Hey Everybody!

Welcome to the OC boards. This is a friendly place, so tell us about yourself and say hi!
RetroPrincess

Re: Hey Everybody!

Postby RetroPrincess » Sat Dec 31, 2016 10:03 pm

Hello - I'm the loud one lol :lol:
Imperator

Postby Imperator » Thu Jan 05, 2017 3:15 am

Welcome! I was actually discussing with Sam about the events of Too Many Games! I wish I could have attended.

Hope you have a great journey in Outer Colonies and with us!
Administrator
Site Admin

Postby Administrator » Fri Jan 06, 2017 2:42 am

We've got such a friendly bunch here, and I appreciate the warm welcome everyone has given. We're fostering the right kind of local culture here on the boards already!

Imperator wrote:Welcome! I was actually discussing with Sam about the events of Too Many Games! I wish I could have attended.

Hope you have a great journey in Outer Colonies and with us!

Hahaha, yeah man, I told Imperator and Torvus all about Gaberaham and Mazarus as soon as the con had ended. And although Imperator couldn't physically be at TMG this year (he lives about 2,700 miles away), he was there in spirit, since he helped me prep the pitch, figure out promotional materials, and do all sorts of other things to get ready. I'll have to fly you out this year, man. Young Dave (my brother who came to help) and I actually had a blast, despite the fact that I was horrifically sick. It was a wicked good time:
Gaberaham Lincoln

Postby Gaberaham Lincoln » Sat Jan 14, 2017 4:54 am

Thank you all for the additional welcomes!

I'm just posting here again to let you know I'm still alive. Classes started up for me, so things are starting to get busy. I didn't get through a lot of the game like I wanted to, so far (I can be a slow starter on games, and I'm running this through Parallels on a Mac, which makes it a little more difficult), but I've got it and this place in mind, and should have some downtime to really dive into it between classes, hopefully. I'll probably be hanging around the general discussion, though, until I find some more time to immerse myself in the world of Outer Colony. Upside is that I'll be learning some interesting things, though, which I can hopefully bring into any scientific discussions on the game.

Didn't know where to post this, but didn't want anyone thinking I'd been kidnapped or something, haha.
Administrator
Site Admin

Postby Administrator » Mon Jan 16, 2017 1:48 am

Gaberaham Lincoln wrote:I'm just posting here again to let you know I'm still alive. Classes started up for me, so things are starting to get busy. I didn't get through a lot of the game like I wanted to, so far (I can be a slow starter on games, and I'm running this through Parallels on a Mac, which makes it a little more difficult), but I've got it and this place in mind, and should have some downtime to really dive into it between classes, hopefully.

That is A-OK, man, as everyone on these boards is very busy! Our current user group consists almost entirely of time-strapped adults, being in grad school, having very taxing jobs and kids, plus a ton of other things that prevent hardcore play. You are not alone in having limited time to test!

As an aside, I see that you're rocking a Mac as well! I've never tested Outer Colony on a Mac before, but I could produce a native Mac build, and I'd be very curious to see how it runs for you. Would you ever be interested in trying this out, if I sent an experimental Mac installer your way?

If I can ever generate any revenue, I'll aim to get my hands on a Mac (if I think I'll be able to support native Mac builds) to conduct my own QA. I'm definitely curious in the meantime to see how OC runs on a Mac OS, though. Java is *supposed* to run exactly the same on Windows, Linux, Mac, and anywhere that has a JVM, and while this is 99.9% true, the remaining 0.1% can result in some wackiness. For me to officially support Linux and Mac releases, though, I'd need to QA them properly.

I'll probably be hanging around the general discussion, though, until I find some more time to immerse myself in the world of Outer Colony. Upside is that I'll be learning some interesting things, though, which I can hopefully bring into any scientific discussions on the game.

Fantastic, man - I really do have to involve you in some core material modeling discussions, and I've got to get down to SE PA to grab a bite to eat with you at some point. The last month or so have just been extremely busy for me, working to keep on schedule with Outer Colony through the holiday season.
Gaberaham Lincoln

Postby Gaberaham Lincoln » Wed Jan 18, 2017 3:28 pm

Administrator wrote:That is A-OK, man, as everyone on these boards is very busy! Our current user group consists almost entirely of time-strapped adults, being in grad school, having very taxing jobs and kids, plus a ton of other things that prevent hardcore play. You are not alone in having limited time to test!

As an aside, I see that you're rocking a Mac as well! I've never tested Outer Colony on a Mac before, but I could produce a native Mac build, and I'd be very curious to see how it runs for you. Would you ever be interested in trying this out, if I sent an experimental Mac installer your way?

If I can ever generate any revenue, I'll aim to get my hands on a Mac (if I think I'll be able to support native Mac builds) to conduct my own QA. I'm definitely curious in the meantime to see how OC runs on a Mac OS, though. Java is *supposed* to run exactly the same on Windows, Linux, Mac, and anywhere that has a JVM, and while this is 99.9% true, the remaining 0.1% can result in some wackiness. For me to officially support Linux and Mac releases, though, I'd need to QA them properly.

If you can whip up a Mac installer, I'd love to try it out. I could even do some direct comparisons with the PC experience, even, like that. I don't know how difficult that is to work with on your end, it'd be great if it could work!

Fantastic, man - I really do have to involve you in some core material modeling discussions, and I've got to get down to SE PA to grab a bite to eat with you at some point. The last month or so have just been extremely busy for me, working to keep on schedule with Outer Colony through the holiday season.

Yeah, if you have any direct concerns or questions on materials, you can always feel free to hit me up. The upside to the grad school work is that I keep learning more about the subject that I might be able to bring to the table, haha.

I guess we're both pretty busy, haha. I can see how post-holiday would be a really busy period. Still, if you ever get a break, definitely let me know!
Administrator
Site Admin

Postby Administrator » Tue Jan 24, 2017 1:16 am

Gaberaham Lincoln wrote:If you can whip up a Mac installer, I'd love to try it out. I could even do some direct comparisons with the PC experience, even, like that. I don't know how difficult that is to work with on your end, it'd be great if it could work!

This would be tremendous beyond measure! I really, really, really want to build installers for Mac and especially Linux users. I'm a fanatical supporter of alternate-OS gaming, especially after the heinous privacy policy in Windows 10's EULA. There's a solid chance that I may never upgrade my Windows 7 machine, and if it reaches end of support and Microsoft hasn't released a more privacy-friendly OS, I may set sail into Ubuntu land.

I just wish that gaming were more practical on Linux and Mac, and I'd love it if I could do my part, as a developer, by releasing Outer Colony on these platforms. If people had viable alternative operating systems where you could play the games you enjoy, it might put more pressure on Microsoft to address the issues that privacy concerned users have with their latest offerings. It starts with developers building software that'll run in Mac and Linux, though.

It should actually be very easy for me to create a Mac installer / build - a matter of an afternoon, at most. The same goes for Linux, since Java runs on those platforms, too. The only thing holding me back is testing - and really, the testing requirement shouldn't be too extreme - it should just be a matter of verifying that the user interfaces are good to go and that things are generally functional. I just need the time and access to the operating systems.

And at some point this spring, once it stops snowing, I'm going to aim to get down into University City. It's been too long since I've been down there, and I remember a couple of kickass restaurants in the area.

Do you think you'll be able to make it to Too Many Games this summer?
Gaberaham Lincoln

Postby Gaberaham Lincoln » Sun Jan 29, 2017 3:06 am

Administrator wrote:This would be tremendous beyond measure! I really, really, really want to build installers for Mac and especially Linux users. I'm a fanatical supporter of alternate-OS gaming, especially after the heinous privacy policy in Windows 10's EULA. There's a solid chance that I may never upgrade my Windows 7 machine, and if it reaches end of support and Microsoft hasn't released a more privacy-friendly OS, I may set sail into Ubuntu land.

I just wish that gaming were more practical on Linux and Mac, and I'd love it if I could do my part, as a developer, by releasing Outer Colony on these platforms. If people had viable alternative operating systems where you could play the games you enjoy, it might put more pressure on Microsoft to address the issues that privacy concerned users have with their latest offerings. It starts with developers building software that'll run in Mac and Linux, though.

It should actually be very easy for me to create a Mac installer / build - a matter of an afternoon, at most. The same goes for Linux, since Java runs on those platforms, too. The only thing holding me back is testing - and really, the testing requirement shouldn't be too extreme - it should just be a matter of verifying that the user interfaces are good to go and that things are generally functional. I just need the time and access to the operating systems.

Yeah, it's tough being a Mac gamer, since few games get released crossplatform, and fewer become crossplatform after release. I'm glad at least the indie companies tend to make things for Mac, since I get to play a lot of the most interesting releases from each year. Triple A games just don't get released for us, which I find weird since I'd imagine they've got the budget to do it. Occasionally there's some other issues apparently (Overwatch's team sited graphical problems, which I think is a weak excuse since I'd be interested in playing it at lower settings), but I'm left thinking they just don't want to cultivate the market. I guess it's one more reason to stick with indie games, haha.

I'd be thrilled if you worked out a Mac version, though! Would be really happy to see OC go crossplatform, and it would make it way easier for me to play. Unless there's anyone else looking for that at the moment, you can feel free to take your time, since work is going to keep piling up

And at some point this spring, once it stops snowing, I'm going to aim to get down into University City. It's been too long since I've been down there, and I remember a couple of kickass restaurants in the area.

Do you think you'll be able to make it to Too Many Games this summer?

Hell yeah!

And unless anything sudden comes up, I'm definitely going to return to Too Many Games. The thing is like a 40 minute drive from me, and last time was a lot of fun! If you set up a table there again and need help, I'd be glad to offer my time. If you're just going as a fan of games in excessive quantity, I'll definitely be around to meet up.
Administrator
Site Admin

Postby Administrator » Sun Feb 26, 2017 12:50 pm

Gaberaham Lincoln wrote:And unless anything sudden comes up, I'm definitely going to return to Too Many Games.

Excellent, man! I'm going to do my best to be there, but it'll depend largely on whether Outer Colony can generate any traction with a wider audience between now and then. I haven't yet registered for a table, but if I get the feeling that I can continue full time development until that point, I will definitely aim to secure one.

Return to “Introductions”