Undo Button

Questions, ideas, and general discussion of Outer Colony.
RetroPrincess

Undo Button

Postby RetroPrincess » Mon Dec 26, 2016 8:34 pm

I know this is probably pushing it but Im a real clutz and get distracted or misinterpret easily. Is there any chance of an undo button lol!!
Torvus

Re: Undo Button

Postby Torvus » Mon Dec 26, 2016 11:29 pm

I, for one, consider the mistakes and their unforgiving aftermath to be part of the fun.
I am Torvus. My titles at voyager games are thus: Lore Weaver, Creature Consultant, Chief Science Officer, Company Chaplain, and Star Magus among others.
Administrator
Site Admin

Postby Administrator » Tue Dec 27, 2016 3:18 pm

RetroPrincess wrote:I know this is probably pushing it but Im a real clutz and get distracted or misinterpret easily. Is there any chance of an undo button lol!!

Hi, RP, and welcome to the boards! You know, this is a really great idea. I'm thinking an undo button would be an awesome way to automatically rescind the last order or meta-order, and it'd be especially useful with really big meta-orders, like structure construction or terrain leveling.

Is that what you have in mind: like an undo button to get rid of the last order you issued?

It might be a little more tricky to go back in time, but I was also thinking of allowing a "save as" option for a world. This would be where you could save your world at day 3, and then if something goes wrong at day 5, you could go back to day 3 and try again. Do you think that'd be a good feature? What do you think about that, Torvus? It'd certainly make things a bit "softer" from a play standpoint, but I could see it as a way for players to better control the challenge. If they want a less difficult experience, this would be a way to deliver it, although some of the stakes and thrill might be lost if you can just go back to a previous save.

I really like your idea, RP, as it's getting my mind going in a bunch of different directions. Huge thanks!!
RetroPrincess

Postby RetroPrincess » Tue Dec 27, 2016 5:53 pm

Yes, rather like the issue I had with mining yesterday - in attempting to learn how to actually do it, I messed up and then didn't seem to be able to demolish the stuff/order.
I think thats where I'm coming unstuck a bit as I don't seem to be able to stop something if I realised I have messed up. Hence my whole colony but one poor farming chap died.
The save as option would also do a treat for this one too - either way the ability to rescind those large orders etc would be great when picking the game up :D
Torvus

Postby Torvus » Tue Dec 27, 2016 9:35 pm

It is possible to rescind orders. If you bring up the list of orders by pushing the microphone button, you are able to tell them to stop that. Its a little cumbersome, so a more streamlined way to accomplish that might be in order.
I am Torvus. My titles at voyager games are thus: Lore Weaver, Creature Consultant, Chief Science Officer, Company Chaplain, and Star Magus among others.
Administrator
Site Admin

Postby Administrator » Wed Dec 28, 2016 10:39 pm

Torvus wrote:Its a little cumbersome, so a more streamlined way to accomplish that might be in order.

I think there are a few ways that we could improve the order management interface. These are some of the ideas that I have:

1. Some way for grouping meta-orders automatically - Torvus suggested this, and I'm not exactly sure how I'll do it yet, but he's right in that when you issue a mine shaft or construction meta order, it can create hundreds or more of individual orders to accomplish the task. Grouping them together in some way as a single unit would make it easier to control them.

2. Color coding for orders that can and can't currently be executed - This would make it easier to tell at a glance what people can and can't work on, and if something can't be executed, clicking on it will already tell you the reason why.

3. Filters for different types of orders - If we could add filters to show only mining orders or educational orders, it'd make the list more manageable for looking for specific things.

I think these would go a good ways to improving what we've currently got, but in practice, I find the existing system to be pretty simple and easy to use. When you think about it, there's not much complexity here. It's a list of orders, you can select them and then rescind them or change their priority. While I'm not the best user to judge these things, I've found it all pretty intuitive in building colonies myself.
RetroPrincess

Postby RetroPrincess » Sat Dec 31, 2016 10:11 pm

I think its the sheer quantity of text as well as training my brain as I'm playing means that I'm not getting what I need to get done...or its being done and I can't see it. My brain works in colours and visuals so that would help me personally but its not the same for everyone (here comes me and my teacher training child psych babble haha)
I think theres something that needs to be tweaked but its going to need to take a bit more faffing and thinking to find out what my head is trying to suggest. Plus I've had a bottle of wine :lol:
Administrator
Site Admin

Postby Administrator » Sun Jan 01, 2017 2:15 pm

RetroPrincess wrote:I think theres something that needs to be tweaked but its going to need to take a bit more faffing and thinking to find out what my head is trying to suggest. Plus I've had a bottle of wine :lol:

You're right that the UI is more text heavy than most games, and there are things we can do to take the edge off that. I took a long look at the interface this morning, and I've come up with two ways to make it better:

Ticket #176: This addresses the text-heavy nature of the list. I'll add icons alongside the text, which should make things a bit more visually intuitive.

Ticket #177: This one is to add a set of filters for more easily finding the precise order you're looking for.

There's probably more work that we'll do in this UI, but I think these two adjustments should represent a solid improvement and a good start toward perfecting the whole system.

Return to “Outer Colony Discussion”