Hi everybody!

Welcome to the OC boards. This is a friendly place, so tell us about yourself and say hi!
Brian

Hi everybody!

Postby Brian » Mon Oct 31, 2016 7:16 am

Hey guys! I'm Brian, the sound designer behind OC. PLEASE don't hesitate to contact me concerning literally ANY thought you had about OC's sound! I'm also a huge gamer so don't feel like there's a wall between us. "Oh, he's one of those... musician types..." NOPE

Gamer first! Good to meet you all!
Resident Sound Monkey
Administrator
Site Admin

Re: Hi everybody!

Postby Administrator » Tue Nov 01, 2016 3:43 am

Brian, what's up, man?! The biggest welcome possible!

Brian's a fascinating wealth of knowledge not just on games, but on music as a whole. We've had long, long email exchanges where he's carefully explained musical theory, composition techniques, and all sorts of other things related to game music and Outer Colony's OST. I'm such a novice in the subject, so it's always really neat to hear him explain this stuff. He's responsible for our whole sound track, most of our sound effects, and pretty much all-things-audio in Outer Colony.

Speaking of Outer Colony's OST, if you'd like to listen to it, check it out here:
https://daisyalesoundworks.bandcamp.com/album/outer-colony-ost

Here's a question for you, Brian: What's your favorite game soundtrack of all time? (Excluding Outer Colony, of course!)

Welcome again, and I'm so glad to have you here!
Torvus

Postby Torvus » Tue Nov 01, 2016 6:20 am

Administrator wrote:
Here's a question for you, Brian: What's your favorite game soundtrack of all time? (Excluding Outer Colony, of course!)

Well, I am no Brian, but I think I can speak for all gamers when I say that no soundtrack has nor shall ever surpass that of Robot Unicorn Attack

Also, welcome to the forums, Brian!
I am Torvus. My titles at voyager games are thus: Lore Weaver, Creature Consultant, Chief Science Officer, Company Chaplain, and Star Magus among others.
Brian

Postby Brian » Tue Nov 01, 2016 10:01 am

Thanks for the warm welcome, Sam and Torvus!

I'm not sure, I think for nostalgia reasons it'd have to be the soundtracks to either original Diablo, Final Fantasy 7 or Dragon Warrior.

Beyond those and in terms of modern day stuff, I'd probably say FTL, Wildstar, Starbound... I really could not pick just one, hahah.

For me, music you can't hum, or at least interesting ambient music, is a missed opportunity. I love Blizzard games, but barring Diablo I can't hum a single melody from any of them, and that's really sad. To me, it speaks to an insecurity in the strength of the gameplay - "we don't want to distract from the music." Well, make better gameplay then. Don't dampen the music, that's going in a more boring direction.

That being said, I've been doing some revising of our OST, I think parts of it may be too active or "in your face", but we can fix that by cutting out some layers or even just lowering the volume significantly.

What are yours? (for you too, Torvsicle. Too soon for nicknames? I think I decree not.)
Resident Sound Monkey
Torvus

Postby Torvus » Tue Nov 01, 2016 2:40 pm

I will have to take time to consider the best nickname for you, Brian. I'll try to make it nicer than any of the names I have for Sam.

As for answering the question of soundtracks honestly, not that RUA has a bad soundtrack, well let me see.

I like the Fire Emblem OST pretty well. The epic feel fits the series well.

Planescape Torment also had some good sounds though the different tracks were a little too similar. Also fits the game very well. Deionara's theme is one of the few video game tracks that I will occasionaly just listen to.

Well I also will listen to Earthbound songs every now and then. I don't know that this counts though as I only listen to the covers and not the 16 bit version you find in the game.
I am Torvus. My titles at voyager games are thus: Lore Weaver, Creature Consultant, Chief Science Officer, Company Chaplain, and Star Magus among others.
Imperator

Postby Imperator » Mon Nov 07, 2016 9:32 pm

You've done tremendous work with OC soundtracks that I have heard and look forward to hearing more. Glad to have you back on the new and improved forums!

As for my personal fav OST's, I too am a fan of Diablo, FF7, old mega man themes(they are catchy and some modern covers of them are really good), Tripwire has had some good songs and soundtracks produced for their WWII shooter/s Red Orchestra, and the DOOM games.

I could think of many more, but I have literally put these on in the background sometimes. So they are worthy mentions.

Anywho, looking forward to more posts from you! Thanks for all your hard work!
Administrator
Site Admin

Postby Administrator » Wed Nov 09, 2016 12:35 am

Imperator wrote:Tripwire has had some good songs and soundtracks produced for their WWII shooter/s Red Orchestra, and the DOOM games.

Ohhhhhhhh, yes! The Tripwire soundtracks! Gotta' include Killing Floor in that list. That soundtrack is so, so good. How is the KF2 soundtrack? I've got to check it out when I can find some time.

Brian wrote:What are yours? (for you too, Torvsicle. Too soon for nicknames? I think I decree not.)

Man, it's really hard for me to pick a very favorite soundtrack. For me, I'd have to go with the C&C Red Alert series.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-b5X69vREAg

Frank Klepacki is just the man. I remember getting RA2 in the 8th grade, and many a conscript was ground under the treads of enemy tanks while Hell March blasted in my room.

Such a good game. Such a good soundtrack.

I still listen to the SimCity 2000 soundtrack, too. In fact, I jam to it while programming Outer Colony sometimes!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DDQY3zGEbQU

Return to “Introductions”