Re: Hey Everybody!
Posted: Sat Dec 31, 2016 10:03 pm
Hello - I'm the loud one lol
Voyager Games and Outer Colony Boards
Imperator wrote:Welcome! I was actually discussing with Sam about the events of Too Many Games! I wish I could have attended.
Hope you have a great journey in Outer Colonies and with us!
Gaberaham Lincoln wrote:I'm just posting here again to let you know I'm still alive. Classes started up for me, so things are starting to get busy. I didn't get through a lot of the game like I wanted to, so far (I can be a slow starter on games, and I'm running this through Parallels on a Mac, which makes it a little more difficult), but I've got it and this place in mind, and should have some downtime to really dive into it between classes, hopefully.
I'll probably be hanging around the general discussion, though, until I find some more time to immerse myself in the world of Outer Colony. Upside is that I'll be learning some interesting things, though, which I can hopefully bring into any scientific discussions on the game.
Administrator wrote:That is A-OK, man, as everyone on these boards is very busy! Our current user group consists almost entirely of time-strapped adults, being in grad school, having very taxing jobs and kids, plus a ton of other things that prevent hardcore play. You are not alone in having limited time to test!
As an aside, I see that you're rocking a Mac as well! I've never tested Outer Colony on a Mac before, but I could produce a native Mac build, and I'd be very curious to see how it runs for you. Would you ever be interested in trying this out, if I sent an experimental Mac installer your way?
If I can ever generate any revenue, I'll aim to get my hands on a Mac (if I think I'll be able to support native Mac builds) to conduct my own QA. I'm definitely curious in the meantime to see how OC runs on a Mac OS, though. Java is *supposed* to run exactly the same on Windows, Linux, Mac, and anywhere that has a JVM, and while this is 99.9% true, the remaining 0.1% can result in some wackiness. For me to officially support Linux and Mac releases, though, I'd need to QA them properly.
Fantastic, man - I really do have to involve you in some core material modeling discussions, and I've got to get down to SE PA to grab a bite to eat with you at some point. The last month or so have just been extremely busy for me, working to keep on schedule with Outer Colony through the holiday season.
Gaberaham Lincoln wrote:If you can whip up a Mac installer, I'd love to try it out. I could even do some direct comparisons with the PC experience, even, like that. I don't know how difficult that is to work with on your end, it'd be great if it could work!
I just wish that gaming were more practical on Linux and Mac, and I'd love it if I could do my part, as a developer, by releasing Outer Colony on these platforms. If people had viable alternative operating systems where you could play the games you enjoy, it might put more pressure on Microsoft to address the issues that privacy concerned users have with their latest offerings. It starts with developers building software that'll run in Mac and Linux, though.
It should actually be very easy for me to create a Mac installer / build - a matter of an afternoon, at most. The same goes for Linux, since Java runs on those platforms, too. The only thing holding me back is testing - and really, the testing requirement shouldn't be too extreme - it should just be a matter of verifying that the user interfaces are good to go and that things are generally functional. I just need the time and access to the operating systems.
And at some point this spring, once it stops snowing, I'm going to aim to get down into University City. It's been too long since I've been down there, and I remember a couple of kickass restaurants in the area.
Do you think you'll be able to make it to Too Many Games this summer?
Gaberaham Lincoln wrote:And unless anything sudden comes up, I'm definitely going to return to Too Many Games.