Corpse rot and bureaucracy

For sharing bugs and usability issues in Outer Colony.
Asgarus

Corpse rot and bureaucracy

Postby Asgarus » Sun Aug 27, 2017 9:46 pm

I started assigning ministers today, and all of the sudden people began to shoot each other.
Most of the time it was marked as a "mercy kill to save them from a worse fate".

Apparently I have a corpse rot infection. That itself doesn't seem to be too bad of a problem.
What is a problem is that every person I assign to be a minister gets shot out of mercy, but not before, only after I assigned them.

I'm not sure if that is intended or not. Maybe they don't like their ministers to have a disease? Who knows...^^
Administrator
Site Admin

Re: Corpse rot and bureaucracy

Postby Administrator » Mon Aug 28, 2017 3:51 am

Asgarus wrote:I'm not sure if that is intended or not. Maybe they don't like their ministers to have a disease? Who knows...^^

I'm pretty sure it's pure coincidence that people happen to get shot right after being assigned as ministers.

Corpse-rot is actually a horrifying disease, and without treatment, it's usually fatal for all but the most strapping adults. It's a flesh-eating disease that causes great pain, so if you've got really strong social bonds in your colony and a society that minimally fears (or embraces) death, like puritanical Surssians, they'll put a bullet in a loved one's brain before letting them agonize for days on a deathbed.

I'm assuming that no corpse rot cure is available, right? Do you have any skillful doctors? If cure is available and the mercy killings are taking place, then something is definitely wrong.

Can you check the social links between the people who are doing the killing and being killed? And are you playing a Surssian expedition? Kelgonians may also engage in this sort of behavior, depending on the kind of media they've been consuming and creating on the DataNet.

And huge thanks for your patience, man! I appreciate all the testing you've been doing, as every one of these posts is an infinitely valuable exercise of OC's features.
Asgarus

Postby Asgarus » Mon Aug 28, 2017 10:28 am

I'm playing core worldler atm.
There is no cure available (I don't know where to make them).

It definitely does not look like a coincidence.
I was planning to assign all ministers, just randomly, and in the middle of it I heard the shooting beginning.
The first kill was a "mercy kill", but it didn't stop with that.
When the shootings stopped, I went back to assigning ministers and had to find out that there weren't any minsters assigned anymore.
They had all been shot.
I tried to assign more then, but as soon as I would assign someone, he would get shot by whoever was nearby.
It were also different people doing the shootings, not one specific person.

I assign 2 or 3 more ministers, and it was like I trigger their deads. "Assign"...."Shots fired".... "mercy kill".
Doesn't look like coincidence to me^^

You can try it yourself in the new save I sent you the link for.
Administrator
Site Admin

Postby Administrator » Mon Aug 28, 2017 1:19 pm

Asgarus wrote:II assign 2 or 3 more ministers, and it was like I trigger their deads. "Assign"...."Shots fired".... "mercy kill".
Doesn't look like coincidence to me^^

You're almost certainly right, then. If the assignment seems to be directly triggering the mercy killings, then that is probably causing this to happen in some strange way. I wonder what those little nitwits are thinking that's causing this. An initial look at the code doesn't seem to indicate that bureaucrats should be any more susceptible to mercy killings than others, but something is going on here that's unexpected / unintended.

Action weighing calculations for mercy killings are a bit complicated and take into account a huge number of variables, some of which are calculated in a very dynamic sort of way. Sometimes when I give the NPCs a great deal of freedom in decision making and choosing important factors, they use the information at their disposal insanely. They're supposed to have the necessary context to behave *somewhat* correctly, drawing on all the information they have in their data models, but there are times when they don't. This may be one of those cases, but I've never encountered this specific sort of thing before.

Out of curiosity, how large is the population of your colony at the time of this occurrence?
Asgarus

Postby Asgarus » Mon Aug 28, 2017 5:27 pm

It was at about 60 when I last checked.
Then I realized that I didn't have any water or food left,
and thus the first people started dying, but I managed to produce food and water.
Then I assigned the ministers and the mercy killing started.

Return to “Issue Reporting”