Welcome Thread for Testers

Questions, ideas, and general discussion of Outer Colony.
Administrator
Site Admin

Welcome Thread for Testers

Postby Administrator » Thu Dec 22, 2016 8:43 pm

This is the official welcome thread for all Outer Colony testers! The purpose here is just to consolidate some of the resources you'll need to get started, to provide a bit of context for what you're playing, and to help ease your journey into Outer Colony to the greatest extent possible.

First, thank you for being a tester! Using software that's still in development is never easy, and a great deal of patience and effort are required to get the most out of the experience. You guys are on the front line of helping me find bugs and improve the software, and I'd never be able to get Outer Colony ready for a 1.0 release without your help. You all volunteer your hardware, your time, and your energy by testing Outer Colony before it's formally ready, and for that I sincerely thank you.

Second, I'd like to preface your experience with Outer Colony with a bit of caution. What you're playing is not yet ready for a 1.0 release. It's not even really early access, at this point. You guys are playing a development build of a massive software system that's undergoing extensive changes every day. I'm actively modifying the codebase every single day, fixing bugs, improving usability, adding new content, and even adding entirely new features. You're going to find bugs the first time you play OC. You're going to find new bugs as you continue to play OC. This is all normal and 100% OK! It's a part of the process of developing software, and every system goes through this stage of development, so don't worry. Keep in mind that what you're playing isn't the final release and that issues you encounter will be resolved.

Since this is your first time downloading Outer Colony, you may have no idea what the game is all about! I recommend exploring our website, checking out the Game Overview, World Simulation, and NPC AI sections to get an idea of what you can do in Outer Colony. I've found that the website and the world narrative thread are great ways to introduce brand new users to Outer Colony.

When you first start Outer Colony, the best way to learn the game's basics is to follow its guided tutorial. Click "Getting Started" on the game's splash screen, then "Open Tutorial World" to work your way through the guided tutorial. It's far from comprehensive, but it should suffice for learning the game's basics. If you prefer text or want to try learning everything for yourself on a custom world, the Getting Started Tutorial is another excellent resource. This tutorial is designed to walk new users, just like you, through the step by step process of building a new colony. Outer Colony presents a depth of gameplay that isn't common among RTS games, so the mechanics of playing are a bit more involved. Everything is designed to be as intuitive and easy to learn as possible, but if you get stuck, there may be a great opportunity to improve our tutorials or ease usability somewhere along the line. Don't be afraid to click on the "Help" buttons that you'll find throughout the game's interfaces. They'll lead you to in-depth tutorials that are also designed to help you experience Outer Colony.

When you do find bugs, don't hesitate to report them here, in the issue reporting subforum. This is a great way to note your issue, as I put eyes on this board every day, and I'll aim to get your problem sorted out as quickly as possible. If you find yourself reporting issues all the time and would like direct access to our bug tracking system, feel free to send me a private message, and I can get you set up with an account in our issue tracking system.

Finally, have fun! Outer Colony is designed to be an interesting, thought provoking, and (most importantly) fun software system! Whether you call it a software toy or a game is a matter of semantics, but you should enjoy yourself while using Outer Colony. If you have ideas for improvements, new features, or anything else relating to the game, feel free to post them in the Outer Colony subforum. I really hope that continued development can be something of a collaborative process, and I always want to be willing to embrace great ideas from end users.

Again, thank you all so much, and welcome to Outer Colony!
Administrator
Site Admin

Re: Welcome Thread for Testers

Postby Administrator » Thu Apr 06, 2017 1:24 pm

I'm bumping this thread, since we're bringing on a bunch more testers from outside the team this week!

If you're new to Outer Colony, I'd suggest clicking "Getting Started" -> "Open Tutorial World" from the splash screen. This will take you through the guided tutorial, which will help you learn the basics of the game.

Return to “Outer Colony Discussion”