Quick Update: Minor Personal Issue / Spammers

Questions, ideas, and general discussion of Outer Colony.
Administrator
Site Admin

Quick Update: Minor Personal Issue / Spammers

Postby Administrator » Mon Mar 27, 2017 1:09 pm

I just wanted to let you guys know that I've been dealing with a minor personal situation on my end since Friday. It's nothing too serious, but it has required my almost-full attention over the weekend and will continue to do so for the next couple of days at least. I'm very sorry in advance if this delays the longer tutorial release beyond Friday. I'm going to do everything I can to get this release cut on time, and it may still be possible, because I managed to get far ahead of schedule last week.

Finally, our board was hit by spam bots who managed to beat our registration countermeasures, so you may have noticed a bunch of shady looking, borderline nonsensical posts over the last few days. Torvus knocked these out very quickly after they appeared, and the offending accounts have been removed. If any of you guys are PHPBB experts and know of a low-maintenance, fool-proof way to defeat spam bots, please let me know! I've tried a few approaches, but this is outside my area of expertise, so any input would be greatly appreciated.
Administrator
Site Admin

Re: Quick Update: Minor Personal Issue / Spammers

Postby Administrator » Thu Mar 30, 2017 2:59 pm

This is just a brief update on the spam-control front:

I've tried adjusting the spam countermeasures and Captcha settings quite a bit, but the bots have still been managing to defeat them. I'm inclined to think that an actual person / non-bot might be in the loop, because even my use of the QA plugin with (what I think) are very good questions was defeated after a few hours.

For the time being, I'm adding administrator approval to the registration process for all new accounts. It sucks for new users to have to wait for me to manually authorize their registration, but it's the only short term answer I can think of without spending a ton of time enhancing the automated aspects of the registration process. I'm sorry in advance to all new users for this inconvenience.

Return to “Outer Colony Discussion”