Feedback on integrated tutorials version

For sharing bugs and usability issues in Outer Colony.
Anachronic

Feedback on integrated tutorials version

Postby Anachronic » Tue Feb 14, 2017 6:33 am

Hey Sam, I did a really quick session with Outer Colony this evening and have a bit of feedback that might be useful... Bit of a laundry list actually

-I'm not getting any tool tips for the two buttons to the left of the Issue Light Structure Deployment Order button (under Issue Construction Order)
On a related note, a handy reference would be an image of the main interface screen with a legend on the right and arrows going from each tooltip to the relevant button. Or a button to press in-game to show all the button tooltips somehow. Maybe that reference already exists in your tutorial and I just missed it or forgot? I also noticed that sometimes the tooltips have a tendency to disappear on me when I'm moving the mouse from one button to the next.

-The effect of the audio options is delayed until after I close the options screen.

-Noticed that there are scroll bars below and beside the image in the World Generation scene. Not a big issue, but would be nice to see the whole picture and would add some polish to get rid of those... maybe they wouldn't be there in a higher resolution? That's more of a feature request I guess.

-It seems like the left and right mouse buttons do the same thing? Might be nice if left mouse button controls the selected tool, and the right mouse button could Inspect Tile.

-Also seems like the user can't really do anything after they closed the world map or the encyclopedia, or unpaused the game. It might be useful in that case to have the focus revert to the Inspect Tile tool. If that is a real UI issue (I might just be unaware of some functionality), then maybe it could apply to other buttons too.

-A really minor issue, but the rain doesn't pause when the game is paused. Doesn't really matter, but something in my head went "Hey, the rain didn't pause huh." Probably because I'm going through the interface like a tester instead of a gamer though...

-There is a few seconds lag each time I set down my ship. Figure that's probably when some heavy processing occurs and it's no big deal, but figured I'd let you know just in case it's something that can be improved or not supposed to happen. For slower computers it might be useful to display a message saying "Please wait" or something between when the ship location is selected and the processing is finished.

Have a couple feature suggestions that might be nice:

-Different graphics for each faction on the faction selection screen would go a long way to making the player feel connected to that choice I think... That's the only thing I really noticed that I think would improve the setup process... It would be really awesome if each faction had a different look and feel to the UI, like different color schemes or panel borders or something but that's a lot to ask eh.

-A 150% (maybe a 200% too?) zoom option so players can get a closer look at the pixel art :) Might also be useful when focusing just on your initial landing site.

-Is it possible to get back to the start menu when you're in the game? Looked for that option in the File menu and tried hitting escape thinking it might bring up a dialog but didn't.

Also should mention (possibly again?) that I really love the music, and that opening planet scene on the main menu is just awesome. Really sets a good tone for the game. I like how each of the cycling images has a highlight on the area that is presumably the colony. The only thing I'm thinking would be really cool (besides seeing that in full-screen), and which is certainly not a vital feature, is if the lights for the colony spread out across the planet as you stayed on the main menu.

Thanks for the updates! The integrated video tutorials look super helpful. I'll hopefully be able to give the game a bit more time soon. Cheers

edit - Oh and one last thing, an info or about button that had the version number, or even just having the version number in the title bar could be useful for testing. Then you would know which version is used when people send you screenshots, and it would be easier for testers to refer to which version they are on. Not really a huge deal though since the app updates automatically so testers are always on the latest version.
Administrator
Site Admin

Re: Feedback on integrated tutorials version

Postby Administrator » Sat Feb 18, 2017 3:45 am

This stuff is all solid gold, Anachronic! I'll write a more proper response here as soon as I can - I'm going to fall asleep for now, but much of this will be addressed in the next release, and I think you're going to really like the upcoming / new tutorial system a great deal!
Anachronic

Postby Anachronic » Sat Mar 11, 2017 6:20 pm

Administrator wrote:think you're going to really like the upcoming / new tutorial system a great deal!

Hi Sam, just wanted to give you some feedback about another short session with Outer Colony. I started by randomly generating a new world (looked cool, a big ocean in the middle with a narrow strip of land around the outside, a big frozen wasteland in the north), then after playing that world for a bit I gave the new in-game tutorials system a shot. Here's some findings:

-When I moved the screen view all the way to the right or bottom edge of the world, I was then unable to scroll along the edge of the world with the keyboard (at the right edge, couldn't scroll up and down; at the bottom edge, couldn't scroll left or right)

-Being at these edges of the world also seemed to affect some other functionality. At these positions, when I tried to change the zoom level it would not take effect immediately, and I had to move away from the edge before the zoom took effect. Caused me to think the zoom was broken overall, but it works fine when not at these edges of the map.

-The warping to home location button did not see to work for me sometimes. Not sure why; but it did not seem to be linked to the issues with the edges of the world.

-Just a couple quick notes about the world generation. It seemed obvious in retrospect, but I was momentarily befuddled why the display:biome and other option drop-down list wasn't working, until I generated the world. I also felt that it might be nice on this page if the generate world button was larger than the other buttons or highlighted somehow, to draw the player's attention to it. This might also apply to the Embark button

-I also thought it might be nice to give players a message/option on the equipment page, like "Proceed with stock layout" so that new players don't get overwhelmed by all the options there.

-In the tutorial series, I expected the in-game tutorial to start automatically after loading the tutorial world. I found the option to enable it under the Help menu, but it might be nice to start the tutorial automatically, with the first step explaining how to turn on and off the tutorial with the help options. Looking back, maybe it did start automatically by flashing for me to click on one of the view options, but when I did that I don't think it actually opened up the tutorial window...

-My brain was a bit tricked by the visuals of the tree. I didn't recognize that what I was looking at was a tree immediately, maybe because I have an earthling bias towards expecting trees to be green? The tutorial text did a good job here of explain the visuals and it made sense after reading that

-At step 8, the choose a landing site button was missing (I saw all the post-drop buttons instead). The tutorial seemed to basically crash at this point. I could click on the buttons or the view options, but nothing happened in the world (I could scroll around either).

I really like the direction you're going with the in-game tutorial. I think that will be a big help with getting new players up to speed! Hope this feedback is helpful for you. Although I still haven't spent a ton of time with the game, I can definitely see how the world generation process and pre-embarkation process could get very addicting. I could definitely see myself spending lots of time generating worlds over and over, trying to get that magic one that appeals to me; kind of like spending lots of time creating a character in an RPG or something.
Anachronic

Postby Anachronic » Sun Mar 19, 2017 11:00 pm

Administrator wrote:I think you're going to really like the upcoming / new tutorial system a great deal!

I do like the new tutorial system, thanks! Played around with it a bit today. Here's some findings:

Real minor typo issues due to missing spaces in the text:
typo in 5. Opening the World Map in tutorial - "orderto" missing a space
typo in 6: Viewing Region Info - "ownproperties" missing a space
typo in 40: More Cot Placement - "placement.Follow" missing a space

Extra spaces at the start of the second paragraph in the following sections:
extra space in 2: Done! View Controls - Z Levels
extra space in 9: Pausing and Unpausing
extra space in 28: Advance View Tool

-flashing red to indicate which button to push doesn't draw my attention in my peripheral vision. I need to scan the screen with my eyes to find it. I'm not colorblind but the red would be a problem for colorblind people I think. Maybe a magenta or cyan highlight instead of red would solve both those issues.

-#38 in the tutorial series could use a flashing indicator on the Next button
-tutorial stopped at 45; is there more planned content? Either way it might be nice to end with a message saying something like "Good job, time to move on to the real game!" or something.

Then went on to generate a world to play. Got really excited about my world. Landing in the Golden Wilds of Order surrounded by the Woods of Darkness, Vicious Woods, and Woods of Wild Beasts. Sounds so epic... like impossible and difficult but epic. I really love the place names that are generated for the different tiles on the map; gives it so much character.

-Unfortunately when the world loaded there was a bug related to the tutorial I think. The same last 5 yellow squares were highlighted as for placing the power line in section 35, and there were the options enabled for after the drop ship, so I could not place my colony. Clicking on the screen gave me the Error dialog from the tutorial with the "Good try" message. The problem was fixed when I closed and reopened OC and generated a new world.

-noticed a few minor things while playing. The music skipped during the generate world sand save game progress bars. There was a few second delay between selecting the spot for the ship and when the colonists disembarked, then the ship moved up and over one tile on the map I think before disappearing.

-no tooltips for the Specific Construction Meta Order and Specify Construction Type sub-options.

-I followed the same steps from the tutorial, but for some reason I was unable to delete the socialization area designation in the top-left. I tried it multiple times but it wouldn't work. Tried selecting and unselecting the list option for social area designation but nothing seemed to work. Then when I tried placing the cots in the light structure all me crew just stood around in that social area and didn't place the cots... useless louts. Figured at that point I had a decent amount of feedback for you and would post here! Cheers
Administrator
Site Admin

Postby Administrator » Tue Mar 21, 2017 11:45 pm

Another veritable treasure trove of issue reports!! HUGE thanks, Anachronic, as this stuff is fantastic.

Anachronic wrote:Real minor typo issues due to missing spaces in the text:
typo in 5. Opening the World Map in tutorial - "orderto" missing a space
typo in 6: Viewing Region Info - "ownproperties" missing a space
typo in 40: More Cot Placement - "placement.Follow" missing a space

Extra spaces at the start of the second paragraph in the following sections:
extra space in 2: Done! View Controls - Z Levels
extra space in 9: Pausing and Unpausing
extra space in 28: Advance View Tool

I logged a ticket for this, and it should be fixed shortly.

-flashing red to indicate which button to push doesn't draw my attention in my peripheral vision. I need to scan the screen with my eyes to find it. I'm not colorblind but the red would be a problem for colorblind people I think. Maybe a magenta or cyan highlight instead of red would solve both those issues.

-#38 in the tutorial series could use a flashing indicator on the Next button

Awesome idea! This is implemented and will be in the next release.

-tutorial stopped at 45; is there more planned content? Either way it might be nice to end with a message saying something like "Good job, time to move on to the real game!" or something.

You're right, the tutorial does stop abruptly. Once I've got all the steps that I think we'll need in, I'll give some proper indication that the user has completed it.

Then went on to generate a world to play. Got really excited about my world. Landing in the Golden Wilds of Order surrounded by the Woods of Darkness, Vicious Woods, and Woods of Wild Beasts. Sounds so epic... like impossible and difficult but epic. I really love the place names that are generated for the different tiles on the map; gives it so much character.

Aw, thanks, man! I like the place names, too!! The merciless regions actually tend to start with more dangerous creatures, but I'm not noticing enough of the increased danger in my early testing. Initial world generation spawn rates are going to have to be tweaked to give this more teeth, but the logic is all in place.

-noticed a few minor things while playing. The music skipped during the generate world sand save game progress bars. There was a few second delay between selecting the spot for the ship and when the colonists disembarked, then the ship moved up and over one tile on the map I think before disappearing.

Yes, I think the music is supposed to pause during saving and loading. I'll make sure it's doing what it's supposed to.

-no tooltips for the Specific Construction Meta Order and Specify Construction Type sub-options.

Ticket logged, should be squared away shortly!

-I followed the same steps from the tutorial, but for some reason I was unable to delete the socialization area designation in the top-left. I tried it multiple times but it wouldn't work. Tried selecting and unselecting the list option for social area designation but nothing seemed to work. Then when I tried placing the cots in the light structure all me crew just stood around in that social area and didn't place the cots... useless louts. Figured at that point I had a decent amount of feedback for you and would post here! Cheers

Fantastic once again, man. Are you sure you were on the right Z level? If you toggle the view area types on and off in the advanced view options, there's new information that'll being shown in the coming release, and hopefully this will make area management more clear.
Anachronic

Postby Anachronic » Sun Apr 02, 2017 9:47 pm

Hey Sam,

Spent a few minutes with OC today going through the tutorial in the new version. Here are some findings:

-When I was clicking and dragging to make the powerline in tutorial 46 the view changed z-level when I released the button. Was a bit confused and thought my colony disappeared before figuring out it was the z-level. I released the mouse button while an npc was under it... maybe that caused it?

-type in tutorial 56 - "comopnent"

-placing the power line in 114 wouldn't work until I changed the z-level and changed it back again.

-placing a simple lamp twice in 118 and 119 ... 119 seems redundant

Just a few other thoughts of feature-related things:
-it's tough to see the highlighted room in tutorial 34 when the view area social area designations is turned on. Maybe a note in the text for people to turn off that option if they are having trouble finding the highlighted area...
-I tried searching for "lamp" and noticed that you have to search for the first word (simple), so that made me think there might be a problem if users are trying to search for lamps in general with the intention of comparing different ones...
-Some in-game info would be useful for showing which materials lead to others, ie carnotitie -> uranium and iron, and giving some details about plant species... maybe to ability to right-click or hover over materials to get that info.
-Not sure if I mentioned this before, but I was also wondering if maybe the flashing red on buttons might be tough to see for people who are colorblind... Maybe using cyan or magenta or something for highlighting buttons might help make the tutorial easier to follow for colorblind players.

Hope this is useful! Thanks for the update and keep up the good work :)
Administrator
Site Admin

Postby Administrator » Mon Apr 03, 2017 5:47 pm

Amazing work as always, Anachronic! I'm logging the issue reports and feature requests now, and the simpler ones should be addressed in a release that's coming NLT tomorrow.

>type in tutorial 56 - "comopnent"
This should be fixed in the next release.

>placing the power line in 114 wouldn't work until I changed the z-level and changed it back again.
>-placing a simple lamp twice in 118 and 119 ... 119 seems redundant
I'll take a look at these two momentarily, but it's likely I messed something up in the tutorial logic.

>-I tried searching for "lamp" and noticed that you have to search for the first word (simple), so that made me think there might be a problem if users are trying to search for lamps in general with the intention of comparing different ones...
Torvus logged exactly the same feature request, and this will be coming out in the next release.

>-Some in-game info would be useful for showing which materials lead to others, ie carnotitie -> uranium and iron, and giving some details about plant species... maybe to ability to right-click or hover over materials to get that info.
I love this!! The information is currently available in the encyclopedia window, but I'm adding this to the refinery dialog.

>-Not sure if I mentioned this before, but I was also wondering if maybe the flashing red on buttons might be tough to see for people who are colorblind... Maybe using cyan or magenta or something for highlighting buttons might help make the tutorial easier to follow for colorblind players.

This is definitely something I'm thinking about, and I'll aim to change the color to magenta / make the effect more extreme in the next release.

Awesome, awesome work, dude!! Every time you make a post like this, Outer Colony gets better and better. Again, I can't thank you enough!
Anachronic

Postby Anachronic » Thu Apr 13, 2017 5:43 pm

Have the day off today so figured a morning session with OC was in order. Here’s some feedback on version 0.5.39

Opened the tutorial world to check if there was new topics. Read the text quickly but did not do the actual actions because it seemed like I had to start from the beginning and go through all 100+ steps. It would be awesome if the player could choose somehow to have the colony automatically place all the structures, assign rooms, etc. If they want to jump ahead in the tutorial. I know that's a lot to ask though sand could be a nightmare to implement, so don't consider it an official feature request, just something that would be handy for players if feasible.

When I clicked File -> Return to Main Menu

The game hanged at the Engine Shutdown – The engine is shutting down gracefully popup with the loading bar bouncing back and forth and the blue circle spinning. Waited for 4 minutes (typed this) before forcing close with task manager. Performing the same tasks again did not replicate the crash.

Some usability feedback:

About the loading after I double-click the icon from desktop. There might not be anything that can be done because I presume resources need to be loaded, libraries initialized, etc... just that there is a few second delay before the loading bar pops up and then it fills almost instantly for me. Would be nicer to have the loading dialog pop up sooner after a person clicks the icon if possible.

Then started a new generated micro world... The Place Item button is flashing magenta (nice!) after placing the drop ship. I absentmindedly clicked that and placed the light structure instead of using the correct command. Dropped the structure on the ground. Wasn't immediately obvious where the order was to pick it up. Found it down in the bottom left there but had to go through a bunch of tool tips first. It occurred to me that it might be better to have the button right next to the place item button for convenience. I would probably have been more confused if I was newer to OC...

So I reclaimed the light structure and deployed it. The Place Item buttons keeps flashing, that must be a bug! Placed the heavy machinery, planted some crops, placed the huts and some cots. It's nice to be able to check the in-game tutorial now. When I closed the in-game tutorial and tried to place power lines I got the Error – Good try, but give it another shot! Make sure click and drag precisely across the area highlighted in yellow” - typo there? Opened the tutorial again and went through a few screens and closed, and now I can place powerlines again so... bug I guess.

It’s a little weird that all the powerlines are horizontal even if I click and drag vertically. I can’t seem to reclaim powerlines...

Another bug, even though I’ve closed the tutorial it keeps asking me now to dig a mineshaft. Opened the tutorial and confirmed that I had clicked through and completed the steps up mine shaft construction. It seems that selecting the Help -> Hide In-Game Tutorial option does not correctly shut down the tutorial and allow the player to do whatever.

Is there a button or hot key that focuses the view on your colony? When I open up the tutorial it takes me to some other location on the map and asks me to build there. I’ve lost track of my colony on the map a couple times and it took me awhile to find it again. A shortcut would be handy; maybe there is one and I just don’t know about it.

That’s kind of a lot of feedback already so I’ll leave it at that for now. Cheers!
Administrator
Site Admin

Postby Administrator » Thu Apr 13, 2017 8:22 pm

Great stuff as always, Anachronic!

This is mostly a case of unforeseen user activity and poor design on my part.

The guided tutorial isn't meant to be used on newly generated worlds, and I just didn't consider that someone might try that! In truth, all the tutorial related issues stem from that problem, and I simply need to disable those menu options on non-tutorial worlds. From the time you clicked "Show In-Game Tutorial" onward, everything subsequently occurred in an undefined state, because I'm an idiot and didn't consider that users might try to run the tutorial on generated worlds. These are exactly the kinds of things that I sometimes don't foresee as a developer, but that are immediately revealed in real-user testing.

I'm going to disable the guided tutorial loading option entirely outside Zulorga 5, but I'd recommend not trying to use the guided tutorial on non-tutorial worlds.

I had a little bit of trouble reproducing the bug with demolishing power lines, though. I build them, then I select the demolition order tool, and then I drag over the power lines, and my colonists tear 'em down. Were you in the top-down view? Were you issuing the demolition orders before the power lines had been constructed?

I should have a new patch out pretty soon. Hi-5 once again, man! Every time you touch OC, you're coming through for me!!

Is there a button or hot key that focuses the view on your colony? When I open up the tutorial it takes me to some other location on the map and asks me to build there. I’ve lost track of my colony on the map a couple times and it took me awhile to find it again. A shortcut would be handy; maybe there is one and I just don’t know about it.

Definitely, man! Click the button that looks like a bed, and it'll warp your view home. You can hover over the buttons, and they should give you tooltips about what they do, too.
Anachronic

Postby Anachronic » Fri Apr 14, 2017 5:19 am

Administrator wrote:Great stuff as always, Anachronic!

I had a little bit of trouble reproducing the bug with demolishing power lines, though. I build them, then I select the demolition order tool, and then I drag over the power lines, and my colonists tear 'em down. Were you in the top-down view? Were you issuing the demolition orders before the power lines had been constructed?

Going back and looking at it again I think my issue is that the powerlines weren't actually built they were just queued up so the demolish button wasn't working... Maybe had something to do with the tutorial thing making my colony act funky. Thanks for the tip about the bed icon... should have been obvious but I must have missed it while scanning over the tool tips.

Return to “Issue Reporting”