Personal Projects

For discussing general game development, including other projects.
Anachronic
Posts: 67
Joined: Tue Nov 08, 2016 4:23 am

Re: Personal Projects

Postby Anachronic » Tue Nov 29, 2016 4:08 am

Mazarus wrote:
Anachronic wrote:How do you find the Chromebook? Do you use it for game development?


Well, I actually got my chromebook on loan about two years ago from my school. We are partnered with Google so thats why the entire school is able to use Chromebooks. Now, The chromebook I have can not run code, nor does it have an IDE you can use. It is essentially just the google chrome web browser. At first it was running really well, but as of turning 2 years old, it's performance has deteriorated. Now this might've been fixed in a newer version.

I do most development on Cloud9, an online IDE which allows me to go to any computer and just log in to continue work.

It is pretty good with Email and Word processing as that's one of the things google offers.


Thanks for the info! Interesting to hear that its performance has deteriorated; I was wondering about that.
User avatar
Mazarus
Posts: 29
Joined: Wed Oct 26, 2016 10:21 am
Location: Indiana

Re: Personal Projects

Postby Mazarus » Tue Nov 29, 2016 9:43 pm

Anachronic wrote:
Mazarus wrote:
Anachronic wrote:How do you find the Chromebook? Do you use it for game development?

Well, I actually got my chromebook on loan about two years ago from my school. We are partnered with Google so thats why the entire school is able to use Chromebooks. Now, The chromebook I have can not run code, nor does it have an IDE you can use. It is essentially just the google chrome web browser. At first it was running really well, but as of turning 2 years old, it's performance has deteriorated. Now this might've been fixed in a newer version.
I do most development on Cloud9, an online IDE which allows me to go to any computer and just log in to continue work.
It is pretty good with Email and Word processing as that's one of the things google offers.

Thanks for the info! Interesting to hear that its performance has deteriorated; I was wondering about that.


Now just wanted to say a little background info, the chromebook had been stored in a bookbag that had a stray shingle on the inside. (Its a very long story)
Now that may be one of the contributing factors but i have heard from others in my school that it has been slowing down.
Questions? Comments? Concerns?
Anachronic
Posts: 67
Joined: Tue Nov 08, 2016 4:23 am

Re: Personal Projects

Postby Anachronic » Fri Dec 02, 2016 3:11 am

Mazarus wrote:Now just wanted to say a little background info, the chromebook had been stored in a bookbag that had a stray shingle on the inside. (Its a very long story)
Now that may be one of the contributing factors but i have heard from others in my school that it has been slowing down.


Nice, that's awesome. Good to know it can take a bit of abuse
User avatar
Mazarus
Posts: 29
Joined: Wed Oct 26, 2016 10:21 am
Location: Indiana

Re: Personal Projects

Postby Mazarus » Thu Mar 16, 2017 5:24 pm

Man, it's been a while since this thread was posted in, so I might as well give it a bit of a bump along with an update to it's progress

New Features
I have been able to implement a pause menu that is accessible all throughout the maps, and also extensively tested so it doesn't somehow send you through a wall after opening it. In the menu there is a Status button, which displays your current ability stats, and also an Items button, which will let you view all of your items. I have also implemented a random encounter system that has on average 2 steps of breathing before the person is attacked again. I may adjust this a bit just to ease up on the difficulty. I have added to the maps class, an enemies list that can have any enemy type added to it and randomly selected, allowing for less repetition in battles.

Planned Features
This is more or less a checklist for myself, to always come back to see what I can do next.
- Interact-able NPC's
- Interact-able Objects
- More Enemies
- A log to track actions taken (For debugging purposes)
- Basic Items
- Weapons
- Armor
- Possible Shop

This is bound to change as I continue working on this, but that's what I'm focusing on right now. I plan on starting on the actual story of the game soon.

Anachronic wrote:And I second that call for a shot of your RPG map when it's ready. Sounds really cool.


And hey Anachronic, If you still would like I'd love to show off the map code to you :D
Questions? Comments? Concerns?
minkaron
Posts: 9
Joined: Sat Mar 11, 2017 1:48 am

Re: Personal Projects

Postby minkaron » Thu Mar 16, 2017 10:21 pm

I just messed around with what you provided in the GitHub link, and it reminds me a bit of NetHack! In terms of the setting and story, how in-depth have you currently planned to go with it? Are you looking to turn this into a 'choose your own adventure' with a focus on saving people in the dream world, or tell a linear story that the player explores?

Overall, it's an interesting concept!
User avatar
Mazarus
Posts: 29
Joined: Wed Oct 26, 2016 10:21 am
Location: Indiana

Re: Personal Projects

Postby Mazarus » Fri Mar 17, 2017 1:57 am

Yeah, I'm leaning more toward a linear story as that is going to be a bit easier on myself.

Well, for the actual story, I haven't gotten much done for it. The basic premise I've decided on is that the character that the player controls, starts to go to this other world in his sleep. I'm probably going to keep it simple for the first time being there. Then one of the times he begins to sleep he sees a person in front of him that seems to be sacred and is trying to run. After the character appears in the dream world he sees a new path has opened to him. If he follows it he will come to an area that symbolizes the fear of the person he/she saw. When he decides to leave, he wakes up again at day feeling refreshed. When he gets to the school he sees the one person from his dream who seems to be very tired. He thinks nothing of it and it continues to repeat the cycle for a few more days. Then one day there are a few students at school talking about a rumor of the student. Suddenly there's announcement about the student's death. I plan to have a few ways for the character to find out about the cause of death, Cardiac Arrest. I also figure out some way to have the player find somewhere that the student wrote about dreams he had been having, nightmares really.

But yeah, then it begins to happen again, and you think you can stop it by fighting in the dream world.

While typing this I had an idea of making the monsters become stronger and stronger if you go into the dream world for a consecutive amount of days.

So yeah, basic premise of the game, hope to have it at least have it halfway done by the end of my senior year.
Questions? Comments? Concerns?
Anachronic
Posts: 67
Joined: Tue Nov 08, 2016 4:23 am

Re: Personal Projects

Postby Anachronic » Sat Mar 18, 2017 11:56 pm

Mazarus wrote:And hey Anachronic, If you still would like I'd love to show off the map code to you :D


Just took a quick look at your repository and Python code. Nice to see some well commented code, so it's easy to read even if you don't know the language too well :) Good luck with your project; looks like a solid start to an old-school rpg

Return to “Game Development”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest