Personal Projects

For discussing general game development, including other projects.
Mazarus

Personal Projects

Postby Mazarus » Fri Nov 18, 2016 6:12 pm

Since this is the Game Development thread, and that also includes other projects beside outer colony, I've decided to share my current project.

I am currently making what you could call a simple 'game engine' completely from Python 3. I currently have intractable maps, and exits leading into other maps.

If anyone has questions about the project, or wants to talk about one of their own projects feel free to post.
Questions? Comments? Concerns?
Administrator
Site Admin

Re: Personal Projects

Postby Administrator » Fri Nov 18, 2016 9:28 pm

I've actually seen some of Mazarus' code for his project, and it's very cool!

What's it like doing game development in Python, man? I actually know very little about the language, but from what I've seen, it looks wonderful.
Mazarus

Postby Mazarus » Sat Nov 19, 2016 3:27 am

Well, It really isn't all that difficult most of the time, I think it's far easier of a language to learn than java, which I've tried with little to no success.

I really don't know how to explain how it is to develop in it, but except to say the freedom of all the things you can do is amazing. Currently with my map code I have it to where it takes a list that has every single position on the map that the player can walk around on and prints it out. This makes a very aesthetically pleasing map and if anyone wants to see it in action I will gladly share it, and discuss with you any questions you have about it.
Administrator
Site Admin

Postby Administrator » Sat Nov 19, 2016 3:34 pm

Python is definitely a syntactically attractive language, in my book, and it's one of those things that I'd really to play with if I had more time. I know there's a ton of great software out in the world at large that's built on Python, and I wonder how widespread its use is in the game development domain. I think it's a bit like Java, which is to say that its use is not widespread. Most games are built on the popular, commercial engines, because of the robust feature sets they provide and their comparative ease of use.

Systems like Unity and UE and Game Maker are much more than just game engines, but entire suites that are designed specifically for the purpose of building games. There's a huge set of features that these provide that go way beyond simply being game engines. They're fairly easy to use, intuitive, relatively easy to learn, but extremely powerful when mastered. For 95% of commercial projects, using one of these tends to make more sense than trying to build one yourself, and since none of these systems are built on Python or Java, few studios wind up working with these languages.

Have you ever tried experimenting with Unity or Game Maker?

Mazarus wrote:Well, It really isn't all that difficult most of the time, I think it's far easier of a language to learn than java, which I've tried with little to no success.

One of the things I've come to believe as time has gone by is that, when it comes to OO languages, most differences are really just skin deep. When any developer is starting out, they think about how to write code in very concrete, syntax-driven terms, and this makes different languages seem like totally different beasts. After a while, though, I think people start to think of how to solve problems in language-independent terms, and the actual implementation becomes something of an afterthought (maybe not exactly an afterthought, because language specifics drive design details, but something of secondary importance).

Regardless, if you had the right Java teacher in the right environment, I'm sure you'd be able to transition from Python to Java.

It took me years and years to reach the point of being able to switch between languages with some ease, though, and I don't know if there's any quick way to reach that point. Most of my undergrad was taught in C, and my first job was mostly rewriting VB6 systems in VB.NET. I remember the first day in my cubicle at that job - I was terrified that I'd be identified as a total fraud, because I had no idea what the heck I was doing. I cracked open this VB6 IDE that was straight out of 1998, looked at this huge mountain of totally foreign code, and just had no idea what to do. But you figure it out, you get help, and you make the jump from whatever you knew before to whatever you need to know now, and every time you make that jump, the ability to devise solutions independent of languages increases.

Haha, when I first started working under CzarQwerty, I had basically never written any meaningful Java before, and I can tell you some funny things about my early attempts to code in the language. Thank God for code reviews. But I'm sure that if you found yourself in that role and had the proper guidance, you'd figure it all out just fine.

Out of curiosity, what specific aspect of Java do you find most confusing right now? Is it just how to set up an IDE and get started? That, right there, can be one of the biggest hurdles to clear when first starting to program with a new language.

I really don't know how to explain how it is to develop in it, but except to say the freedom of all the things you can do is amazing. Currently with my map code I have it to where it takes a list that has every single position on the map that the player can walk around on and prints it out. This makes a very aesthetically pleasing map and if anyone wants to see it in action I will gladly share it, and discuss with you any questions you have about it.

I'd love to see the map system in action, man! What do you have as your end goal for the project? What do you intend to use the maps for in the end? Do you think it'll be an RPG type of game, or an action-adventure affair, or an overhead shooter, or something completely different?
Mazarus

Postby Mazarus » Sun Nov 20, 2016 5:21 am

Administrator wrote:Have you ever tried experimenting with Unity or Game Maker?

Yeah I have checked out Unity, but I just haven't had time to sit down and go through it the way I would like to. Game Maker I have not messed with as the reason I got into making the game in python was to one up one of my friends. I don't actually think I've heard of Game Maker.

Out of curiosity, what specific aspect of Java do you find most confusing right now? Is it just how to set up an IDE and get started? That, right there, can be one of the biggest hurdles to clear when first starting to program with a new language.

The problem with learning Java is, again, me having no time to do anything to learn it. I'm sure if I actually spent a few days looking at some resources I could probably figure out the basics of java and start to become more versed with the language.

What do you have as your end goal for the project? What do you intend to use the maps for in the end? Do you think it'll be an RPG type of game, or an action-adventure affair, or an overhead shooter, or something completely different?

The main goal I have for the game is to have it be fully customize-able. So I can just input some new maps every once and awhile and just play through a quick game. I still need to add in a few features such as interactable features and NPC's (Which I probably will have them as just a static placement on one of the maps). I am planning on making it an RPG, but I could possibly redo the plans after finishing a configuration for RPG and then make it into another style, like a game of intrigue or a puzzler.

Also, do you have any place you prefer for me to send you the ode for the map?
Administrator
Site Admin

Postby Administrator » Sun Nov 20, 2016 9:43 pm

Mazarus wrote:I don't actually think I've heard of Game Maker.

Game Maker is a really cool and surprisingly powerful system. I haven't had spent a ton of time with it myself, but @Dave_Draws, a really great developer on Twitter, uses it to make Skelattack. I wish I had more time to check out Game Maker, but I know from friends that it's solid.

The problem with learning Java is, again, me having no time to do anything to learn it. I'm sure if I actually spent a few days looking at some resources I could probably figure out the basics of java and start to become more versed with the language.

Yeah man, this is the quintessential problem: not enough hours in the day. Maybe the saddest part of the human experience is that we only get 70 years or so, if we're lucky.

The main goal I have for the game is to have it be fully customize-able. So I can just input some new maps every once and awhile and just play through a quick game. I still need to add in a few features such as interactable features and NPC's (Which I probably will have them as just a static placement on one of the maps). I am planning on making it an RPG, but I could possibly redo the plans after finishing a configuration for RPG and then make it into another style, like a game of intrigue or a puzzler.

Also, do you have any place you prefer for me to send you the ode for the map?

That's all solid, man! Do you have a theme figured out for the RPG? Is it medieval era, or is it sci-fi? What's the player's goal in the game?

And you can feel free to post code here, if you'd like to share it with the world, or email it to me. Either way is A-OK!
Mazarus

Postby Mazarus » Mon Nov 21, 2016 2:06 am

Administrator wrote: Do you have a theme figured out for the RPG? Is it medieval era, or is it sci-fi? What's the player's goal in the game?

When I first started out on the whole idea for the game, I decided to look back to other RPG I have enjoyed, such as Persona 4. I liked the whole idea of a second world and I decided to use that. The main setting was to be a modern day setting with the second world being either a medieval setting or more abstract and crazy like the world in persona 4. I then thought back to this one comic I was reading over the shoulder of somebody in elementary school. The whole idea was this man when he went to sleep he awoke in a whole other world completely different than his own. So I also took inspiration from that by having the medium to transport to the second world be sleep.

I have toyed the idea of the goal and I started thinking since the worlds are connected I could have something with nightmares in the dream world begin to affect the real world. Like killing a person in their sleep like in Nightmare on Elm Street fashion. The goal of the game would be to protect the sleeping people from the nightmare. That's all I have in my head right now and I've written down most of it on a depository in github and on an online IDE I use. Both of these I can share through a link.
Administrator
Site Admin

Postby Administrator » Mon Nov 21, 2016 10:23 pm

Mazarus wrote:The goal of the game would be to protect the sleeping people from the nightmare. That's all I have in my head right now and I've written down most of it on a depository in github and on an online IDE I use. Both of these I can share through a link.

That's awesome, man! I dig the Nightmare on Elmstreet movies (although the ones where Freddy is a goofball aren't really as scary), and this is a rather cool idea for a game.

I find it's always helpful to start with a high-level idea of what you want the end result to be, and then to proceed from there. Sometimes this high level idea is called the project's scope, and it's often described in fairly abstract terms in a document that's usually just a few pages long. No matter what I'm building, whether I'm starting Outer Colony or providing a new system to give car salespeople financial data on potential customers, I always try to start out with this. By writing down what you want to do, not only does it help get your own thoughts in order, but it gives you a talking piece to review with project stakeholders to make sure that everyone's on the same page.

Speaking of stakeholders, are you working on this project solo, or are you working with any other people?

And I'd love to see those links. Feel free to email me, or to post them here if you'd like to share with the rest of the forum users!
Torvus

Postby Torvus » Tue Nov 22, 2016 12:20 am

Sounds like an interesting game concept. Best of luck to you.
I am Torvus. My titles at voyager games are thus: Lore Weaver, Creature Consultant, Chief Science Officer, Company Chaplain, and Star Magus among others.
Mazarus

Postby Mazarus » Tue Nov 22, 2016 3:23 am

Administrator wrote:Speaking of stakeholders, are you working on this project solo, or are you working with any other people?

I'm doing this project solo, but I do come back every now and again to confer with some of the student at my school who have take the computer science class. I am also on very good terms with the man who teaches computer science at my school and I constantly bounce questions off of him about whether there was an easier way to do a certain thing. But as of right now I'm the only one working on it. Which now as I type this I have begun to think about all the other things I need to start on such as designing the actual inhabitants of the second world, lore for the world, what the nightmare is and does, and the enemies that you'll have to fight.

I plan to also add the stereotypical skill stats you find in most RPG (i.e. Strength, Dexterity, Intelligence, etc.), but I also want to come up with a twist like adding some other stat that has to do with the 'Dream World'. If anyone has any ideas on it don't be afraid to say anything.

This is the github repository I have set up for it : https://github.com/cryce/how-bout-those-dreams
This is the link to Cloud9 IDE, where I do most of my coding : https://ide.c9.io/cryce/lets_work

If you have any questions don't be afraid to ask.

Return to “Game Development”