Biological Warfare

Questions, ideas, and general discussion of Outer Colony.
Mazarus

Biological Warfare

Postby Mazarus » Thu Mar 09, 2017 3:51 pm

So while I was reading on the Thread of Randomness in general discussion, Sam posted something that got me thinking

Administrator wrote:He might not even bother building a colony, but will just starve his people until they start dying and contract corpse rot, then march them into your lands, just to fan the epidemic.

Now When I read it I laughed a bit kinda imagining a whole caravan of half dead colonists slowly trudging through a desert toward an unknowing colony. Then when I started to actually think about it I realized that it's the basic idea behind Biological Warfare. So I guess I just need the question of whether you had already thought of this? And if so whether there is actually a way to create more versatile B-Weapons (Biological Weapons)
Questions? Comments? Concerns?
Administrator
Site Admin

Re: Biological Warfare

Postby Administrator » Sat Mar 11, 2017 2:46 am

Great question as always, Mazarus!

Mazarus wrote:Now When I read it I laughed a bit kinda imagining a whole caravan of half dead colonists slowly trudging through a desert toward an unknowing colony. Then when I started to actually think about it I realized that it's the basic idea behind Biological Warfare. So I guess I just need the question of whether you had already thought of this? And if so whether there is actually a way to create more versatile B-Weapons (Biological Weapons)

After I'd initially implemented the disease system, the thought did occur to me that a player could use a diseased colonist as a vector for intentionally spreading an illness. Right now, this is (basically) the only way a player can wage biological warfare. You'd have to militarize an infected colonist and give him marching orders to place him in close proximity to an enemy population.

As for explicit biological weapons, the only faction that has anything like this is the Iron Gear. Do you know who they are? There's a robot model they can manufacture called a BWA - a Biological Warfare Automaton. It only does one thing - run up to enemy colonists and poke them with a plague-bearing prod. I may have to do some "balancing" (as much as I hate the idea of this), because I've never come close to stopping BWAs in testing. Plague is the most virulent infection in Outer Colony, and as soon as one of these bastards prods a bunch of my colonists, everyone is infected with plague, and everyone is probably going to be dead very soon.

Plague cure is currently very hard to manufacture and very expensive to trade for.

The funniest thing about the BWA model robots is that their application tends to wipe out the entire population of a planet. Any colonies friendly with the infected population are going to contract plague through socialization, and they'll in turn spread the plague to everyone they socialize with. Even the Iron Gear humans will eventually attack an infected colony when its population is sufficiently diminished, causing the Iron Gear adherents to accidentally become infected and die, themselves.

The end result of deploying BWAs has been a world without any humans, and a couple of dumb robots sitting around on its surface, endlessly waiting for more humans to kill. It's a kinda' sad fate for a planet to meet.

---------------------------------

As it stands, the only way that a player can build a biological weapon is to forge friendly diplomatic ties with the Iron Gear, which is almost impossible. Then, they'd have to get a robotics manufacturing station, and then they could build their own BWAs. But their application would be suicidal, unless the player stockpiled a very large volume of plague cure beforehand.
Torvus

Postby Torvus » Sat Mar 11, 2017 2:58 am

I feel the bee shaman should somehow be able to combat plague epidemics using their arcane bee magic
I am Torvus. My titles at voyager games are thus: Lore Weaver, Creature Consultant, Chief Science Officer, Company Chaplain, and Star Magus among others.
Administrator
Site Admin

Postby Administrator » Sat Mar 11, 2017 3:29 pm

Torvus wrote:I feel the bee shaman should somehow be able to combat plague epidemics using their arcane bee magic

Actually, this is a pretty freakin' great idea. If mad honey functioned as a mechanism for curing plague, in addition to just getting colonists high, it'd make befriending the Quar'thanid extremely useful. The bee shaman is quite a medicine man, after all, so I kinda' like everything about this idea!
Mazarus

Postby Mazarus » Sat Mar 11, 2017 10:35 pm

I just wanted to get a little bit of clarification, is The Plauge the only infectious disease in OC? Or is it just the most deadly? Because if it isn't the only one, then couldn't it be possible to use those diseases as well to just impede another colony's progress? Since death isn't the only goal of B-Weapons
Questions? Comments? Concerns?
Torvus

Postby Torvus » Sat Mar 11, 2017 11:21 pm

There are others, but the only one I can recall at the moment is corpse rot.
I am Torvus. My titles at voyager games are thus: Lore Weaver, Creature Consultant, Chief Science Officer, Company Chaplain, and Star Magus among others.

Return to “Outer Colony Discussion”