Thu Dec 15, 2016 3:27 pm

Some of you guys who have been around for years may remember the forum contests of old, and we're bringing them back! This time around the stakes are raised, with the winner receiving a beta tester slot and access to the current development build of Outer Colony, to try out and play for free!

For this contest, I'll ask you guys to envision your ideal colony and describe it in detail. The contest starts today, and I'll judge entries by December 30th.

Ideas for information to include:
Which playable culture would you choose? You can see the galaxy's main factions here.
Which biome would you build in? What would the weather be like?
What industries would be the strength of your economy?
What kind of laws would you enact?
What kind of local culture would you foster? What would your colonists be like?
What sort of structures will you build?
What will you manufacture?
How will you fight?

Feel free to draw on any of Outer Colony's gameplay mechanics, simulation mechanics, or AI functionality to describe exactly what you want your ideal colony to be!

Feel free to be really creative with your vision. One of the core principles of Outer Colony is giving the player as much freedom as possible to create whatever sort of society they'd like. I'm really excited to see what you guys want to build and to hear about how you want to play Outer Colony!
Mitch
Original Champion

Re: Forum Contest - Describe Your Colony, Become a Tester!

Postby Mitch » Tue Dec 20, 2016 1:32 am

Hello this is my first post on this forum but I have been following the progress of this game for a long time.
I would love the opportunity to be able to play this brilliant game and give my feedback.

Which playable culture would you choose? You can see the galaxy's main factions here.
I would play as the Surssians as they are strong and militaristic,they are brave and will fight to their death. They will be be a loyal fraction and maintain a strong order

I would like to build in a tropical dry forest biome with access to metal and metalloid ores for our industry. I hope for warm weather with only occasional light rain.

I would like to set up strong mining and ore refining industries with some farming.

Strict laws will be in place to keep everyone in line. A strong police force will be in place to deal with anyone who steps out of line.

The people of my colony would be aggressive fighters but very loyal and disciplined.

Houses, factories, farms, walls and defensive fortifications.

Food and drinks to keep everyone fit and heath, and the strongest tools and weapons for our tough soldiers.

How will you fight?
There will be a strong well trained ruthless military backed up with high quality weapons and Armour.
Administrator
Site Admin

Postby Administrator » Tue Dec 20, 2016 2:20 am

Hi, Mitch!! This is a brilliant entry right here, and I'm very impressed! You've set the standard for all subsequent entries, and I can already tell that yours is 100% going to be a winner.

I would play as the Surssians as they are strong and militaristic,they are brave and will fight to their death. They will be be a loyal fraction and maintain a strong order

Strict laws will be in place to keep everyone in line. A strong police force will be in place to deal with anyone who steps out of line.

Food and drinks to keep everyone fit and heath, and the strongest tools and weapons for our tough soldiers.

There will be a strong well trained ruthless military backed up with high quality weapons and Armour.

Ahhhhhhhhh, this is my kind of colony! An entry like this will undoubtedly bring a tear to Imperator's eye.

Brace yourself, man, as a strong Surssian presence is going to attract wave after wave of Kelgonian and barbarian raiders. Lay them low, dig them into the earth, and wipe them out. I'm really excited to get your feedback on the game, and my mission in life is to make sure it's even better than you expect.

Thanks again for your entry, and welcome to the forums!!
Administrator
Site Admin

Postby Administrator » Tue Jan 03, 2017 11:21 pm

Mitch, I hereby declare you to be the grand champion, man!! Way to go!!!

I always appreciate the early adopters in the biggest way possible, and it means a lot that you're here, participating on these boards at this stage, when almost nobody even knows we exist.

Once we've worked a bit further along in easing the learning curve with current testers, I'm going to send you a download link for the latest release. I want to polish a bit of this getting started material to see how it works for you as a brand new user.

Giant thanks once again, and congratulations on your glorious victory, here!
Mitch
Original Champion

Postby Mitch » Tue Jan 03, 2017 11:39 pm

Thanks!

It's a shame nobody else participated. Hopefully you will soon get an influx of eager fans with all of your hard work you certainly deserve it.

Keep it up!
Administrator
Site Admin

Postby Administrator » Tue Jan 03, 2017 11:53 pm

Mitch wrote:It's a shame nobody else participated. Hopefully you will soon get an influx of eager fans with all of your hard work you certainly deserve it.

Thanks so much for the kind words, and really, your entry meant a ton to me. I'm pretty sure that almost no one knows we exist, but everybody has to start somewhere, right?

We'll figure out some good ways to get the word out moving forward, but you'll always hold the post of first forum contest winner on these boards! To commemorate this momentous happening, I've assigned you to the custom rank of "Original Champion" on these boards. Way to go above and beyond. :D
Imperator

Postby Imperator » Thu Jan 05, 2017 3:08 am

Mitch wrote:Thanks!

It's a shame nobody else participated. Hopefully you will soon get an influx of eager fans with all of your hard work you certainly deserve it.

Keep it up!

Comarde! Us Surssians must open our hands to each other, that we may link arms and march over the hordes of our enemies. For we are a bastion of hope and civility in a universe of barbarism!

When our flag flies high over the edges of known space, the forces of Surssia and our allies shall know a time of everlasting enlightenment and peace for eons! In defense of our fatherworld, we shall prevail!
Administrator
Site Admin

Postby Administrator » Fri Jan 06, 2017 2:56 am

Imperator wrote:When our flag flies high over the edges of known space, the forces of Surssia and our allies shall know a time of everlasting enlightenment and peace for eons! In defense of our fatherworld, we shall prevail!

I was playing on our multiplayer world briefly this afternoon, and an outpost of Kelgonians just set up shop on our island. They're already harassing my people and filling the DataNet with degenerate media. I'm about 2 seconds away from outlawing socialization with them and doubling my militia's training regimen to prepare for what comes next.

I think you know what we have to do...

youtu.be/jmVyUdHtxbU
Mazarus

Postby Mazarus » Sat Jan 14, 2017 2:12 am

Hey, sorry for being so late to the party, but I remembered seeing the contest start while I was on vacation. I meant to type up and submit something but the time just slipped away till I found myself here. I've decided to post my ideal colony for just fun, and see if anyone else likes my ideas.

I would most definitely try the Clans of Dagoroth as they are the most diverse of them all. I feel as this would give me an edge as more talented individuals could come out of it, and I could also use the lesser individuals as a more hard labor crew and military.

I would like to build in a Tropical Dry Forest near some type of source of water, like a river or creek to use it for farming and to supplement the lack of precipitation. The weather would be hotter than most other regions so I'd have to make sure that my people are properly rested and given water.

Farming would be a large part of my economy due to the biome being able to sustain more types of flora. I would also dabble into manufacturing to help with trading with off world parties.

Laws would be put into place to keep my people on a level playing field, but sometimes giving some leeway toward my more important individuals, just to hopefully keep them at work.

I would try and have my colonists treat each other with the upmost respect to keep inner-colony confrontation to a minimum, while also painting other colonies and cultures as more of party to be interacted but not fully trusted.

Farms would be more abundant to keep up with my colonist's sustenance requirements, manufacturing plant to house both the facility and storage. Housing will be built to keep everyone close but not in each other's business, a dam in the water source to control the water flow. Walls will also be erected and gates built while having to small buildings at the opening to keep soldiers protected as they defend against attackers coming through the gates.

I will manufacture more luxury goods to trade with off world parties, food and drinks to keep my colonists alive and well. Weapons will be average, but will be supplemented by good soldiers, and strategic positioning.

How will you fight?
My fighting style will revolve more around strategically weakening my enemy will well placed soldiers, bottlenecks to funnel enemies to become more manageable, and expert maneuvering through the field.

Hope people find my idea both interesting, and possibly helpful in deciding how they should play.
Questions? Comments? Concerns?
Torvus

Postby Torvus » Sat Jan 14, 2017 8:06 am

Mazarus wrote:Which playable culture would you choose? You can see the galaxy's main factions here.
I would most definitely try the Clans of Dagoroth

The connoisseur's choice
I am Torvus. My titles at voyager games are thus: Lore Weaver, Creature Consultant, Chief Science Officer, Company Chaplain, and Star Magus among others.

Return to “Outer Colony Discussion”