RetroPrincess Bug Hunt

For sharing bugs and usability issues in Outer Colony.
RetroPrincess

RetroPrincess Bug Hunt

Postby RetroPrincess » Mon Dec 26, 2016 8:31 pm

Hi Sam
Felt it was easier to start a thread and post in to it as I come across things in order to organise my thoughts. If this isnt the way this should happen do let me know - last time I wrote on a forum was circa 2009 so I'm a tad rusty!

Today's glitches: (so far....I'm having a total sesh!)
No rooms or areas would alter function on the landing site including buildings
There was no menu bar on loading a new world so it was not possible to save
Administrator
Site Admin

Re: RetroPrincess Bug Hunt

Postby Administrator » Tue Dec 27, 2016 3:33 pm

RetroPrincess wrote:Today's glitches: (so far....I'm having a total sesh!)
No rooms or areas would alter function on the landing site including buildings
There was no menu bar on loading a new world so it was not possible to save

This is perfect, a great place to post this stuff! I'm down in North Carolina at my parents' house today, and I'll be down here until very late Wednesday night. I'm semi-out-of-action at present, but I'm excited to look into this upon my return. As soon as I get back, though, I'll reach out to you and we'll figure out what these bugs are all about! Something might have gone wrong with the save files, so I might ask you to email me something to investigate, but we'll get it sorted out.

Gigantic thanks again, though, as this is exactly the sort of stuff that I'm hoping you guys can help me find!
RetroPrincess

Postby RetroPrincess » Tue Dec 27, 2016 5:56 pm

Menu bar issue solved (sort of) - I had changed the resolution and now realise that the menu bar was hiding just outside of the working parameters of the game window. Put the res back to standard and all is well again.
Starting a new game owing to the mining mess so Il keep updating as I find anything.
IM LOVING THIS!!!!!!!!! 8-)
RetroPrincess

Postby RetroPrincess » Tue Dec 27, 2016 7:57 pm

Me again!
[*]Manufactoring button got stuck 'down' at times looking like it was in use which it wasn't. I could still use it, it just appeared incorrectly.
[*]After playing for about 90 mins with everything going ok, my population suddenly was zero and I wasn't sure what to do. I tried closing so that I could open from where I had saved.
[*]Loading process got to the end and the gave the error message "Selected world could not be loaded"

Oh well, at least I'm getting further each time my population melts lol! I wonder whether I'm just not fast enough at completing what needs to be in place for the colonists?

RP x
Torvus

Postby Torvus » Tue Dec 27, 2016 9:40 pm

RetroPrincess wrote:
[*]After playing for about 90 mins with everything going ok, my population suddenly was zero and I wasn't sure what to do. I tried closing so that I could open from where I had saved.

I had a less dramatic version of this. My population dropped by 2 without my knowledge. It was on the multiplayer world with Sam, so it was possible some of his colonists had killed mine. Turns out they'd been killed by an animal. Perhaps notifications on colonists death (with a toggle off feature) would be handy.

RetroPrincess wrote:Oh well, at least I'm getting further each time my population melts lol!

That's the spirit!
I am Torvus. My titles at voyager games are thus: Lore Weaver, Creature Consultant, Chief Science Officer, Company Chaplain, and Star Magus among others.
Administrator
Site Admin

Postby Administrator » Sat Dec 31, 2016 2:19 pm

RetroPrincess wrote:Me again!
[*]Manufactoring button got stuck 'down' at times looking like it was in use which it wasn't. I could still use it, it just appeared incorrectly.
[*]Loading process got to the end and the gave the error message "Selected world could not be loaded"
RP x

All of these are excellent! Would you mind if I sent you a Twitter DM about how to email me a world's save file? If you could send me this save file, I could figure out exactly what that bug is all about.

Oh well, at least I'm getting further each time my population melts lol! I wonder whether I'm just not fast enough at completing what needs to be in place for the colonists?

This actually may well be the case. ~90 minutes is usually how long it takes for them to die of dehydration, but we'll take a look at your worlds and see what caused them to die. Since you're finding all these issues, it might be great if I made an account for you in our issue tracking system. Would you be up for having an account on our issue tracking system to more easily log official bug reports? I'll send you a DM as soon as I can on Twitter, but thanks so much again for your diligence in testing. You're coming through big time!
RetroPrincess

Postby RetroPrincess » Sat Dec 31, 2016 7:15 pm

Of course hun would be my pleasure
RetroPrincess

Postby RetroPrincess » Sat Dec 31, 2016 9:31 pm

Hmmm lots of interesting ones this evening!
[*]Last sessions save wouldnt load as per last time. The one before that still doesnt load either
[*]Had a number of episodes of the game absolutely grinding to a halt. Like lag but without playing an online game if you see what I mean. Sometimes it stopped altogether and then cleared itself and sometimes it just went really slowly. Interestingly although the graphics and response to command slow down, the time doesn't which made for some interesting scenarios!
Sometimes when it cleared it also moved the whole game window as if it thought I was trying to move it.
Tried to close and reload from my last save but the save has gone again as per the other two. LOL!!
[*]I didnt know that if you didn't have the right facilities to manufacture something it saved it until later - now have 10 of one building :lol:

RP x
Administrator
Site Admin

Postby Administrator » Fri Jan 06, 2017 2:25 am

Some excellent finds here.

RetroPrincess wrote:[*]Last sessions save wouldnt load as per last time. The one before that still doesnt load either

I believe this scenario is covered by ticket #186, which I looked into for about an hour tonight, but couldn't immediately diagnose. I am usually a little fried by this time of night, and I'm not as sharp a coder as I am in the early morning. I will re-evaluate what's going on first thing tomorrow and see if I can't get to the bottom of this, but I know already that the world is getting into a fundamentally broken state where all subsequent behavior is undefined. I hope that fixing the fundamentals of this issue will clear up most of the rest of your bugs.

[*]Had a number of episodes of the game absolutely grinding to a halt. Like lag but without playing an online game if you see what I mean. Sometimes it stopped altogether and then cleared itself and sometimes it just went really slowly. Interestingly although the graphics and response to command slow down, the time doesn't which made for some interesting scenarios!
Sometimes when it cleared it also moved the whole game window as if it thought I was trying to move it.
Tried to close and reload from my last save but the save has gone again as per the other two. LOL!!

This slow-down might also be a side-effect of the broken world state that's causing issue 1. Basically, when the first issue in this post happens, everything is off the rails at a fundamental level. The game really should crash and prevent you from continuing on (well, it actually shouldn't ever crash, because the broken state shouldn't be reached, but if it is reached, it's much better to gracefully terminate than to continue chugging along as it progressively bursts into flames).

If you get a chance, RP, would you mind posting your computer's specs in the hardware thread here: viewtopic.php?f=8&t=21&start=20

Knowing what sort of CPU, how much RAM, and what kind of video card you have will help in a big way to diagnose potential performance issues.

Return to “Issue Reporting”