Slight Water Glitch

For sharing bugs and usability issues in Outer Colony.
Mazarus

Slight Water Glitch

Postby Mazarus » Sat May 20, 2017 11:21 pm

Hey, so I'm currently on my Macbook playing my first non-tutorial session, and I made a small pool of water near my colony. I was getting water from a river that was higher. Well, around an hour later of play time I suddenly notice my pool was missing. I was confused thinking I may have forgotten to save but I checked my tunnel leading to the river and it was completely full of water, and there was a single block right in front of the tunnel exit.

Pictures of the pool:

Before
Screen Shot 2017-05-20 at 4.28.55 PM.png
Screen Shot 2017-05-20 at 4.28.55 PM.png (135.42 KiB) Viewed 387 times

After
Screen Shot 2017-05-20 at 7.01.25 PM.png
Screen Shot 2017-05-20 at 7.01.25 PM.png (198.49 KiB) Viewed 387 times

Now I do know that there should be water as I had a water treatment station using the pool. I also have screenshots of that information.
Questions? Comments? Concerns?
Administrator
Site Admin

Re: Slight Water Glitch

Postby Administrator » Sun May 21, 2017 3:57 pm

Damn, Mazarus, you're getting into some advanced mechanics right off the bat!! This is a righteous report, and I freakin' love it! Messing with liquids is one of the most amusing things for me in Outer Colony, and it makes me really want to introduce more advanced pumping mechanics, machinery, and things like that.

What you've shown here might indicate a defect in the mechanics of liquid flow, or some other factor might be drying out the water. Would you be willing to send me the world's save files to have a look at them?
Mazarus

Postby Mazarus » Mon May 22, 2017 12:52 am

So, slightly weird story. I had been playing the world for about 2 hours when I closed up my laptop and hadn't saved in awhile. When I opened it up I tried to get it to start a save since I suddenly realized how long it had been. Unfortunately, the save progress bar appear and made zero change. I decided to leave it till early this morning to try anything with it. When I tried to open it up the world did not want to load up, leading me to believe it had been corrupted somehow. I deleted the world right before going on the forum to see your response. Yeah, so I will be probably be trying to start another world with as close as possible variables to that of my original world and recreating the same system I had. If I get the same glitch I will post here again.
Questions? Comments? Concerns?
Administrator
Site Admin

Postby Administrator » Sat May 27, 2017 3:37 pm

Mazarus wrote:So, slightly weird story. I had been playing the world for about 2 hours when I closed up my laptop and hadn't saved in awhile. When I opened it up I tried to get it to start a save since I suddenly realized how long it had been. Unfortunately, the save progress bar appear and made zero change. I decided to leave it till early this morning to try anything with it. When I tried to open it up the world did not want to load up, leading me to believe it had been corrupted somehow. I deleted the world right before going on the forum to see your response. Yeah, so I will be probably be trying to start another world with as close as possible variables to that of my original world and recreating the same system I had. If I get the same glitch I will post here again.

Hey Mazarus, I'm sorry to be slow addressing this issue. I've been pulled in a bunch of different directions over the last couple weeks, and the time I've been putting into Outer Colony has been focused on experimental changes aimed at improving its shelf appeal.

I made a thread about it here, but I'm considering changing the game's rendering framework to use isometric / SimCity 2000 style graphics. For whatever reason, Outer Colony in its current form doesn't seem to quite have what it takes to grab a user's attention, and I think we're going to have to make some adjustments in order for it to have a better shot at catching on.

I'll do my best to check out these issues you're hitting, and it would be a big help if you could get some world saves where these things are happening, but in the near future, my focus may be shifting onto overhauling the game's visuals. If you've got any ideas for improving the game further, please feel free to post them, man! You're one of our best users, and I really value your input immensely.

Return to “Issue Reporting”