Helloooo!

Welcome to the OC boards. This is a friendly place, so tell us about yourself and say hi!
ShyyGuy

Helloooo!

Postby ShyyGuy » Thu Oct 27, 2016 9:49 pm

Hey everyone! This is looking good. Haven't used forums like this in a loooong time! :)
Torvus

Re: Helloooo!

Postby Torvus » Thu Oct 27, 2016 10:28 pm

ShyyGuy wrote:Haven't used forums like this in a loooong time! :)

Forums seem to have lost popularity over time. A shame as I prefer forums like these to social media sites.

Anyways, Welcome aboard Shyyguy!
I am Torvus. My titles at voyager games are thus: Lore Weaver, Creature Consultant, Chief Science Officer, Company Chaplain, and Star Magus among others.
Administrator
Site Admin

Postby Administrator » Thu Oct 27, 2016 11:36 pm

ShyyGuy, welcome to the boards! Huge thanks for joining up! I've been digging the PoE updates of late, particularly some of your latest pixel art. I'm a big fan of the overworld sorts of imagery you post to Twitter, and I'm stoked for a release, man.

It's funny, I wonder sometimes if I'm showing my dated knowledge of the Internet / gaming by doing things like setting up forums. I love forums so much, though! Some of my very best friends in the real world were met on forums, and (for me at least) they've been a more useful social medium than anything else on the web.

Don't get me wrong, Twitter is nice and all, but the 140 character limit kinda' puts a cap on meaningful interaction. When I was at the height of my gaming prowess, forums were a huge part of the overall experience for me, and I hope these forums can be something of a meta-element of Outer Colony: a cool place to hang out, talk about the game and other topics, get to know people, and generally have fun.

Since you're one of the only people I know in your general age group, you'll be my window into how your demographic thinks! Have you ever used forums like this before, man?
ShyyGuy

Postby ShyyGuy » Sat Oct 29, 2016 6:05 pm

Thank you both! Yea, one of these days I'll create a poster for those maps.

I agree with you for Twitter. That's why I went to Discord for an enhanced chat experience. I have used forums like this, but it's been quite awhile. I think the last time was the Zune forums (the music player device by Microsoft). I have used the Minecraft forum more recently, but it's been awhile since I've seen this specific type. My biggest dislike of forums is how you need to create and keep track of your account. Not that this is an issue at one, two, or three accounts for different forums, but all of the games that I might like to post occassionally on require an account. This is why I believe Steam forums are better for games, since it's one account for all rather than one for each. Though I don't know anything about setting up forums on Steam; you probably need the game to be for sale before you can have those.

That's my thought process at least.
Administrator
Site Admin

Postby Administrator » Tue Nov 01, 2016 3:34 am

Thank you both! Yea, one of these days I'll create a poster for those maps.

That'd be awesome, man! How do you make the pixel art for those maps, by the way? Do you go pixel by pixel for such large images?

My biggest dislike of forums is how you need to create and keep track of your account. Not that this is an issue at one, two, or three accounts for different forums, but all of the games that I might like to post occassionally on require an account. This is why I believe Steam forums are better for games, since it's one account for all rather than one for each. Though I don't know anything about setting up forums on Steam; you probably need the game to be for sale before you can have those.

I definitely see where you're coming from here, but for me, the separate forums are a plus, insofar as they help to build a more tightly knit, focused community, I think. For example, I just can't imagine the SWG forums (my favorite boards of all time) from 2004 being a part of Steam. It just wouldn't have worked. It was a special community that revolved around a special game. The game's unique features facilitated unique discussions that drew a unique crowd, and its boards weren't marred by nards who were just bopping in because it happened to be a part of Sony's Station thing.

I almost can't imagine Outer Colony's forums ever working as part of the greater Steam ecosystem. Then again, I'm the kind of guy who basically plays 1 game at a time, and when I get really involved with a game, it's usually for years. I can count the games I've really played in the last decade on one hand, but man, did I ever play them. That's just my approach to computer games. Maybe my mindset isn't quite right to understand the typical Steam user, and maybe it would be better for building a large, Steam-centric community if these boards were a part of the greater Steam universe.

But I'd be much happier building a small, unique, close community around Outer Colony proper than running a minor board in Steam land. I'd like people to be able to play Outer Colony for months and years, and to be part of a community that's a vibrant, fun, engaging part of that overall Outer Colony experience.
Brian

Postby Brian » Tue Nov 01, 2016 10:19 am

Torvus wrote:

Forums seem to have lost popularity over time. A shame as I prefer forums like these to social media sites.

Anyways, Welcome aboard Shyyguy!

Same, Torvus. I love places like these where you can surround yourself with like-minded people. Facebook is exhausting in comparison.

Also, welcome Shyyguy!!
Resident Sound Monkey
Imperator

Postby Imperator » Mon Nov 07, 2016 9:35 pm

Maybe it's just my love for the old days of being on a big forum like old SWG days, and the random forums I have been on previously, but I love these forums.
I look forward to seeing yourself, ShyyGuy and others join in on the revival.

Return to “Introductions”