Quick questions, quick answers

Questions, ideas, and general discussion of Outer Colony.
Tchey

Quick questions, quick answers

Postby Tchey » Tue Aug 22, 2017 4:34 pm

Hello,

I'm new to Outer Colony, and i have some quick questions, so i propose to have a general topic for that.

1/ How should i build walls ? I'm at layer 53, so i try to build wall at layer 53, then 54, then 55... without success so far. My toons keep passing through my walls, and when i try to build a higher wall, they don't finish it. They start the second layer at 54, but holes makes my toons go from there...

2/ Same kind of idea, i tried to build a dam across a small river with fresh mater, in order to create a lake for fun. I went to layer 51 where there is water, ordered a wall, same at level 52 and 53 (where my colony is), but nothing is happening then.

3/ My colony doesn't produce babies. I have two couples, each with a small hutt, two beds, lamp, data terminal, chair, and i defined property to the girl from first couple in one cabin, and to the guy of the second couple in another cabin, but none of the couple seem to ever enjoy sex. How can i get them to fuck, or whatever process is needed ?

4/ I cheated with the secret code "no event" to first learn the basics before going to a fight. If i get it, i only need to restart the game to "cancel" the secret code ?

5/ My Colony Requests screen is white, full of emptyness. Is it a bug or a missing feature under development, or else ?

Thanks for reading
* Mon blog indécent sur les jeux indé... http://jeux1d100.net *
Administrator
Site Admin

Re: Quick questions, quick answers

Postby Administrator » Tue Aug 22, 2017 6:17 pm

Welcome to the boards, Tchey! I'm sorry that my response here is going to be a bit short, but if these answers are not sufficient, I'll have more time to better respond later on.

1/ How should i build walls ? I'm at layer 53, so i try to build wall at layer 53, then 54, then 55... without success so far. My toons keep passing through my walls, and when i try to build a higher wall, they don't finish it. They start the second layer at 54, but holes makes my toons go from there...

Building walls can be a minor pain at the moment. I usually use stairs liberally to make sure that people can reach the higher layers. Use the Z level view as much as possible for issuing construction orders, as it helps me keep everything straight to the greatest extent possible.

This is one of those things that's going to get much easier when we switch to isometric graphics. The 2D overhead view makes visualizing where your orders are more difficult than it should be.

2/ Same kind of idea, i tried to build a dam across a small river with fresh mater, in order to create a lake for fun. I went to layer 51 where there is water, ordered a wall, same at level 52 and 53 (where my colony is), but nothing is happening then.

I might have screwed something up in a recent patch. The NPCs might be looking at the running water and deciding that they can't build there. My dam building in the past has been creating the reservoir / pit for the water off to the side, damming the thing up, and then digging a canal to fill it.

Tchey wrote:3/ My colony doesn't produce babies. I have two couples, each with a small hutt, two beds, lamp, data terminal, chair, and i defined property to the girl from first couple in one cabin, and to the guy of the second couple in another cabin, but none of the couple seem to ever enjoy sex. How can i get them to fuck, or whatever process is needed ?

Hahahahahahaha, this is the greatest question ever asked on these forums. I'm dying laughing! They should just do it, but they usually have to get married first (unless your cultural archetype is Kelgonian). Are the relationships between the characters [ husband <-> wife ] or [ boyfriend <-> girlfriend ] ?

4/ I cheated with the secret code "no event" to first learn the basics before going to a fight. If i get it, i only need to restart the game to "cancel" the secret code ?

In the secret codes dialog, type "yes events" (without the quotes), and events will start happening again in your world.

5/ My Colony Requests screen is white, full of emptyness. Is it a bug or a missing feature under development, or else ?

Unless there's a bug, this means that your colonists don't have any specific requests yet. You'll see text appear there if they run out of food, or if someone doesn't have adequate clothing, or if married couples don't have their own living spaces. But blank space means that everything is on track!

Maybe it should say, "No requests at this time." or something like that. Would that make it clearer?

Huge thanks for your testing and this thread, man!
Tchey

Postby Tchey » Tue Aug 22, 2017 7:04 pm

Great, thanks.

I picked Kelgonian (i think), the guys described as social and peaceful, but now looking at the encyclopedia, i see they are more brainwashed than peaceful, haha... So, there are boy/girl friends, but still don't like to penetrate each other, yet.

No requests at this time

Would be nice indeed.

when we switch to isometric graphics

Oh so it's done, you made your decision ? When is "when" ? Days, weeks, months ahead ?
* Mon blog indécent sur les jeux indé... http://jeux1d100.net *
Administrator
Site Admin

Postby Administrator » Thu Aug 24, 2017 7:39 pm

No requests at this time

Would be nice indeed.

Excellent feature request, man! I logged it and made the adjustment, and this change will be coming out in the next release:
If you come across any other changes like this that you'd like to see - anything you can think of, whether it's new content, a way to make an interface easier to use, or anything at all, feel free to post it here on the forums. This is how the game gets better, and I appreciate any feedback or suggestions like this that you can provide!

Tchey wrote:
when we switch to isometric graphics

Oh so it's done, you made your decision ? When is "when" ? Days, weeks, months ahead ?

That's a slightly difficult question to answer with precision, but it's going to take a long time. At this point, we don't even have a pixel artist who can make isometric sprites. We have to start by identifying someone who can do this. We have the basics of a renderer in place for displaying the world using isometrics, but the rendering framework needs to be overhauled completely, and there's a ton of work to do here. Once we have a pixel artist identified, we'll need to figure out how much it's going to cost to get all these sprites made.

It's hard to say for sure exactly what it will cost, but we want absolutely top quality for the visuals we make here. Thousands of sprites are going to cost as much as several automobiles. I need to come up with the money for that, which I currently lack.

Then the sprites have to actually get made. Again, there are going to be thousands to replace our current sprite sheet, which is simpler than what we'll need for isometrics, because everything now is 100% overhead:

All of these tiny things need to be re-made, many of the human / creature / robot sprites from multiple angles to show fronts and backs for isometric viewing. It's going to take thousands of man hours.

With a bit of luck, we might be able to cut a preview release with a baseline of sprites in the 9-12 months timeframe. To replace all the sprites and get the visuals to where we need them to be, realistically, is going to be an 18+ month effort. That sucks hard, but it's the most honest assessment I can give. I'm going to keep working on gameplay and testing / improving features as much as possible in the meantime, but a lot of my programming and project management efforts are going to be focused on overhauling the visuals. A lot of things are up in the air right now, so timelines are even harder to predict, but I'll do my very best.

In all choices, though, I'm going for quality over speed. If it takes 3 years to get all the sprites perfect, so be it. I'm not under any pressure to release quickly, and I care too much about this project to cut any corners.

I picked Kelgonian (i think), the guys described as social and peaceful, but now looking at the encyclopedia, i see they are more brainwashed than peaceful, haha... So, there are boy/girl friends, but still don't like to penetrate each other, yet.

Haha, yeah man, Kelgonians are hilarious. I haven't done enough play-testing with these guys, but culturally, they're very weird and different from the other groups. All groups of people in Outer Colony are 'brainwashed' to some extent. Heck, half the game is sorta' about brainwashing your people and forging a local culture that makes them behave the way you want.

Again, huge thanks for your testing and feature requests, and if you've got any more thoughts or questions, don't hesitate to post them!
Asgarus

Postby Asgarus » Thu Aug 31, 2017 9:12 pm

You could try to find a 3D designer instead of a pixel artist. He could design a building and then simply render images from all the needed directions.
The model itself wouldn't even have to be that detailed since the final image would be comparatively small.
And if it would be necessary, you could always adjust the size of the ingame tiles.

edit: only if the style would fit with the overall game of course.

Return to “Outer Colony Discussion”