Your PC's Specifications / Hardware

For discussing topics that don't fit elsewhere. Please abstain from discussing controversial topics, like politics and religion.
Administrator
Site Admin

Re: Your PC's Specifications / Hardware

Postby Administrator » Wed Dec 07, 2016 10:03 pm

Anachronic wrote:Good luck cause a new PC build is always killer eh

Killer fun!! I'm dead serious when I say that speccing and building a new PC is one of my very favorite activities. I've loved it since middle school, and getting all the new parts in the mail and putting them together feels just as awesome today as it did back then!
Anachronic

Postby Anachronic » Fri Dec 09, 2016 4:29 am

Administrator wrote:
Anachronic wrote:Good luck cause a new PC build is always killer eh

Killer fun!! I'm dead serious when I say that speccing and building a new PC is one of my very favorite activities. I've loved it since middle school, and getting all the new parts in the mail and putting them together feels just as awesome today as it did back then!

That's awesome; such a good feeling when you put it all together, flick the switch and... it works!!!
Imperator

Postby Imperator » Thu Jan 05, 2017 2:40 am

A little late to the discussion, but I am probably planning on building a new machine somewhere in the Spring this year, but for now my build is as such

CPU: AMD FX 8350
GPU: Geforce GTX 970
Mem: DDR3 1600 16GB RAM(on my next rig, I wanna get into the DDR4's but only intel motherboards are spec'd to hold these and, I -- just am conflicted about jumping to intel for price and other reasons)
ASUS motherboard, forget exact specifications( the damn box is laying around here somewhere, but I don't feel encouraged to dig for it)
SSD booting windows 7, with a TB HDD to hold a lot of misc. garbage.
:mrgreen:

Not super fancy, or current. However, she gets the job done and I love the ol' gal.
Mitch
Original Champion

Postby Mitch » Thu Jan 05, 2017 3:17 pm

I guess I will join in too

CPU: Intel core i5-4690 (Haswell| Quad core| 3.9 GHZ)
GPU: Geforce GTX 970 4Gb (well 3.5 hehe)
RAM: 16GB DDR3 @ 1600Mhz
Storage: 120GB SSD for windows , 3tb and 1tb HDD for storage
mobo: MSI z97 PC Mate
Sound: onboard

I built this summer 2014 seems to still be going strong at the moment. The only change I would make at the moment is to get another SSD so I could install some programs on it windows pretty much eats the 120GB SSD.
Administrator
Site Admin

Postby Administrator » Fri Jan 06, 2017 2:04 am

Mitch wrote:I guess I will join in too

CPU: Intel core i5-4690 (Haswell| Quad core| 3.9 GHZ)
GPU: Geforce GTX 970 4Gb (well 3.5 hehe)
RAM: 16GB DDR3 @ 1600Mhz
Storage: 120GB SSD for windows , 3tb and 1tb HDD for storage
mobo: MSI z97 PC Mate
Sound: onboard

I built this summer 2014 seems to still be going strong at the moment. The only change I would make at the moment is to get another SSD so I could install some programs on it windows pretty much eats the 120GB SSD.

Oh man, this is quite a righteous build!! I smile every time I see a user with 16GB of RAM, a 4+ core processor, and a beastly video card. You should be in great shape to rock large worlds and colonies with large populations. These are exactly the kinds of systems that Outer Colony is made for, and with its multi-threaded engine, I try to squeeze every last horse power out of systems like this to run the computationally vast simulation at OC's core.

A little late to the discussion, but I am probably planning on building a new machine somewhere in the Spring this year, but for now my build is as such

CPU: AMD FX 8350
GPU: Geforce GTX 970
Mem: DDR3 1600 16GB RAM(on my next rig, I wanna get into the DDR4's but only intel motherboards are spec'd to hold these and, I -- just am conflicted about jumping to intel for price and other reasons)
ASUS motherboard, forget exact specifications( the damn box is laying around here somewhere, but I don't feel encouraged to dig for it)
SSD booting windows 7, with a TB HDD to hold a lot of misc. garbage.
:mrgreen:

Not super fancy, or current. However, she gets the job done and I love the ol' gal.

Imperator, this, too, is a righteous build! I remember speccing this guy out with you and loving the Bulldozer CPU. How many years ago was that, dude? 3 years ago? Or was it 4? Imperator and I have played many, many games of Civ V and Killing Floor on that hardware, and countless hours of Ventrilo meetings discussing Outer Colony were supported by that machine. When you retire this rig, she needs to become a Voyager Games relic, preserved for all time as an ode to its reliability and role in making OC.

This should beast Outer Colony, too, with the 8 solid cores and all that RAM. Do you find it's run the development builds well so far, man?
RetroPrincess

Postby RetroPrincess » Fri Jan 06, 2017 4:18 pm

ZooStorm PC
ASUSTeK Motherboard
Windows 7 Home Premium Service Pack 1
AMD A10-7860K Radeon R7, 12 Compute Cores 4C+8G 3.60GHz
16GB Installed RAM 14.9GB Useable
64bit Operating System

Don't ask me what 99% of that means but I hope its helpful!
Administrator
Site Admin

Postby Administrator » Fri Jan 06, 2017 11:12 pm

RetroPrincess wrote:ZooStorm PC
ASUSTeK Motherboard
Windows 7 Home Premium Service Pack 1
AMD A10-7860K Radeon R7, 12 Compute Cores 4C+8G 3.60GHz
16GB Installed RAM 14.9GB Useable
64bit Operating System

Oh man, that's quite a nice build. Does it run OC well? This should run Outer Colony like a beast!
RetroPrincess

Postby RetroPrincess » Fri Jan 13, 2017 10:09 pm

It certainly does! Hot knife through butter!
Streaming last week was a revelation, dont know how I ever did it on the Mac!
Administrator
Site Admin

Postby Administrator » Fri Jan 13, 2017 11:27 pm

RetroPrincess wrote:It certainly does! Hot knife through butter!
Streaming last week was a revelation, dont know how I ever did it on the Mac!

Oh yeah, last week's stream of Lethe was tremendous. Doesn't it feel great to get a new, beastly PC? There's something I just love about new hardware. Acquiring a new rig will always be one of my favorite things in the world.

Poor Andrew, I think his machine can't handle Outer Colony. It's probably just a bit too low on the CPU spectrum to pull through, but I'm not sure if there's much more I can practically do on the optimization end for now.
Mazarus

Postby Mazarus » Sat Jan 14, 2017 2:27 am

Well, this christmas I had got my hands on a slightly used MacBook Pro, which is what I'm going to play outer colony on mostly, unless I decide to look around to find something a bit better, the specs on it are as follows.

CPU : 2.5 GHz Intel Core i5
GPU : Intel HD Graphics 4000 1536 MB
Memory : 4GB 1600 MHz DDR3
Hard Drive: 500GB 5400-rpm

Don't much else about it, but I'm already thinking about seeing if I can upgrade anything on it with the funds I have.
Questions? Comments? Concerns?

Return to “General Discussion”