All the small things I find

For sharing bugs and usability issues in Outer Colony.
Asgarus

All the small things I find

Postby Asgarus » Sat Aug 26, 2017 12:00 pm

Hey everybody
I thought I'd create a thread for all the tiny bugs one finds that are not worth a whole thread of their own.

Asgarus

Re: All the small things I find

Postby Asgarus » Sat Aug 26, 2017 4:20 pm

I noticed that there don't seem to be that many different names.
Right now I have a family needing a room, but the person requesting it has no unique name.
Would be nice to have a larger name pool so that doesn't happen.

And in case it still happens (which is likely if the names are chosen randomly^^) it would be nice to see more information about the requester in the request window, so that you can better see which person it is.

Torvus

Postby Torvus » Sat Aug 26, 2017 9:08 pm

More names are in the works, but I think this is probably a result of parents naming the kids after themselves. Its good to keep a name in the family, but they currently do it a tad too often.
I am Torvus. My titles at voyager games are thus: Lore Weaver, Creature Consultant, Chief Science Officer, Company Chaplain, and Star Magus among others.
Asgarus

Postby Asgarus » Sat Aug 26, 2017 10:15 pm

Adding numbers could help with that.
Bla I.
Bla II.
and so on.

Or adding the option to show the ID of a person.

edit: and tbh, I always found it silly if son and father (it doesn't seem to be that popular when it comes to females) have the same name. Who is so full of themselves that they think naming their child after themselves is a great thing to do? lol
Torvus

Postby Torvus » Sat Aug 26, 2017 10:38 pm

The I, II, III idea might be very helpful.

And in real life, I usually see the II being named after a grandparent rather than the parent.
I am Torvus. My titles at voyager games are thus: Lore Weaver, Creature Consultant, Chief Science Officer, Company Chaplain, and Star Magus among others.
Asgarus

Postby Asgarus » Sun Aug 27, 2017 10:03 am

I don't really see it at all here in Germany. I think it's more popular in the US anyway.

Also: The different factions in the game could handle names differently.
I don't know if that is already the case, but if not it would be a nice feature I think.
Administrator
Site Admin

Postby Administrator » Sun Sep 03, 2017 9:38 pm

Asgarus wrote:Image

Good find here, man. The quantity should be 125, as you have deduced. That was logged in ticket #393 and a fix should be in place in the next release.

Also, Torvus is right with the how the naming is working now. Some NPCs (depending on their personalities) like to name their children after themselves, but it's getting out of control / in the way of gameplay. I've logged a feature request in ticket #394 to drastically reduce this.
Asgarus

Postby Asgarus » Sun Sep 03, 2017 10:35 pm

Well, the main problem with that right now is that you have no indication which person is requesting a room if there are several with the same name.
Simply reducing that wouldn't really solve that problem.

I think adding a count to those names would help a lot.

Or you could add a remark in the list when choosing who to give a room to. Something like "John Doe (requested a room)", or maybe something shorter, like "req.".
Also a remark for those that already have a room assigned.
Administrator
Site Admin

Postby Administrator » Sun Sep 03, 2017 10:56 pm

Asgarus wrote:Or you could add a remark in the list when choosing who to give a room to. Something like "John Doe (requested a room)", or maybe something shorter, like "req.".
Also a remark for those that already have a room assigned.

Utterly brilliant. This is a really quick fix I can jam into the patch coming out this weekend that'll solve the room assignment problem in the short term, and I'll come up with a mechanism to decrease the same-naming issue thereafter.

Between you and Torvus, you guys have the sharpest insight with suggesting these kinds of fixes. You two should seriously work in QA for software.
Asgarus

Postby Asgarus » Mon Sep 04, 2017 4:28 pm

Well, it's one thing to test something you enjoy, I guess most of the time that's not the case if you work in QA.
I prefer to do the programming part normally. ;)

Return to “Issue Reporting”