Findings from the tutorial series

For sharing bugs and usability issues in Outer Colony.
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
Anachronic
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Findings from the tutorial series

Postby Anachronic » Fri Jan 13, 2017 6:01 am

Spent a few minutes going through the first couple tutorial videos this evening. The videos are really well done, thanks! Think I might have found a bug? I dunno... This screenshot shows how Temperate Dry forest with no ground cover was created in a square-ish pattern in the middle of the tutorial world (the other three corners are all 90 degrees. Is that a product of the world generation? It seems a bit out of place... Not exactly sure how big the area without ground cover is, but it's a few screens worth but still small compared to the full map size.

Although I admittedly haven't played much, things I'm really loving area:
1) The music! Really sets a good mood.
2) The auto-update process. Seamless. Did you code all that yourself or are you using an add-on? I've used a program that automatically creates an installer from a Unity game before, but I don't think it supported auto-updating like that. Yours is really sleek and user friendly!

My extreme budget build lagged a bit while changing Z levels. I also have a feature request that some players might find useful: switching between z levels using the scroll wheel. Sorry to be so demanding :mrgreen:

Administrator
Site Admin

Re: Findings from the tutorial series

Postby Administrator » Fri Jan 13, 2017 11:58 pm

Anachronic

Postby Anachronic » Sun Jan 15, 2017 12:26 am

Administrator
Site Admin

Postby Administrator » Mon Jan 16, 2017 1:34 am

Administrator
Site Admin

Postby Administrator » Mon Jan 16, 2017 6:45 pm

Administrator
Site Admin

Postby Administrator » Thu Jan 19, 2017 2:49 pm

Anachronic

Postby Anachronic » Fri Jan 20, 2017 1:53 am

Hey Sam, just got the chance to update and load OC just now for a few minutes before making dinner. In regards to your questions -

At the start the tutorial world was running at around 50% CPU load. Now that I've selected a site it's running around 35%.

The z level scrolling is smooth now. I don't think it was as bad as a few seconds before, maybe just occasionally taking a half-second or so between levels. Now it's pretty much instantaneous. Maybe I had another program like Unity or something before that was affecting it.

The elevation of the dirt soil area is all 58 (consistent across the whole patch). There appear to be animals wandering across it now. I need to go and watch more of those tutorials, but just playing with it a bit there's one thing I'm noticing about the interface. When I select a different view mode with the mouse (Top Dow, Surface, or Z-level), the arrow keys switch from panning around the map to switching between the view modes. I got kinda stuck for a moment and couldn't figure out how to zoom around. Eventually I figured out that clicking on one of the buttons with icons reverts the keyboard control back to panning around the map. Before figuring that out though, I managed to accidentally set my ship down in the middle of the empty dirt patch... oops :roll:

I've got it figured out now, but it's not super intuitive how to get keyboard control back to panning after you select a view mode. Is there a hotkey that does that, or am I missing an interface option? Not sure if that keyboard behavior is desirable by default. I totally get wanting to make the game completely playable with the mouse or keyboard alone for accessibility, but maybe shifting through view modes with the keyboard should only occur when the player makes a conscious decisions to switch the keyboard's focus away from the main game panel, say theoretically by hitting tab to switch between different parts of the interface. Another thing I'm noticing is that I don't seem to be able to hit alt to get the keyboard to focus on the File menu. Would be a nice thing to have to use the keyboard instead of the mouse for the drop-down options.

That's like 15 minutes of QA for 1 minute of play-time :lol: I'll get you some more feedback when I have a chance to play more through the tutorial. Cheers eh!
Administrator
Site Admin

Postby Administrator » Tue Jan 24, 2017 3:02 pm

Return to “Issue Reporting”