Forum Contest - Describe Your Colony, Become a Tester!

Questions, ideas, and general discussion of Outer Colony.
Administrator
Site Admin

Re: Forum Contest - Describe Your Colony, Become a Tester!

Postby Administrator » Mon Jan 16, 2017 2:01 am

Mazarus, way to go with a most righteous entry, man!

Mazarus wrote:Which playable culture would you choose? You can see the galaxy's main factions here.
I would most definitely try the Clans of Dagoroth as they are the most diverse of them all. I feel as this would give me an edge as more talented individuals could come out of it, and I could also use the lesser individuals as a more hard labor crew and military.

I like the CoD a great deal. If I lived in the Outer Colony universe, I'd want to hang out with these guys, and they're very interesting to play. I think they're the hardest faction to play right now, but if properly managed, they can be the very best. Maybe except for Kelgonians. They're very high skill-cap, in my book, but if you can manage and provide for them properly, after a couple generations, you can have exceptional item being crafted by genius colonists every day.

Which biome would you build in? What would the weather be like?
I would like to build in a Tropical Dry Forest near some type of source of water, like a river or creek to use it for farming and to supplement the lack of precipitation. The weather would be hotter than most other regions so I'd have to make sure that my people are properly rested and given water.

Another great call. Tropical dry forest is probably the easiest biome to build in. The winters aren't cold enough to kill anyone, so you don't have to worry about manufacturing insulated clothing - one set of attire per person is sufficient. And tropical dry forest gets enough precipitation that it's ideal for growing most simple crops.

What kind of laws would you enact?
Laws would be put into place to keep my people on a level playing field, but sometimes giving some leeway toward my more important individuals, just to hopefully keep them at work.

What kind of local culture would you foster? What would your colonists be like?
I would try and have my colonists treat each other with the upmost respect to keep inner-colony confrontation to a minimum, while also painting other colonies and cultures as more of party to be interacted but not fully trusted.

These are also good approaches for managing Dagoroths. They generally won't stand for draconian laws and despotism, so you've got to handle them with kid gloves, like this.

What sort of structures will you build?
Farms would be more abundant to keep up with my colonist's sustenance requirements, manufacturing plant to house both the facility and storage. Housing will be built to keep everyone close but not in each other's business, a dam in the water source to control the water flow. Walls will also be erected and gates built while having to small buildings at the opening to keep soldiers protected as they defend against attackers coming through the gates.

What will you manufacture?
I will manufacture more luxury goods to trade with off world parties, food and drinks to keep my colonists alive and well. Weapons will be average, but will be supplemented by good soldiers, and strategic positioning.

This is a recipe for success! Plenty of food and essentials, followed by all the luxury goods your colonists need to be happy. Individualistic societies need plenty of these.

How will you fight?
My fighting style will revolve more around strategically weakening my enemy will well placed soldiers, bottlenecks to funnel enemies to become more manageable, and expert maneuvering through the field.

Right on again, man. Using terrain and fortifications to your advantage is a great way to hold off most enemies. Except for the Old Corsair and Iron Gear combat automata!

Excellent entry, man, and huge thanks for this! I'll send a beta invite your way as soon as we're ready for you and Mitch to join the test group!
CubeTwo

Postby CubeTwo » Thu Mar 02, 2017 11:11 pm

Hello, my name is Alexx, and this is my first post on this forum.
I would love the opportunity to be able to play this game and give my feedback.

Which playable culture would you choose? You can see the galaxy's main factions here.
I would play as the Surssians

Which biome would you build in? What would the weather be like?
I would like to build in a Badlands biome near some type of water source . I hope for warm weather with only occasional clouds in the sky.

What industries would be the strength of your economy?
I would like to set up strong mining and ore refining industries with some farming.

What kind of laws would you enact?
Strict laws will be in place to keep everyone in line. A strong police force will be in place to deal with anyone who steps out of line.

What kind of local culture would you foster? What would your colonists be like?
The people of my colony would be good workers with good Police/assault squads what be loyal and disciplined.

What sort of structures will you build?
Houses, farms, and of course walls and defensive fortifications.

What will you manufacture?
Food, tools and weapons.

How will you fight?
I will train a strong fighter with high quality weapons and armour, and they will use my defensive fortifications.

ps. Sorry for my bad english, im find this game on steam greenlight and read about it, and already voted for it on greenlight. Im read your forum and see this topic and want try my luck with be a tester. I also Russian-speaking streamer and lots of my viewers like games like Dwarf Fortress and Rimworld. I want stream this game in future or if you give permission stream it now ( if im get your approve to be tester). I advise my viewers vote for this game, but not all people believe in games what in greenlight, when i ask why, they say "i dont seen the game and cant get opinion for game" not all people believe what written on steam greenlight page.
Administrator
Site Admin

Postby Administrator » Fri Mar 03, 2017 2:36 am

Welcome to the boards, Alexx!

What a great entry, and I like the way you think! These kinds of colonies are usually quite effective when it comes to surviving, and I'm personally learning how to better manage Surssians in some of my more recent testing. The lower populations tend to make things hard, but if you can survive the early game, a colony like the one you describe is a force to be reckoned with.

I'm hereby declaring you the contest's second winner! I'm going to get you and Mitch in on one of the upcoming releases.

I also Russian-speaking streamer and lots of my viewers like games like Dwarf Fortress and Rimworld. I want stream this game in future or if you give permission stream it now ( if im get your approve to be tester). I advise my viewers vote for this game, but not all people believe in games what in greenlight, when i ask why, they say "i dont seen the game and cant get opinion for game" not all people believe what written on steam greenlight page.

That is fantastic! I've actually had great success working with streamers as testers. RetroPrincess (one of the forum members here) has been an unbelievably productive tester for us, and I think a lot of it owes to her sharp insights and expertise as a game player. I'm working on a pretty significant overhaul of our tutorial system now, and I want to finish this release and get it polished before opening things up to our next testers. I just need to make sure things are easy and fun to learn for new users, but then I'd be absolutely glad to bring you aboard our test group.

And I'm always appreciative when someone is willing to share Outer Colony with their own fanbase. I hope your viewers will enjoy the game!

ps. Sorry for my bad english, im find this game on steam greenlight and read about it, and already voted for it on greenlight.

Oh, don't worry in the slightest. Your English is far better than my Russian!

Return to “Outer Colony Discussion”