In Game Tutorial

Questions, ideas, and general discussion of Outer Colony.

How necessary is it for Outer Colony to have an in-game tutorial?

I need an in-game tutorial to learn how to play.
50%
I've figured out the basics with the existing tutorial, but most people might need an in-game tutorial.
50%
I learned how to play with the existing tutorial, and an in-game tutorial isn't necessary.
No votes

Total votes: 4
RetroPrincess

Re: In Game Tutorial

Postby RetroPrincess » Wed Jan 04, 2017 10:19 pm

EURGHMAGHURD!!!
The videos are amazing! Helped clear up a couple of bits I was unsure about and I've had no trouble cracking right on this evening with them.
Is there any chance of muting in game music while watching them or is that something that needs to be done manually?
Love love love!
RP
Imperator

Postby Imperator » Thu Jan 05, 2017 2:26 am

Mmmmmkay, I was logged in and when I attempted to post it booted me, and a good chunk of text regarding my thoughts on it.

So, I shall make this a TL;DR edition of my previous thoughts!
-Hopefully players play single player with the intent of learning the game mechanics.
-Thus, utilizing the tutorial to learn basics
-Thereby, becoming a master of the beginning embarkment
-Additionally, grasping the basics and jumping into the more advanced options!

Well done, commander! I will be giving you a banana sticker!
Administrator
Site Admin

Postby Administrator » Fri Jan 06, 2017 2:52 am

Imperator wrote:Mmmmmkay, I was logged in and when I attempted to post it booted me, and a good chunk of text regarding my thoughts on it.

Oh yeah man, I've had this nonsense happen to me before, too!

It's something about PHPBB - actually, it's probably a quasi-feature, since I think PHPBB will still function in no-script environments, since everything that powers the forums runs on the backend. Remember the old forums that DarkPhoenix used to run? They were PHPBB boards, too, and the same thing happened to me there.

It happens if it thinks you're idling for a long time, and it basically considers anything that doesn't involve pages reloading to be idling. So if you're tying a giant post in the post composition page, and you spend more than whatever the auto-logout time is, it'll blow away your post when you submit it. Sometimes you can recover it by pressing the back button exactly once, but I'm not sure if it always works.

I usually write my large posts in Open Office, then I copy them into the editor when I'm ready to post. Either that, or I hit the "Preview" button every minute or two, just to make sure I'm not timed out. Maybe there's some way I can adjust the boards to not log people out when they're composing posts, but I'm not sure.

On the matter of the video tutorials, though, the response has been overwhelmingly positive. At this point, several of you guys have made it all the way through (or at least really far into) the video series, and you've conquered all sorts of functionality that the text tutorial wasn't getting across. Barring any serious dissent, I think we're in business. I'm going to proceed, making tutorial videos to cover every last bit of the game. It's going to take a long time, and we may end up with scores of videos by the end, but I think this will be an ideal way to effectively introduce the game to as many new users as possible.

Return to “Outer Colony Discussion”