bugs

For sharing bugs and usability issues in Outer Colony.
Etgfrog

bugs

Postby Etgfrog » Mon Jun 26, 2017 9:02 pm

There is currently a bug where if you request for a transport ship and it brings nothing, it cannot trade anything because it didn't spawn with a stockpile for its workers to load the goods onto.
I did a second game to confirm the bug is consistent. This bug ends up persisting every time a transport ship arrives, the workers end up doing nothing after a trade is finalized. However if the transport ship brings something then things goes as normal every time.

A second bug that that I've noticed is if you demolish a light structure, all items inside of it gets deleted. So if you miss click on the demolish order it will simply remove everything inside.

The third one is not as much of a bug but more of an annoyance factor. The player has to micro-manage the farms after every harvest, ordering to plant new plants every time even if it is in an agriculture zone.
Administrator
Site Admin

Re: bugs

Postby Administrator » Mon Jun 26, 2017 10:10 pm

Hi, Etgfrog, and big welcome to the forums! Major thanks for your bug reports here.

I just took a look at the behaviors you described, and all constitute pretty serious defects.

There is currently a bug where if you request for a transport ship and it brings nothing, it cannot trade anything because it didn't spawn with a stockpile for its workers to load the goods onto.
I did a second game to confirm the bug is consistent. This bug ends up persisting every time a transport ship arrives, the workers end up doing nothing after a trade is finalized. However if the transport ship brings something then things goes as normal every time.

This one is heinous. I was screwing around with some trade logic in one of the last minor patches, and I broke this. I'll log it in our bug tracker momentarily.

Etgfrog wrote:A second bug that that I've noticed is if you demolish a light structure, all items inside of it gets deleted. So if you miss click on the demolish order it will simply remove everything inside.

This also should not be. Excellent find.

The third one is not as much of a bug but more of an annoyance factor. The player has to micro-manage the farms after every harvest, ordering to plant new plants every time even if it is in an agriculture zone.

Right on, here. Forum user Torvus has noted the same thing on numerous occasions. There's currently a bureaucratic position called the minister of agriculture, and for non-player expeditions, the NPC that holds this post will automatically issue crop planting orders and orders to maintain bee hives. The minister currently issues planting orders in a haphazard and idiotic fashion, just telling NPCs to plant seeds in the agriculture zones at random.

What this minister should probably do for player expeditions is to keep track of where plant species were planted before and to automatically replace harvested crops with new ones. For non-player expeditions, the minister should run some smarter logic and plant crops that the expedition actually needs, but I haven't exactly determined how I want to approach that problem yet.

-------------------------------------------------

On the whole, you'll note there are a great many bugs still in Outer Colony. Most of the time, players (myself included) develop certain patterns in playing the game, and whenever they play, they mechanically execute those patterns. When a new player starts the game out, that player always does something a little bit differently from the old ones, and that unexpected / untested behavior usually reveals new bugs. Since our player base is still very tiny, I'm sure you'll find a ton of things wrong with the game as you exercise it.

Huge thanks for any issues you can report here, and I really appreciate your patience and feedback in trying the game out! If you have any ideas for features you'd like to see in the game, big or small, please feel completely free to post those, too. Many of the neatest ideas in the game have come straight from players, and Outer Colony is very much in a dynamic state of development.
Etgfrog

Postby Etgfrog » Tue Jun 27, 2017 5:04 am

I should just use this topic to post the bugs I find.

From what I can tell canceling a mining order while its being carried out will cause the audio node to stay forever. Even after saving the game and restarting it.

If you purchase multiple heavy machinery from the trader, it will arrive as a stack. Trying to place it will result in a single one.

Sorting social media by date results in it sorting by day then month then year when it should be the other way around.

Refining materials adds raw materials and processed materials.
Refining 1,000,000 magnetite out of 1,500,000 resulted in 2,980,000 magnetite after.

Duplicate names appears on the bureaucracy management list after children are born.
Torvus

Postby Torvus » Tue Jun 27, 2017 11:23 pm

Thank you for your continued help!
I am Torvus. My titles at voyager games are thus: Lore Weaver, Creature Consultant, Chief Science Officer, Company Chaplain, and Star Magus among others.
Administrator
Site Admin

Postby Administrator » Wed Jun 28, 2017 3:12 am

Huge thanks, man! You're coming through for us big time. I apologize that there will be a minor delay in fixing these bugs, as I'm implementing a caching system to improve the performance of rendering at the moment, and this feature requires my full attention when I can carve out time to work on Outer Colony. I'll get these issues logged, and many of these will be my very top priorities when working on the next release.

Anything else you can find, or any more ideas you have - feel totally free to post them! These are exactly the kinds of threads that are the biggest help in sorting out current issues and getting the game to a solidly playable state.
Etgfrog

Postby Etgfrog » Wed Jun 28, 2017 11:08 am

So I have a theory as to why some games end up having trading bugs and some games have issues with the duplicating materials, or even some games have food production that takes forever. Its because the ai gets to decide where it applies the skill/efficiency bonus to. The traders are considering how they can get the most from a trade, which is to take what they receive from their end of the trade but cancel their moving resources to the colony they are trading with, which is stealing, if you wanted to have it be apart of the game then that is something the diplomat could attempt to resolve. The ai trying to figure out where to best use the refinery efficiency bonus is applying that to the ore consumed turning that from a negative number to a positive number. Same goes for food production, its only happened a few games out of several that I've played.

Ok, never mind about the trade thing. What is actually happening is if you do a trade before the workers are idle then they wont go to do the trade.

Steel cannot be processed, I've build all types of heavy machinery and none is acknowledged by the job window.
Administrator
Site Admin

Postby Administrator » Wed Jun 28, 2017 8:28 pm

I'll comment on the other defects, but this one is of particular interest to me:

Etgfrog wrote:Steel cannot be processed, I've build all types of heavy machinery and none is acknowledged by the job window.

I just loaded one of my test worlds, and I'm able to synthesize steel alright. Do you have all of the following?

1. Iron
2. Carbon
3. A metallurgy station connected to a power grid that has energy reserves.

Thanks again, man, you're doing tremendous work!! I'm impressed by how far you're getting into so many different subsystems!
Etgfrog

Postby Etgfrog » Wed Jul 05, 2017 5:05 pm

I think I managed to isolate the duplicating resources, the extra materials are being pulled from the void.

Administrator wrote:I'll comment on the other defects, but this one is of particular interest to me:

Etgfrog wrote:Steel cannot be processed, I've build all types of heavy machinery and none is acknowledged by the job window.

I just loaded one of my test worlds, and I'm able to synthesize steel alright. Do you have all of the following?

1. Iron
2. Carbon
3. A metallurgy station connected to a power grid that has energy reserves.

Thanks again, man, you're doing tremendous work!! I'm impressed by how far you're getting into so many different subsystems!

I don't know what else is wrong. I tried working on it some more, the first order works fine, but then that metalurgy station gets clogged, so you have to deconstruct it then rebuild it to do another order.

After butchering some corpses, the meat sits in the butchering station and is unusable. Even putting a stockpile onto it doesn't allow the meat to be useable.

Ok, I think this is all the same bug, when a process is completed it doesn't remove the materials from the input. After "duplicating" the material it will be left with a ghost material that shows no quantity.

My current game also has an issue of a transport ship is stuck in the air above a constructed platform.

So my next game I went to the plains...and my stockpile imediately got swarmed with animals, all 150 packaged food that was stockpiled was eaten by day 2. :x

The catagories Tungsten, Tellurium, Sugar Root, Strontium, Palladium, and Ammorphous Titanium Diboride are all empty. This means trying to make anything that requires those is uncraftable.
Administrator
Site Admin

Postby Administrator » Thu Jul 06, 2017 2:06 am

Excellent, excellent finds once again, man. I've managed to fix a number of bugs this evening:

1. The light structure demolition / atom smasher bug is now fixed.
2. A stockpile / gravity bug I found in the process is fixed.
3. A stockpile creation / light structure bug is fixed.

I've managed to reproduce the steel production bug, and I'm pretty sure I know what's going on. My next order of business immediately after that will be make marsksmen smarter when attacking sedentary creatures. After that fix, they'll get far away, then open fire, making it less likely that they'll immediately be mauled by an adjacent creature.

You're doing amazing work here. May blessings be upon the frog.
Administrator
Site Admin

Postby Administrator » Thu Jul 06, 2017 11:52 pm

Alright man, I cut a new release tonight (version 0.5.50), and your installation of Outer Colony should auto-update itself the next time you launch it.

You can see the release notes here, but I managed to fix a couple of the most egregious bugs. I haven't tackled the trader issues yet, but I think they'll be up next. Huge thanks again!

Return to “Issue Reporting”