Feedback on version 0.5.40

For sharing bugs and usability issues in Outer Colony.
Anachronic

Feedback on version 0.5.40

Postby Anachronic » Thu Apr 20, 2017 6:44 pm

Hey Sam, sick today so did some testing on the latest version.

I might have mentioned this before but a menu option that shows the version # (and maybe has a link to your website, social media, etc.) would be useful for testers. I always forget to pay attention during the update process and then second-guess myself later.

Spent a bit of time customizing my colonists and equipment –
The default supply number for fiberglass stairs is 125 vs. Max quantity of 152. Maybe a typo?

Chose a micro world, and settled in the Chilled Woodlands of Reason by the Chilly Sea of Order and Prairie of Sleeping.

Selected all completely conformists: One of each with max-outed traits: jack-of-all trades, miner, doctor, horticulturalist, construction worker, culinary artist, child care professional, and infantry soldier.

Entered max quantities for all ammo and seeds and still had lots of credits. Also increased the default supply of Fiberglass stairs from 125 to 152? Maybe 125 is a typo...

In the game the world map button keeps flashing, even after I click it and hit OK on the map to close it. Kept flashing this whole game (still flashing after save and load). Saw the colony ship appear but this time it didn’t disappear quickly. The new commands and items in the top right corner of the landing grid appeared but no colonists emerged for a while... I assume it’s because non of the conformists would leave the ship. Edit – more info below.

Is it possible to take the in-game tutorial options in the Help menu out completely for the normal game? Not a huge issue, but I was thinking that there is really no reason for a user to show or hide it in the tutorial world... Tried those menu options again just out of curiosity even though you told me not too, so saw the dialog pop up. The tutorial could just start automatically when the tutorial world is loaded then stop automatically after the last step and allow the player to go on.

It would be nice to have a way to make just the in-game tutorial text dialog pop-up (in both the tutorial world and normal worlds if possible), but without actually running the full script that highlights buttons, shows grids, etc.

Is there unique right click functionality? Maybe I mentioned this before, if so sorry for repeating myself. It would be nice to be able to right click on a cell on the map and bring up some information about the terrain, or to be able to scroll around the map by right-clicking and dragging.

Oh! My colonists did emerge finally (took a few minutes, not sure exactly how long I had given up hope). The ship is still there though, and flickers every now and then. They don’t seem very active, and there’s only five all standing in upper right corner. I took a screenshot and can share if useful to you.

A sixth has finally emerged after another minute or so and is wandering around slowly (none of the others are moving). Can deploy one light structure but there is no room for the other with the ship and I get the “must be deployed on level ground warning” everywhere I try.

The ship has finally disappeared after about 7 minutes I think. The game also seems kinda unusually laggy. Think I’ll save and shut this world down for a bit and post the feedback! Cheers

PS when I tried loading this world, the light structures had disappeared and all the colonists were standing in the middle of the grid, while three walls of the ship (like a U) was showing and flickering. Took another screenshot and can share if it’s useful.

PSS one more thing I was thinking that would be a cool little cheat thing, would be if clicking the zoom to colony button before selecting your landing location would take you automatically to an ideal location (if such a thing exists) on the map with good climate, minerals, etc.
Administrator
Site Admin

Re: Feedback on version 0.5.40

Postby Administrator » Thu Apr 20, 2017 10:35 pm

Great report as always, Anachronic!

I can't reproduce any of the functionality you described, but from what you've said, I know exactly what's going on. Something about this world is 100% pegging your processor, and the world is running at an impossibly slow rate. When the processor can't keep up, time slows down in-game, and world processing, NPCs, rendering, and everything else slow down, resulting in lag. I've seen this happen in early development as a result of inefficient or broken code. There was a time when aquatic species' pathfinding through 3-space would max out the processor, as a result of poor heuristics when they were looking for food. I accidentally gave storm whales infinite sight and hearing range, so their search mechanism would traverse the entire volume of an ocean when looking for ideal prey, and a single pack of storm whales consumed every available CPU resource.

There must be something peculiar about this world that's killing everything.

I'll send you an email describing how to do so, but if you can send me a little bit more information, I'd be extremely curious about what's going on. I'll be able to figure this out if you can put the world's save file into a .zip folder and email it to me. When I open it up on my end, I'll be able to immediately see what's eating all the processing resources and breaking the game.

In the game the world map button keeps flashing, even after I click it and hit OK on the map to close it. Kept flashing this whole game (still flashing after save and load).

This is excellent to know, too, although I have no idea how it's possible, and I can't reproduce it. I've generated oodles of test worlds, and the tutorial highlighting isn't taking place in any of them. Is the world you generated coincidentally named the same thing as the tutorial world (Zulorga 5)? It shouldn't be possible, but that's the only way I can see for it to happen.

Was there a particular button you hit before the world map button started flashing? If you start a brand new world, can you reproduce it?

Is it possible to take the in-game tutorial options in the Help menu out completely for the normal game? Not a huge issue, but I was thinking that there is really no reason for a user to show or hide it in the tutorial world...

I actually thought about removing them entirely, but I wanted to leave them in there and direct users on the proper way to load the tutorial, just in case they weren't sure how.

Is there unique right click functionality? Maybe I mentioned this before, if so sorry for repeating myself. It would be nice to be able to right click on a cell on the map and bring up some information about the terrain, or to be able to scroll around the map by right-clicking and dragging.

There is! I'll have to post an article on military quick-controls, but right clicking is currently used to issue various combat orders on the fly. There's no tutorial on it yet, but it's something I need to explain to end users.

I'm sorry to ask so many follow-up questions in my reply here, but your report here is immensely useful, and I really want to pinpoint what's going on! I'm sending another virtual hi-5 your way in gratitude!!
Anachronic

Postby Anachronic » Fri Apr 21, 2017 2:24 pm

Administrator wrote:Great report as always, Anachronic!

I'll send you an email describing how to do so, but if you can send me a little bit more information, I'd be extremely curious about what's going on. I'll be able to figure this out if you can put the world's save file into a .zip folder and email it to me. When I open it up on my end, I'll be able to immediately see what's eating all the processing resources and breaking the game.

That explanation makes sense. No worries, I''ll send you the email shortly.

Administrator wrote:This is excellent to know, too, although I have no idea how it's possible, and I can't reproduce it. I've generated oodles of test worlds, and the tutorial highlighting isn't taking place in any of them. Is the world you generated coincidentally named the same thing as the tutorial world (Zulorga 5)? It shouldn't be possible, but that's the only way I can see for it to happen.

Was there a particular button you hit before the world map button started flashing? If you start a brand new world, can you reproduce it?

The world name is different, but I did open the tutorial world before generating the new one so maybe that made something wonky. I also played with the colonists and equipment settings, and selected the Surssia faction I think... which is different than other worlds I've tried. Generating a new world with default values for colonists and equipment is not replicating the issue for me.

I tried replicating the bug by setting all the colonists to total conformists and maxing out equipment again, and this time the world started with all the buttons enabled and I was unable to set me ship down. Also, the world that was generated was completely different from the one shown in the world generated screen. I'll try these steps again and see what happens... Confirmed, this time just set all character traits to conformist and something is messing up the loading of the world. All the buttons are enabled again and can't set down the colony ship.
Administrator
Site Admin

Postby Administrator » Fri Apr 21, 2017 3:00 pm

Anachronic wrote:I tried replicating the bug by setting all the colonists to total conformists and maxing out equipment again, and this time the world started with all the buttons enabled and I was unable to set me ship down. Also, the world that was generated was completely different from the one shown in the world generated screen. I'll try these steps again and see what happens... Confirmed, this time just set all character traits to conformist and something is messing up the loading of the world. All the buttons are enabled again and can't set down the colony ship.

You're the man, Anachronic!! I'm 99% sure once again that I know what's going on.

but I did open the tutorial world before generating the new one so maybe that made something wonky.

This right here!

I think everything is being caused by using the "Return to Main Menu" option. This seemingly simple feature is actually a tremendous pain in the ass, because various singletons / rogue engine components are incorrectly hanging onto references to the old world, which is leaving everything in an undefined state. I hate to make users close the game to go back to the main menu, but it's necessary for now, since I don't have time to patch all this stuff before the public release.

I'm just going to remove the return to main menu option, and these issues should be solved.

Return to “Issue Reporting”