Thread of Randomness

For discussing topics that don't fit elsewhere. Please abstain from discussing controversial topics, like politics and religion.
Administrator
Site Admin

Thread of Randomness

Postby Administrator » Thu Mar 02, 2017 11:05 pm

Welcome to the thread of randomness!

Several team members and I have enjoyed threads like this one on past forums, and it just serves as a place to talk, get to know one another, and have fun, off-topic sorts of discussions.

The only rule for the thread is to avoid controversial topics. Have a blast!

I'll start by tagging another user and asking a question, but anybody can feel free to reply and jump into the conversation at any time.

@Torvus -
What's your favorite indie game of all time, man?
Torvus

Re: Thread of Randomness

Postby Torvus » Thu Mar 02, 2017 11:29 pm

I've always loved the various incarnations of the ToR. May this one be as successful as it's predecessors.

Administrator wrote:@Torvus -
What's your favorite indie game of all time, man?

Bit of a tough call there. I can narrow it down to two. They are also two of the games that I'm the worst at.

Dwarf Fortress comes to mind of course. I haven't been able to make much time to play it for a while now, but I still have a shot cut to it on my desktop, waiting for the day when I can once again dedicate the time necessary to build a functioning fortress and maybe finally succeed in breeding a squad of trained warbears. The elves never seem to want to trade me bears of both genders.

The other is Nethack and Im pretty bad. Not once have I obtained the amulet of Yendor, let alone offered it to my patron diety. I do love seeing how far I can get before I die though and I will never be unamused at the code of honor that my knight is held to that calls him out for various misdeeds but has no compunction about training his pet pony to rob convenience stores or whipping out a scroll of genocide. I've got this one on my phone so I play it a lot more regularly than DF.

Honorable mentions:
Rogue Legacy
Recettear
Faster than Light
Battle for Wesnoth
Banner Saga
I am Torvus. My titles at voyager games are thus: Lore Weaver, Creature Consultant, Chief Science Officer, Company Chaplain, and Star Magus among others.
Administrator
Site Admin

Postby Administrator » Sun Mar 05, 2017 4:21 pm

You know, I'm truly embarrassed to admit this, but I've never played NetHack. I have only the most cursory awareness of what it is, but looking on its Wikipedia page, this is perhaps the thing that stands out to me the most:

Initial release July 1987 (1.3d)[1]
Stable release
3.6.0 / 7 December 2015; 14 months ago

Now THAT - that right there - is the hallmark of success. When I close my eyes and image Outer Colony being successful, I see version 4.1.06 being released on October 12th, 2031. That's the amazing thing about a project like NetHack (and, hopefully, Outer Colony) - because of the way it's built, it's never "done". There's always more that could be implemented, more features that could be added - just more improvement and expansion to be had.

I sincerely hope that we're still adding to Outer Colony in 15 years.

For Torvus or Imperator or anyone, what's the game that you've played for the longest?
CubeTwo

Postby CubeTwo » Mon Mar 06, 2017 10:54 am

Administrator wrote:What's your favorite indie game of all time, man?

hmm, so far i have 2 games what i like bigger that others : Faster than Light and Stardew Valley

Administrator wrote:For Torvus or Imperator or anyone, what's the game that you've played for the longest?

longest game what i play so far : World of Warcraft
Mazarus

Postby Mazarus » Mon Mar 06, 2017 12:32 pm

Administrator wrote:For Torvus or Imperator or anyone, what's the game that you've played for the longest?

The game I've played the longest would have to be Fable from the Xbox. I don't know why, but I just can't get enough of playing it. It might have something to do with all the secrets that are nigh impossible to figure out, the morality feature in the game, and just how it's just my favorite RPG of all time.
Questions? Comments? Concerns?
Torvus

Postby Torvus » Mon Mar 06, 2017 6:23 pm

Administrator wrote:You know, I'm truly embarrassed to admit this, but I've never played NetHack

You can get is as a free phone app game. I know you're busy, but its great for those times when you haven't much else to do. Like waiting for slow moving bureaucracy.

By hours played, probably in the same boat as CubeTwo: WoW. I played it through a good chunk of high school and off and on since.

Unless we wanted to consider all the Super Smash Bros games to be one in the same, in which case SSB probably wins out. There have also been some PS1/SNES/N64 games I've come back to over the years so even if I didn't play them as much, theres been a longer period of time between first play session and last.

Mazarus wrote:The game I've played the longest would have to be Fable from the Xbox. I don't know why, but I just can't get enough of playing it. It might have something to do with all the secrets that are nigh impossible to figure out, the morality feature in the game, and just how it's just my favorite RPG of all time.

I've beaten 2 and 3, though not to 100% completion with all the gargoyles and whatnot. I picked up the Fable anniversary edition on a steam sale, but I haven't played enough to get past the kid stage yet. I need to play it at some point.
I am Torvus. My titles at voyager games are thus: Lore Weaver, Creature Consultant, Chief Science Officer, Company Chaplain, and Star Magus among others.
Administrator
Site Admin

Postby Administrator » Tue Mar 07, 2017 9:47 pm

CubeTwo wrote:hmm, so far i have 2 games what i like bigger that others : Faster than Light and Stardew Valley

Some quality games here, man! I can see that you are a connoisseur! I still have not yet played FTL, but I've watched streams of Stardew Valley, and it's so nice! I love the art style and the relaxing kind of pace of the gameplay. If I ever get time, it's something I'd love to check out.

By hours played, probably in the same boat as CubeTwo: WoW. I played it through a good chunk of high school and off and on since.

longest game what i play so far : World of Warcraft

Torvus and I have played quite a bit of WoW together, during the WotLK era. We were probably playing 4 days a week back then, for a couple hours in the evenings. If I added up all the hours I'd played, this is probably my 2nd most, out of all games.

As an aside: Torvus is terrible to play WoW with, because all he did for an entire year was to troll me. In fact, Torvus is terrible to play any game with, because all he does is troll me. Be wary of him. If he ever sends you a PM saying, "Hey man! Let's play some Outer Colony together!" - don't agree to it. He'll just make the experience miserable for you. He derives a sadistic kind of amusement from subverting your progress and irritating you. This isn't even a joke. I'm entirely serious.

I think my #1 game, in terms of both the number of years I've continuously played and total hours, is probably Counter-Strike. I started playing when I was 16, and I still play it to this day, especially if my brother comes to visit me for a weekend. We can just always go back to this for a few rounds. I'd wager that if you added up the total hours played over the course of 13 years, it's probably a spectacular total, even though it might come out to a few minutes per day, on average.

The game I've played the longest would have to be Fable from the Xbox.

I've never played Fable before, but the two friends of mine who got it back in high school indicated fairly extreme disappointment. Maybe not because the game itself was bad, but more that it had under-delivered on its promises to such a great extent. I remember another complaint being that it was really short - like, fairly beatable in a weekend. I have no idea if any of this is true, as I've never played Fable, or even seen it played. But I'm a little surprised by your post, since this is probably the most positive endorsement of the game I've ever seen.

Have you ever played Counter-Strike, CubeTwo? It seems like it's always been pretty popular in Russia, at least to me. I remember bumping into plenty of Russians, even back in the 1.5 days.

And for those of you guys who have played WoW, what class was your favorite?
And which expansion-era did you think was the best?
Torvus

Postby Torvus » Tue Mar 07, 2017 11:55 pm

Administrator wrote:As an aside: Torvus is terrible to play WoW with, because all he did for an entire year was to troll me. In fact, Torvus is terrible to play any game with, because all he does is troll me. Be wary of him. If he ever sends you a PM saying, "Hey man! Let's play some Outer Colony together!" - don't agree to it. He'll just make the experience miserable for you. He derives a sadistic kind of amusement from subverting your progress and irritating you. This isn't even a joke. I'm entirely serious.

Fun fact: it is possible to play a game so much better than Sam that he will accuse you of trolling in order to save face. He's never been able to explain how I trolled him, only that he feels inadequate compared to me. The man has accused me of trolling him in real life using telepathic mind control. I think he's mostly just upset that he blew a fortune in gold on worthless gems while I had the foresight to invest in luxury vanity pets that have only increased in value over the years. Envy is not an attractive quality.

When Sam tells you not to play OC with me, it is because he knows for a fact that I and my allies will crush him. He loses sleep over the fear he has that I can literally beat him at his own game. This is not an unfounded fear as this is a strategy game and I am a strategic and tactical genius. Go ahead and ask Sam about the time I beat him in Civ V with a DIPLOMATIC VICTORY! For those of you unfamiliar with Civ V, a diplomatic victory requires the UN to elect you leader of the world. This can be tedious enough when making friendships and diplomatic arrangements with NPCs, but should be impossible when the only members of the UN are people, for obvious reasons, but Sam is incapable of standing up to my psychological warfare

Administrator wrote:And for those of you guys who have played WoW, what class was your favorite?
And which expansion-era did you think was the best?

Favorite class: Druid. Especially feral spec before Blizzard decided that being able to pick between an ok warrior and an ok rogue was too overwhelming and made separate bear and cat specs.

After that it would be Deathknight and Shaman.

Best era was either vanilla or WotLK. Vanilla had a lot of things going for it.
Variety: Classes felt more different, factions had exclusive classes, clerics had different spells to reflect different racial deities and there were actual talent trees so you could actually make a character best suited to you play-style. That has disapeared over the expansions, though I am aware that there have been some unique gameplay additions for classes to differentiate them from one another

No handholding: there were no map icons to tell you where to go and what to do. You read your quest log and figured it out. Sometimes that meant you had to search for landmarks or what have you. I understand a lot of the lazy types were using addons to fulfill this purpose anyway, but I've never cared for it.

World PvP: Even when battlegrounds came out, they did at least require you to end up in the area of the battleground. PvP didn't consist of sitting in Stormwind/Orgrimar and just bouncing in and out of battlegrounds. There was a lot of it going on outside of these scrimmages of enforced fairness. Sometimes it was awful and you'd get outnumbered or attacked by a guy way outside your level range, but it was always exciting and sometimes memorable. With PvP as it is now (or at least when I left it), you get thrown in with a bunch of guys you will likely never see again because they probably don't even play on your server.

Immersion: In Vanilla wow, you were a grunt and you knew it. Nowadays they can't wait to make you feel heroic and super-duper important. The tipping point may have been WotLK with Deathknights being these elite troops, but I can let that pass as they are a hero class. With cataclysm it became ridiculous. For the goblins you start off as a rich tycoon who spends his fortune and risks his life to save his people. Only for the guy who was throwing goblins under the bus to be made leader of the race and you are back to being a nobody. It just doesn't mesh well.
CubeTwo

Postby CubeTwo » Wed Mar 08, 2017 11:01 am

Administrator wrote:Have you ever played Counter-Strike, CubeTwo?

I played CS 1.6, but long time ago stoped play (dont know or dont remember why). New cs i dont played.

Administrator wrote: It seems like it's always been pretty popular in Russia, at least to me. I remember bumping into plenty of Russians, even back in the 1.5 days.[/color]

Yes Cs is very popular in Russia\Ukraine. And it was very popular long time ago too, when was internet clubs( internet cafe now) in that days 90% peoples dont have PC at home, and all who want play games go to internet clubs and play games in LAN or city network( but its was not internet, just was LAN with other internet clubs). In that time CS | Wc3 | Dota map | RTS games was very popular and we play that games, and some owners of internet clubs create tournaments with money rewards, it was fan time. Peoples was very sociable and you find new friends and contact. But now in Internet era, peoples not very sociable and do bad things, and in games like Cs | Dota 2 many kids and schoolkid, they do verbal harassment, verbal abuse, so other people not from SNG countries think what all Russia\Ukraine peoples Fucked up. (I do not know how to write correctly what I mean :oops: so if you dont understand it its ok)

Administrator wrote:And for those of you guys who have played WoW, what class was your favorite?

Priest | Paladin

Administrator wrote:And which expansion-era did you think was the best?

burning crusade, Wrath of the Lich King
Administrator
Site Admin

Postby Administrator » Thu Mar 09, 2017 1:24 am

And it was very popular long time ago too, when was internet clubs( internet cafe now) in that days 90% peoples dont have PC at home, and all who want play games go to internet clubs and play games in LAN or city network( but its was not internet, just was LAN with other internet clubs).

Oh man, I LOVED internet cafes!! I miss that era terribly. I understand what you mean about poor behavior online, and I think every country's got its fair share of shrieking 11 year old. All one can do is ignore them, really, and realize that they're just a part of the equation.

Priest | Paladin

Oh man, I really wanted to try both of these, but I never had a chance to play them. Were you a healer when you played these classes?

burning crusade, Wrath of the Lich King

What was Burning Crusade like? I played Vanilla, then came back for the last year or so of Wrath, but I missed BC entirely.

Falsehoods abound in the statements of Torvus, as he is a purveyor of lies. I will help the world differentiate fact from reality.

I think he's mostly just upset that he blew a fortune in gold on worthless gems while I had the foresight to invest in luxury vanity pets that have only increased in value over the years.

This, right here, is case in point. The man was running around without gems and enchants on his gear, missing glyphs, and generally being a knob, intentionally stacking negligible DPS and refusing to execute optimized rotations. When asked, "Why the hell don't you have any gems?", he'd reply by saying that he'd spent all his gold on vanity pets and PRIMORDIAL SARONITE, so that he may one day craft his beloved SHADOWMOURNE.

How am I supposed to respond to this? You know, Torvus - you know that you did this solely to enrage me. That is trolling. Now, in the grand scheme of things, a stupid gem or a glyph or a rotation doesn't matter. It's just a game, and having fun is its purpose; you were, most certainly, having fun. In some abstract sense, you played the game far better than I did. But you hardly even bothered playing the actual game. Rather, you were engaged in some sort of meta-game that transcended the mechanics of WoW and revolved around irritating our guild in the real world.

My point is this - I am nigh certain that Torvus will play Outer Colony in this manner. He might not even bother building a colony, but will just starve his people until they start dying and contract corpse rot, then march them into your lands, just to fan the epidemic. It is very unlikely that Torvus will behave as a rational actor within the confines of the game, because he's operating from a framework outside the game, in the depths of his sick, deranged psyche.

However, I must concede this matter:
Torvus wrote:Go ahead and ask Sam about the time I beat him in Civ V with a DIPLOMATIC VICTORY! For those of you unfamiliar with Civ V, a diplomatic victory requires the UN to elect you leader of the world. This can be tedious enough when making friendships and diplomatic arrangements with NPCs, but should be impossible when the only members of the UN are people, for obvious reasons, but Sam is incapable of standing up to my psychological warfare

This was, probably, the most spectacular game of Civ ever played. I have to give credit where it's due, as winning in this manner against actual people shouldn't be possible. But I'm only half to blame for this calamity, as Imperator was the other party duped by the lunatic, Torvus.

Especially feral spec before Blizzard decided that being able to pick between an ok warrior and an ok rogue was too overwhelming and made separate bear and cat specs.

HAHAHA, oh man, this sentence here precisely summarizes the development trajectory of WoW, at least, while I was paying attention to it.

My favorite class was Shaman (resto spec), and my favorite era was Wrath, although I'd only played during vanilla and wrath. Deathknight was pretty cool, too, and I always thought they had rather neat gear.

Torvus' commentary on the positive aspects of Vanilla is spot on. It had so many things going for it that the game didn't have in its later stages - the world was more interesting, your character felt much more real within the context of the universe, the classes and factions were actually different. The game was just more interesting, in a general sense. World PvP made vanilla an amazing era, and this aspect of the game alone almost makes it top for me. Battlegrounds are just Counter-Strike matches. They don't belong in an MMORPG. You're not changing the world, you're not affecting anyone in any way, you're just jumping into an instance (instances themselves don't really belong in most MMOs) and playing a weird mini-game.

That being said, Vanilla had a great many problems that Wrath seemed to fix. The grinding to reach level 60 always felt insane to me, especially that ~45-54 stretch, before you could run LBRS. I know that leveling is the core of WoW, but when it becomes so arduous, it's just not an appealing aspect of the game, at least for me. All the rested XP made the leveling process a little more tolerable in Wrath, and I think I got my character to level 80 in just a few months that time around. Things like the group finder for 5 mans just made the game feel smoother - it was easier to play, which, for a themepark game like WoW, has some appeal.

I think what it came down to, though, was that I had a better group of friends to play with during Wrath. As a game, I don't know if WoW ever was all that appealing to me, mechanically. But it did succeed tremendously in providing a neat backdrop for hanging out with friends on Ventrilo, and for that reason, it was a decent game in my book.

Return to “General Discussion”