What Games Do You Enjoy?

For discussing topics that don't fit elsewhere. Please abstain from discussing controversial topics, like politics and religion.
Administrator
Site Admin

What Games Do You Enjoy?

Postby Administrator » Thu Oct 27, 2016 8:23 pm

Mazarus asked me a great question in an email the other evening, and I think it would make a great topic for a forum conversation:

What kind of games are you playing?

I think that as designers, the games we enjoy help to shape Outer Colony. I'm really interested in the games that potential players enjoy, too, just to get a feel for the motifs that our users enjoy the most.

So what are your favorite games, past and present, and why do you like them so much?
Torvus

Re: What Games Do You Enjoy?

Postby Torvus » Thu Oct 27, 2016 10:24 pm

I will address my favorite genres and then give the games I've enjoyed the most .

Monster Raising games: Monster Rancher 2. I played some of the other games but 2 was my favorite. Unlike Pokemon, your critters could and would die. Each week you spent training, resting, battling, exploring, was one more tick of the clock counting down to their inevitable death. Since each monster had a shelf life you couldn't just train one up, shoot it up with steroids and then have it smash through the whole game for you like I could with my Charizard. That sort of deliberate raising and care made for a fun experience.

MMO: Star Wars Galaxies: All time favorite MMO that I've played. I've played a decent bit of WoW, tried out a few levels of DDO and LotRO, and gave EQ1 and 2 brief tries, but SWG remains a shining example of what I think MMOs should strive for. It did a good job of building community, which should be the highest goal for any mmo, but it did a lot of other things well too such as player crafting, player housing/cities, unique character options, etc etc.

Turn Based Strategy games: Fire Emblem. Overall good series of games. I'm glad they are being exported now, but wish they'd go through the old NES and SNES era games and bring those over here. I'd love Genealogy of the Holy Wars with more modern graphics and some official translations. I'll play some RTS games too, but I enjoy being able to take my time and plan out my maneuvers in advance as opposed to zerging it.

RPGS: Hard to pick a favorite. I've played some of the classics like PS:T and Fallout, and I've played others. I've recently begun the Etrian Odyssey series and have been loving it so far. RPGs are a wide and varied lot, so its hard to say what it is about RPGs that I love the most. I enjoy a good story with meaningful choices, and I enjoy dungeon crawling. Not particular RPG needs both, but a strong emphasis on either story or dungeons is good enough for me.

Action Adventure: Legend of Zelda because as I already said, dungeon crawling is fun. I don't actually play many action adventure games, I just couldn't not have Zelda on a list of games I enjoy.
I am Torvus. My titles at voyager games are thus: Lore Weaver, Creature Consultant, Chief Science Officer, Company Chaplain, and Star Magus among others.
Administrator
Site Admin

Postby Administrator » Fri Oct 28, 2016 2:11 am

Torvus wrote:I will address my favorite genres and then give the games I've enjoyed the most .

Truly, a connoisseur's list, and I like your approach to the question, dividing it by genres.

I'm not sure if my preferences are as varied as Torvus', but I can enumerate a few of my favorites and say why I like them.

If I had to pick a single, #1 game of all time, I'd give the award to classic (pre-CU) Star Wars Galaxies.

That game. That game was just so good. I had never played anything like it before, and I've never played anything like it since. In my book, this is what an MMO should be, for both its exquisitely crafted mechanics and its heavy emphasis on socialization and community. As great a game as WoW is in its own right, I'm almost a bit sad that its success has turned the MMORPG genre into a realm of copycat, themepark experiences. I could write a dozen pages about what made SWG great, but some of my best friends today were met a decade ago because of that game, and, in a circuitous sort of way, Outer Colony definitely wouldn't exist if it weren't for SWG.

I'm not sure if I've ever played a single person RPG or an action-adventure game all the way through. The only turn-based strategy game I've played has been Civ V, and while the title has merit, I've got mixed feelings about it on the whole.

I have always loved RTS games, and while I haven't played any recently, I was a huge fan of the Command & Conquer series as a kid. Original C&C on the N64 was unbelievably good, classic Age of Empires and Rise of Rome on the old MSN Gaming Zone (huge bonus points for anyone who remembers this) were awesome, awesome games.

Some of my most important gaming experiences and the formative ones that had the biggest impact on me were from before all these, though. There were so many great games on Windows 95 and Windows 3.1 that I'll just never forget. The original Duke Nukem platformer, watching my dad play Wolfenstein 3D, Zone 66, and plenty of other greats stand tall in my mind. The old Maxis titles, though, might have been my very favorites. SimCity, SimCity 2000 (especially this one!), SimFarm, and even the goofy ones like SimAnt and SimLife were fun.

I think Will Wright's SimEarth, however, is probably the most important game I've ever played, and I still go back to it all the time via my Windows 3.1 boot on DosBox. I'll have to do a proper writeup on SimEarth at some point, but it really made me think differently about what computers and software could be. This was the first time I saw a bonafide world simulated inside a computer, and it blew my tiny mind.

There are probably more additions I'll make to this thread, but those are my very favorites that I've remembered to list, for now.
Mazarus

Postby Mazarus » Fri Oct 28, 2016 2:17 am

Hey, glad to see this topic did get posted, I was thinking about doing it in a while, but eh I think it's better Sam did it.

Anyways, I myself am quite enthusiastic about RPG games, a few of my favorite titles would have to be Final Fantasy 10 (Because Blitzball wasn't the only thing that made it great), Persona 4, Super Mario RPG (Which is still giving me difficulty in completing), and not to forget Dark Souls because who doesn't like dying 10 times in 5 minutes.

I also love playing more open world games, like the game released a while back, Dying Light, and also the open universe game No Man's Sky.

Can't wait to here more about what everyone else loves to play.
Questions? Comments? Concerns?
Administrator
Site Admin

Postby Administrator » Sat Oct 29, 2016 1:24 am

Mazarus wrote:Dark Souls because who doesn't like dying 10 times in 5 minutes.

This is really interesting to me! I've heard so many people say that they love Dark Souls, but I don't know anything about it, other than that it's extremely hard.

What makes Dark Souls a good game? Dying 10 times in 5 minutes sounds kinda' rough to me!
Mazarus

Postby Mazarus » Sat Oct 29, 2016 4:49 pm

The only real reason I can think is because it is so extremely hard, people will try to master it. The difficulty continued in the rest of the series as well. I think people also liked it for the whole story of it as well.
Questions? Comments? Concerns?
Administrator
Site Admin

Postby Administrator » Tue Nov 01, 2016 3:48 am

Mazarus wrote:The only real reason I can think is because it is so extremely hard, people will try to master it.

It's interesting you mention this point, because I was having this conversation with Torvus the other day, and I think his feelings on the matter were the same. People have grown accustomed to simpler games that are fairly easy to master, and the higher difficulty of Dark Souls is something that seasoned gamers find refreshing. I've never played or seen it before, so I'm not sure myself, but that line of thinking certainly makes sense.

Difficulty is something I consider often from a game design standpoint, too. In testing so far, I sometimes worry that Outer Colony is extremely difficult, as it's hard for me to withstand the waves of barbarian raiders that will be desperately trying to pillage your colony, once it becomes wealthy and prosperous. I'll be very interested after the public release to see what other people think about the game's difficulty level.
Imperator

Postby Imperator » Mon Nov 07, 2016 9:45 pm

I'm not gonna break each into genre's that will make a way to large of a post so I'll just use a list and name my specific genres at the bottom.
SWG Pre-CU
Fallout 1/2
Duke Nukem 3D
Amnesia DD and MFP
System Shock 2
SW Galaxy at War
Early Zelda titles
Early Final Fantasy titles
Red Orchestra Ostfront and Heroes of Stalingrad

So a mix of rpg classics, survival horror, adventure, and some FPS for the uber dorritos sponsered gamer in me.
Anachronic

Postby Anachronic » Tue Nov 08, 2016 4:50 am

Good topic. A list of my formative influences, in somewhat chronological order starting with Dos:

Dos:
Janitor Joe, Captain Comic, Commander Keen
Crystal Caverns, Secret Agent, Lode Runner: The Legend Returns
Castle of Dr. Brain / Island of Dr. Brain
Space Quest, Quest for Glory, Inca I & II
Legends of Kyrandia, Test Drive III, Zone 66
Wing Commander Privateer, X-Wing, Tie Fighter
Heretic / Quake / Descent / Dark Forces
Elder Scrolls Arena / Daggerfall

TG16/PCEngine:
Bonk I-III, Dungeon Explorer, Neutopia I & II / Parasol Stars
Raiden, Virtual Run, Veigues Tactical Gladiator, Bomberman
The Legendary Axe II, Boxy Boy, Keith Courage, Time Warp, Chase HQ, Shockman

Windows:
Beyond Good and Evil, Siberia
Unreal Tournament, Counter-Strike,
Morrowind, Oblivion, Skyrim
Rome Total War, Medieval II Total War
Icewind Dale I & II, Baldur's Gate I & II, Planescape: Torment
Kindgom of Amalur: Reckoning, Super Laser Racer

Mobile:
Pinball Arcade, Zen Pinball, console classics with my 8BitDo SNES30

That's all I can think of for you. I beat most of those but not all of them. Now there are literally thousands of PC games I still want to play but don't have time for. When I retire a long time from now I want to play all the epic strategy games and role-playing games that I've missed out on, but I'll probably just end up playing old dos games.
Administrator
Site Admin

Postby Administrator » Wed Nov 09, 2016 12:05 am

Anachronic wrote:Good topic. A list of my formative influences, in somewhat chronological order starting with Dos:

Oh, yesssssssss. You are a connoisseur, man. An exquisite, refined list of a true expert.

Some of my own thoughts on these

Dos:
Commander Keen

I loved Commander Keen. This one was a ton of fun, although I remember getting stuck at some point and being unable to beat it.

Crystal Caverns

CRYSTAL CAVES, YES!!! I could've gone the whole rest of my life without remember that one, but damn was that a good game! I know a lot of people really love the NES platformers, but I think those glorious, MS-DOS ones were the very best. Loved Crystal Caves.

TG16/PCEngine:
Bonk I-III, Dungeon Explorer, Neutopia I & II / Parasol Stars
Raiden, Virtual Run, Veigues Tactical Gladiator, Bomberman
The Legendary Axe II, Boxy Boy, Keith Courage, Time Warp, Chase HQ, Shockman

I have to admit, I never experienced any PCEngine games, but I would love to try them out someday. If you had to recommend one from this group, which one would you go with?

Counter-Strike

Ahhh, Counter-Strike. When did you start playing, man? I was a little behind the curve, because I was stuck on 56k internet for so long, but I've always been able to go back to CS through the years. I first played seriously during 1.5 (my brother and I might've briefly played 1.4), and it just blew my mind. The only online FPS we'd played before that was TFC, which, while excellent, is a very different animal from CS. I remember the first time I killed someone by shooting through a wall, and being stunned by the awesomeness.

That's all I can think of for you. I beat most of those but not all of them. Now there are literally thousands of PC games I still want to play but don't have time for. When I retire a long time from now I want to play all the epic strategy games and role-playing games that I've missed out on, but I'll probably just end up playing old dos games.

I have a feeling that if I ever make it to old age, I'll spend some portion of my remaining time enjoying all the awesome games I never had time for along the way. Although, like you, I'll probably spend a bunch of my time on those comfy old DOS games that I know and love.

Return to “General Discussion”