Feedback on integrated tutorials version

For sharing bugs and usability issues in Outer Colony.
Administrator
Site Admin

Re: Feedback on integrated tutorials version

Postby Administrator » Sat Apr 15, 2017 2:46 pm

Anachronic wrote:Thanks for the tip about the bed icon... should have been obvious but I must have missed it while scanning over the tool tips.

Yeah man, it's actually a minor issue that I'm thinking of ways to deal with. There are so many buttons, so many menu items, and so many controls that it's easy to overlook the right one when a new player is still learning everything.

I'm not sure if there's anything I can do about it, easily. Having a lot of gameplay sorta' necessitates a lot of controls, which leads to the situation described here. I'll give it some thought, but maybe adding a tutorial step about this button will at least let players know that it exists!
Lodeman

Postby Lodeman » Sun Apr 16, 2017 9:13 am

Hi there, I've spent some time with the tutorial world, got to step 32.
Here's my feedback on what I've played thus far (I took notes in notepad as I went along, so excuse the notepad-ish brevity):
- Tutorial step 11, view interiors => I had not yet paused the game soon enough, and the ship already got disassembled before I could view the interior.
- The soundtrack is great!!
- Just an idea, if feasible: to make the ingame tutorial more accessible/less of a chore, perhaps consider having it narrated by a (great) voice?
-> Eg. it would make for a much easier user-experience if the text of the tutorial was narrated in a similar style to say Stellaris.
-> I'm aware there's youtube vids that tell you how to play, but I still think an ingame narration would be a fantastic addition :)
-> I think this is especially important since I noticed there's over 100 tutorials, for many players I imagine this to be a rather daunting task to work though :o
- Tooltips take too long to appear on buttons imo, can this be made almost instantaneous? Right now when I hover over a button, it takes something like 0.5 - 1.0 seconds to appear. And I'm a rather impatient person :p
- Overall I've noticed some performance drops every few seconds, probably due to some heavy CPU calculations taking place. I'm playing on the 6 GB memory setting, but noticed in task-viewer the game is only taking up about 3 GB, so I'm assuming it's not due to that setting being too low in my case.

I definitely like the game so far, I feel it's heading in an interesting and fun direction.

Hope this is useful!
Cheers,
Lodeman
Torvus

Postby Torvus » Sun Apr 16, 2017 1:17 pm

Lodeman wrote:- Just an idea, if feasible: to make the ingame tutorial more accessible/less of a chore, perhaps consider having it narrated by a (great) voice?
-> Eg. it would make for a much easier user-experience if the text of the tutorial was narrated in a similar style to say Stellaris.
-> I'm aware there's youtube vids that tell you how to play, but I still think an ingame narration would be a fantastic addition :)
-> I think this is especially important since I noticed there's over 100 tutorials, for many players I imagine this to be a rather daunting task to work though :o

Sam has discussed this point with me in the not so distant past, so I can say that there will be a VA for the tutorial at some point in the future.
I am Torvus. My titles at voyager games are thus: Lore Weaver, Creature Consultant, Chief Science Officer, Company Chaplain, and Star Magus among others.
Administrator
Site Admin

Postby Administrator » Sun Apr 16, 2017 9:31 pm

This is why Lodeman is awesome, and his Twitter feed is so solid - the guy knows what he's doing, and we often think alike!

Lodeman wrote:- Just an idea, if feasible: to make the ingame tutorial more accessible/less of a chore, perhaps consider having it narrated by a (great) voice?
- Tooltips take too long to appear on buttons imo, can this be made almost instantaneous? Right now when I hover over a button, it takes something like 0.5 - 1.0 seconds to appear. And I'm a rather impatient person :p

Right on, 100%! I thought the exact same thing, so we brought a voice actress onto the team, and our first batch of voice recordings just arrived today. You can expect to hear them in the next release!

- Overall I've noticed some performance drops every few seconds, probably due to some heavy CPU calculations taking place. I'm playing on the 6 GB memory setting, but noticed in task-viewer the game is only taking up about 3 GB, so I'm assuming it's not due to that setting being too low in my case.

Good eye, man. It's likely garbage collection that you're seeing. I've been toying with the JVM's garbage collection options to try to minimize stop-the-world collections, but they can still be noticed periodically. The best strategy for dealing with these kind of disruptive garbage collections is to simply take load off the garbage collector. I've been gradually paring down the volume of object allocations, but there's still ground to be covered. Outer Colony has an FPS cap of 10, too, so the animation framework itself is designed to accommodate brief STW pauses without disrupting the user experience. Were the FPS drops noticeable, or were the performance spikes something you just noticed in the task manager?

Either way, your insights are keen, and you've identified something that I'm constantly working to improve.

Huge thanks for the feedback, Lodeman, as this is a giant help!

Return to “Issue Reporting”