What Games Do You Enjoy?

For discussing topics that don't fit elsewhere. Please abstain from discussing controversial topics, like politics and religion.
Administrator
Site Admin

Re: What Games Do You Enjoy?

Postby Administrator » Thu Nov 17, 2016 11:44 pm

CzarQwerty wrote:I've enjoyed reading through here so much that I'll post my list as well... It's funny that my list ends when some of yours begins.

Haha, it's funny, man, but that's the difference that just a few years in age makes! When talking with guys who are only a few years younger than me, it's later generations of PC games and consoles that provided the formative experience. So, too, does your set lie chronologically just before mine!

Civ 1

I'm so intrigued by the old, old Civ games. I somehow never heard of the Civ series until Imperator introduced me to Civ 5 in 2012, and the game is certainly pretty neat. Have you ever played the 5th one? How do the older Civ games compare to it? I've actually heard the older ones had a great deal more complexity and that 5 was the more streamlined experience with lessened depth and a shallower learning curve.

Scorched Earth
Same here, 5 of us playing hot seat, destroying each other, was a lot of fun

Oh man, YES! My dad, my brother, and I would do the same exact thing! My favorite weapon in the game:

youtu.be/UaIuu7DuI0s
And if you'd like to time travel and see another of my favorites (although the video is a bit strange / language warning) - weapon employed at about the 40 second mark:

youtu.be/UkTKTYvMOd0

It's just such a good game. If the members of this board all ever hang out in real life, I will break out DOSBox, and we will have to tear this up.

Sim City/Sim Farm/Sim Ant

I still have my copies of these, too. Making the human and dog abandon the house in Sim Ant was so satisfying, and it's one of the first strategy games I can think of that let you play an "adventure mode" of sorts by controlling an individual bug. It's another underrated classic. Sim Farm was great, too, and I've tried to recreate some of its core mechanics with Outer Colony's plant, weather, and farming systems.

Colonization
Space Quest/Kings Quest

FF7
Balders Gate/Icewind Dale
Rollercoaster Tycoon
Warcraft 1,2,3
Starcraft 1

I've got to google the rest of these, but I trust your tastes to be exquisite. Space Quest and Kings Quest both look pretty awesome! I did really love Starcraft, but I played most of it on the N64, which definitely makes my experience with it a bit wacky. The split-screen multiplayer in an RTS is a really hilarious, interesting, and fun dynamic!

MUDs (you younger folk might have to look this one up)

Ah, now these were, indeed, before my days. Do you ever have the desire to go back and play MUDs? There's something to be said for games that make you use your imagination a bit, and I think that's almost a part of the allure of the graphically simpler ones. I love the visuals of SimEarth, but whenever I'm playing it, I always find myself imagining and constructing the world in vivid detail in my mind.

If you were playing MUDs, you must be pretty old.

Hahaha, and don't mind Torvus, he's just jealous of your wealth of experience.
Torvus

Postby Torvus » Fri Nov 18, 2016 4:41 am

Administrator wrote:
If you were playing MUDs, you must be pretty old.

Hahaha, and don't mind Torvus, he's just jealous of your wealth of experience.

A little bit.
I am Torvus. My titles at voyager games are thus: Lore Weaver, Creature Consultant, Chief Science Officer, Company Chaplain, and Star Magus among others.
CzarQwerty

Postby CzarQwerty » Fri Nov 18, 2016 2:56 pm

Ah, the death head. was so much fun to take out a large chunk of the screen with it.

I have not tried any of the later Civs. I played Civ 3 a bit but didn't enjoy it as much. Sometimes, it's hard to let go of the classics.
I enjoyed Civ 1 because there were many different ways to win, every game was different. I found it very complex and entertaining, but not impossible.
I really don't know what the new civ games are like. Maybe I should try them.

After Civ 1, I filled my turn-based strategy gaming need with Heroes of Might and Magic 3. Forgot to list that game.
Administrator
Site Admin

Postby Administrator » Fri Nov 18, 2016 10:07 pm

Torvus wrote:A little bit.

That's OK, I'm honestly kinda' jealous, too. There are eras of technology that I wish I could've been a part of, professionally. If I'd been born 15 or 20 years earlier and could've been a part of the computing / internet boom of the 90s, I think I would have had infinite fun then.

I really don't know what the new civ games are like. Maybe I should try them.

I try my best not to say anything bad about other games, but Firaxis left me pretty frustrated with Civ V. Torvus, Imperator, and I played a whole bunch of multiplayer games from 2012 through 2014, but then something happened that basically prevented us from playing further.

Firaxis released its last Civ V "update", and it seems to have broken multiplayer saves. And I don't mean like, it broke one save, or something about one of our computers made it break saves when it was a host. I mean that every game we tried to play, no matter who hosted, and no matter what we did, would get its save file corrupted.

Now, I wouldn't accuse Firaxis of doing this on purpose, but the timing was strangely coincidental with the release of the next Civ game, Beyond Earth.

I always want to give developers the benefit of the doubt, but breaking multiplayer saves is such a big deal for how we play the game. So we waited. And waited. And waited some more. And no release has ever come to fix this bug. Other people have complained about the problem all over the Steam / Firaxis forums, but it seems like they abandoned development and won't fix the problem. It seems like Firaxis' answer is, "Now that we've released a new $60 game, we're done maintaining the old one. Buy that if you want to keep playing." I see indie developers get absolutely fried for failing to properly support a release, and I'm honestly not sure why Firaxis, a company with far more resources, selling titles at AAA prices, would get a pass.

I can't say what the later games (Beyond Earth and the new Civ) are like, because I'm not buying anything from Firaxis until they fix Civ V. Imperator and Torvus, do you guys have the new Civ game? I know that Dave and Imperator got Beyond Earth, and I don't want to speak on their behalf, but I think they were unimpressed with it.
Torvus

Postby Torvus » Fri Nov 18, 2016 11:42 pm

Administrator wrote:Imperator and Torvus, do you guys have the new Civ game? I know that Dave and Imperator got Beyond Earth, and I don't want to speak on their behalf, but I think they were unimpressed with it.

I haven't bought any of them since 5. 6 looks like it might have some nice new features, but I dunno.
I am Torvus. My titles at voyager games are thus: Lore Weaver, Creature Consultant, Chief Science Officer, Company Chaplain, and Star Magus among others.
CzarQwerty

Postby CzarQwerty » Sat Nov 19, 2016 3:40 am

haha, I didn't even know about Beyond Earth or 6. sheesh.
Administrator
Site Admin

Postby Administrator » Sun Nov 20, 2016 8:13 pm

CzarQwerty wrote:haha, I didn't even know about Beyond Earth or 6. sheesh.

I know, man, it's tough keeping up with all the current games. Even as someone working in the field, I can't even begin to keep current with AAA games anymore.

Are there any games on the horizon that you guys are really looking forward to? I was going to write a big reply here containing all sorts of thoughts on the industry and my thoughts on modern AAA games in general, but I wanted to gather my thoughts a bit before writing anything too scathing. I can't think of any major titles right now that I'm really excited for, though, and I can't think of any that I've bought since Civ V.

I think we all enjoy our fair share of classics, but how about more modern options? What's the last really good game you guys have played?
Torvus

Postby Torvus » Sun Nov 20, 2016 8:58 pm

Administrator wrote:Are there any games on the horizon that you guys are really looking forward to? I was going to write a big reply here containing all sorts of thoughts on the industry and my thoughts on modern AAA games in general, but I wanted to gather my thoughts a bit before writing anything too scathing. I can't think of any major titles right now that I'm really excited for, though, and I can't think of any that I've bought since Civ V.

Etrian Odyssey V. It's been released in Japan but still no NA release date. I'm sure we'll get it eventually though. Torment: Tides of Numenera might be good.

Administrator wrote:I think we all enjoy our fair share of classics, but how about more modern options? What's the last really good game you guys have played?

I've enjoyed the last couple of fire emblem games well enough, but don't know if I like the direction they are going with them. I also enjoyed Super Smash Bros Wii U and Rayman Legends.
Anachronic

Postby Anachronic » Mon Nov 21, 2016 1:53 am

Are there any games on the horizon that you guys are really looking forward to?

It's been out for awhile but I want to play Total War: Warhammer so bad. Looks like a modern Total Annihilation: Kingdoms.
Administrator
Site Admin

Postby Administrator » Mon Nov 21, 2016 9:44 pm

Anachronic wrote:It's been out for awhile but I want to play Total War: Warhammer so bad. Looks like a modern Total Annihilation: Kingdoms.

I've talked with Torvus and Imperator many a time about how fascinating I find the Warhammer universe. It seems like this bizarre mixture of medieval monsters and demented sci fi. I've never played a Warhammer game, but at some point, I'd like to check one out.

Actually, as I'm googling this now, I might have some things mixed up. Are Warhammer and Warhammer 40k related? I know I'm talking about Warhammer 40k above, but I'm no longer entirely sure if the two universes / game lines have anything to do with each other.

I've enjoyed the last couple of fire emblem games well enough, but don't know if I like the direction they are going with them.

I've never played a Fire Emblem game, but from what you've described to me, they're already about a messed up as games can possibly be. What direction could they possible take that's less agreeable?!

I also enjoyed Super Smash Bros Wii U and Rayman Legends.

If you're going to play a Nintendo game, it's GOT to be Pikmin. Although I've only briefly watched my brother play, it's one of the funniest (and coolest) games I've ever seen.

Return to “General Discussion”