Heya!

Welcome to the OC boards. This is a friendly place, so tell us about yourself and say hi!
Administrator
Site Admin

Re: Heya!

Postby Administrator » Sat Mar 18, 2017 4:08 am

Man, I am really sorry I haven't had a chance to make that thread about inspirational games, but I've just been completely time-starved the last couple days. Today was just emails, emails, and more emails. I haven't forgotten, though, and I'll get on it as soon as I can!

minkaron wrote:Yep! Living in a desert, I always go swimming in the summer months, and man, there are parts of my body that are sore that I didn't even realize I had!

Oh man, I've never been to a desert before!! One of the contractors I worked with at a past job was from Arizona, and the things he described about the place always fascinated me. Like, cars clustering around trees and shade in parking lots during the summer, instead of parking near building entrances.

It's a split between 4x real-time and turn-based strategy, and management simulators. Dwarf Fortress is a favorite of mine that I always return to. Aurora 4x is a good one, and is often hailed as Dwarf Fortress in space. It's a bit more obtuse to get into (most people call it a space-themed spreadsheet simulator), but if you like writing your own stories and space battles, it's a game worth checking out! In terms of more studio titles, I've lately been playing Planet Coaster and Cities: Skylines though. My fallback for strategy though is usually Sins of A Solar Empire or Supreme Commander: Forged Alliance.

Oh man, Sins of a Solar Empire!! Torvus and Imperator, do you know who loved Sins of a Solar Empire and wanted desperately for me to play it with him? The Latvian!! I never got a chance to try it out with him, but he was all about this game. Now I have it from another authority that the game is solid. If I can ever find time again, I'm going to have to give it a try.

And what is it that makes a game 4x? I've heard the term before, but I'm not sure if I've ever played one of these. I'm looking at screenshots of Aurora 4x, and it looks freakin' awesome. It's reminding me a great deal of simulation software I used to work on that helped inspire Outer Colony (teaser for the upcoming thread!).
minkaron

Re: Heya!

Postby minkaron » Sat Mar 18, 2017 10:07 pm

Administrator wrote:Oh man, I've never been to a desert before!! One of the contractors I worked with at a past job was from Arizona, and the things he described about the place always fascinated me. Like, cars clustering around trees and shade in parking lots during the summer, instead of parking near building entrances.

Yep! Living in Arizona all my life, I'm all too familiar with triple digit temperatures. Worse yet, I have an outdoor job where I get to work a wonderful 8 hours under our summer sun! But yeah, I've never actually visited a place where naturally growing grass is a thing -- that's such an alien concept to me!

Administrator wrote:Oh man, Sins of a Solar Empire!! Torvus and Imperator, do you know who loved Sins of a Solar Empire and wanted desperately for me to play it with him? The Latvian!! I never got a chance to try it out with him, but he was all about this game. Now I have it from another authority that the game is solid. If I can ever find time again, I'm going to have to give it a try.

And what is it that makes a game 4x? I've heard the term before, but I'm not sure if I've ever played one of these. I'm looking at screenshots of Aurora 4x, and it looks freakin' awesome. It's reminding me a great deal of simulation software I used to work on that helped inspire Outer Colony (teaser for the upcoming thread!).

4x stands for: eXplore, eXpand, eXploit, and eXterminate. Generally, any strategy game you play is based off this model with Sid Meier's Civilization series being the champion of this genre. You explore areas to expand your nation/base, exploit the resources on your land, and exterminate anyone who gets in your way! Aurora 4x places more emphasis on aerospace design and interstellar naval battles, but the overall gameplay mechanics is conducive for weave your own narrative as events unfold in your empire.

Return to “Introductions”