What Games Do You Enjoy?

For discussing topics that don't fit elsewhere. Please abstain from discussing controversial topics, like politics and religion.
Anachronic

Re: What Games Do You Enjoy?

Postby Anachronic » Wed Nov 09, 2016 4:57 am

Crystal Caves not caverns; thanks for the correction :lol: Looking back I could add a few more to that list (Dark Ages, Major Stryker, Blake Stone, Raptor, Hocus Pocus, Wacky Wheels, the list goes on an on). Yikes, I sure was a shareware junkie. I even remember saving up for months to send away for a copy of Sango Fighter (my first fighting game).

Played Counter-Strike a bit while living with a friend in this shady basement apartment. We had two desks set up side-by-side and he got me into it a bit, but he was always a bit better than me. Got distracted for a long-while with Morrowind which pretty-much ended my days playing Counter-Strike, and now I'm not so into the military shooters but it certainly helped hone my FPS skills... We also had a Dreamcast in those days, which led to me getting a GameCube, which led to my kind-of intense addiction to Super Monkey Ball.

If you could only play one TG16 game I'd recommend Dungeon Explorer. It's like Gauntlet by way better. Neutopia I and II are rad if you're a Zelda fan. Victory Run is my nemesis though. I've probably tried hundreds of times but can't get more than like halflway through; I swear it's impossible.
Administrator
Site Admin

Postby Administrator » Wed Nov 09, 2016 11:56 pm

Anachronic wrote:Yikes, I sure was a shareware junkie. I even remember saving up for months to send away for a copy of Sango Fighter (my first fighting game).

Man, wasn't shareware great? I actually miss the days of getting / buying physical PC games in an actual store at the mall. Did you guys have Babbage's in Canada? There was one in the Plymouth Meeting Mall right outside Philadelphia, and one of the highlights of my tiny life was getting to walk around the place and check out games.

Do you remember how incredible game boxes were?! I remember the first time I picked up SimCity 2000 and saw this:

My tiny brain couldn't handle it - the awesomeness was too much. An entire summer of my youth was spent playing this game, and if I could go back and do it again, I wouldn't change a moment of it.

Remember when games used to come with awesome stuff, like a kickass manual that was, itself, amazing?

I miss that stuff. I know that the internet has made everything far more convenient, but some of the wonder of browsing a rack of physical games is lost in the streamlined experience of Steam.

We also had a Dreamcast in those days, which led to me getting a GameCube, which led to my kind-of intense addiction to Super Monkey Ball.

What were the Dreamcast and GameCube like? I had pretty much given up on consoles after the N64, but I'd like to go back and see some of what I missed with these, if I can find the time.

If you could only play one TG16 game I'd recommend Dungeon Explorer. It's like Gauntlet by way better. Neutopia I and II are rad if you're a Zelda fan. Victory Run is my nemesis though. I've probably tried hundreds of times but can't get more than like halflway through; I swear it's impossible.

These have been added to my list of games to play. Believe it or not, I've never played a Zelda game the whole way through. I played a bit of Ocarina of Time, which I had for the N64, but I remember getting stuck somewhere and not being able to figure out how to proceed.
Anachronic

Postby Anachronic » Tue Nov 15, 2016 4:07 am

That's rad you still have that game! All mine from that period have been lost to the cruel march of time... I think we got all our games at Radioshack and then later at a place called Compusmart. I wish I'd been more into the Sim games and some other strategy stuff. I did play a bit of SimCity 2000 on a friend's computer. He also had Aces of the Pacific which was cool... Got me into A-10 Tank Killer for a bit

Played the HOMM series for some strategy-lite... also Dark Legions was/is amazing, I might try and sorta remake that with the Oryx sprites sometime. Like Archon but better.

I remember being so excited to get Ascendancy then found out about the review-rigging scandal and the game was kinda meh. Played quite a bit of Inferno, which I think got like a 14% rating or something in PC Gamer but let you fly from space down to the surface of planets which was amazing.

Shareware was so much fun. I wanted to make my game Rogue Story a shareware thing inspired by an old game called Excelsior: Phase One Lysandia that was kinda like Ultima, but having trouble reviving that Unity project. Everything just breaks with the new versions cause it's so old and outdated now, and I think I'd need to pretty much remake the whole GUI from scratch again :/

Dreamcast and GameCube were lots of fun! Lots of good games on both but not that formative for me. Played a lot of Dave Mirra 2 cause and Kelly Slater's Pro Surfer... Nintendo stuff is awesome. We still use a Wii as our entertainment center for Netflix and such
Anachronic

Postby Anachronic » Tue Nov 15, 2016 4:34 am

Some good recommendations for RPGs in this thread, thanks peoples! I'll add those to my to-play list :)
Administrator
Site Admin

Postby Administrator » Wed Nov 16, 2016 1:26 am

Anachronic wrote:Played the HOMM series for some strategy-lite... also Dark Legions was/is amazing, I might try and sorta remake that with the Oryx sprites sometime. Like Archon but better.

Man, I've been loving some of the sprites that you've been posting on Twitter of late. I know we've got some serious RPG fans on this board, and they'd be as interested as I am in knowing about what you're working on. Is there an Anachronic Designs RPG in the works?

I've actually never really played an RPG before, but I need a good one to get started with. If you do build one, you've got the project's first fan, right here!

Played a lot of Dave Mirra 2 cause and Kelly Slater's Pro Surfer...

Oh my God, this is reminding me of Tony Hawk's Pro Skater 2!! My brother and I rented it from Blockbuster for a week during one particularly awesome summer break, and that game was as cool as sin. I'm googling Kelly Slater's Pro Surfer, and this has been added to my list of games to play before death.
CzarQwerty

Postby CzarQwerty » Wed Nov 16, 2016 4:42 pm

I've enjoyed reading through here so much that I'll post my list as well... It's funny that my list ends when some of yours begins.

Civ 1
Railroad Tycoon
Scorched Earth
Sim City/Sim Farm/Sim Ant
Colonization
Space Quest/Kings Quest

MUDs (you younger folk might have to look this one up)

FF7
Balders Gate/Icewind Dale
Rollercoaster Tycoon
Warcraft 1,2,3
Starcraft 1

Zelda - a link to the past
whatever gameboy game I could get my hands on

And now you can probably tell my age :)
Torvus

Postby Torvus » Wed Nov 16, 2016 9:25 pm

CzarQwerty wrote:I've enjoyed reading through here so much that I'll post my list as well... It's funny that my list ends when some of yours begins.

Civ 1
Railroad Tycoon
Scorched Earth
Sim City/Sim Farm/Sim Ant
Colonization
Space Quest/Kings Quest

MUDs (you younger folk might have to look this one up)

FF7
Balders Gate/Icewind Dale
Rollercoaster Tycoon
Warcraft 1,2,3
Starcraft 1

Zelda - a link to the past
whatever gameboy game I could get my hands on

And now you can probably tell my age :)

If you were playing MUDs, you must be pretty old.
I am Torvus. My titles at voyager games are thus: Lore Weaver, Creature Consultant, Chief Science Officer, Company Chaplain, and Star Magus among others.
Anachronic

Postby Anachronic » Wed Nov 16, 2016 9:33 pm

CzarQwerty wrote:Scorched Earth

Loved that game! Remember playing hot-seat in a friend's kitchen.
CzarQwerty

Postby CzarQwerty » Thu Nov 17, 2016 1:54 pm

Torvus wrote:
If you were playing MUDs, you must be pretty old.

Lol, Thanks Torvus!
CzarQwerty

Postby CzarQwerty » Thu Nov 17, 2016 1:55 pm

Anachronic wrote:
CzarQwerty wrote:Scorched Earth

Loved that game! Remember playing hot-seat in a friend's kitchen.

Same here, 5 of us playing hot seat, destroying each other, was a lot of fun

Return to “General Discussion”